Port Alberni Chinook

Considering this is one of the driest summers we have ever had, My hope is that there will still be a whack of fish that is holding offshore. The guys that are going out there are doing pretty good. If my memory serves me correct I remember a lot of Bamfield residents telling me that in the past sometimes the best fishing at the wall was into Sept. even Oct. If there are fish still holding offshore and we get a bunch of rain this weekend it might make for an interesting derby, (if not then the derby might be the nail in the coffin for this run year) but don't look for these fish to mill around in the Sound, they will more than likly just push right through and head up the river without stopping to feed.

I'll do my part of conservation. I'm not fishing the derby this year.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

With all signs now pointing to very little in the ways of returns (approach lanes empty, Inlet nearly so, the Sound barely showing anything, and basically nada up the river, we now bring you:

quote:COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0706-COMMERCIAL Area D: Chinook gill net, Alberni Inlet - Area 23
Gill nets will open for 4 hours commencing 20:00h Wednesday, September 9 until
00:00 Thursday, September 10 with a possible 4 hour extension as described
below...

Variation Order Numbers 09SAL-23-GN-13,14

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact DFO Port Alberni
250 720 4440

Simply Out Of Control methinks.[V]

Sickened and saddened beyond words.:(
Nog

it seems that the Alberni DFO is out of control. got to do something to stop the reckless fisheries...kick the manager out of DFO office or something.:(

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

With all signs now pointing to very little in the ways of returns (approach lanes empty, Inlet nearly so, the Sound barely showing anything, and basically nada up the river, we now bring you:

quote:COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0706-COMMERCIAL Area D: Chinook gill net, Alberni Inlet - Area 23
Gill nets will open for 4 hours commencing 20:00h Wednesday, September 9 until
00:00 Thursday, September 10 with a possible 4 hour extension as described
below...

Variation Order Numbers 09SAL-23-GN-13,14

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact DFO Port Alberni
250 720 4440

Simply Out Of Control methinks.[V]

Sickened and saddened beyond words.:(
Nog

Disgusting. How can this be justified ?... read a post on another site that said (paraphrase) "we should put DFO in charge of managing pine beetles"...
It really boggles ones mind, to think that these folks are PAID to make INFORMED decisions to manage a resource.

The Derby Weigh In Stations are telling the story. At just after 11 am, 5 into China Creek, 7 to Bamfield, and 6 in Port. Largest is now a 41.8. Next closest: 24.4

EXTREMELY dismal showing on the part of the fish! Damn near nothing as compared to previous years!

Hey DFO, better get those nets back out there - there just might be ONE</u> left! [B)]

Nog

saw many boat out there after 11 am...working too hard to find a spring salmon. At the derby, saw a few coho weighing in...only ONE or TWO springs weighed in this morning.:([xx(][V]

We need the Americans to build a hatchery in Port Alberni as they do on the Columbia, pump out a billion coho and chinook and get returns in the millions. Then you can have your sports and commercial fishery and do away with farm pens.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

WOW....

Yeah.

And here's another wow for you:
Following this week's FN Economic Opportunity fishery, the buyers reported a delivered piece count of just over 7,200. That number was subsequently loudly denied by the FN groups, and pressure was directly applied to the buyers to change their story. Long story short: instead of relying on actual numbers, the fish were tallied via an average weight against total weight. And, the average weight was upped significantly over what every single other sector has realized both in years past and this. Final "adjusted" count rang in at 4,600. This greatly pleased the FN's, as they now can continue to fish unabated until the 7,000 number is "reached" once again. With no on-the-grounds observing, and relying on easily manipulated buyers, the FN's have proudly become the greatest removal mechanism of springs on an obviously troubled run. So much for conservation concerns amongst those who are so often willing to play that particular card! [V]

On other fronts: So that was you Bacon? Missed you by seconds when I was down at the weigh-in, and heard of your catch via cell just as I pulled away. Congratulations! With the fishing as crappy as it is, you have a real Contender there! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Worst catch numbers for any Derby ever held here. I am OFF the water for the first time ever</u> on the last day. No fish = NO Point. Will post final numbers as they become available...

A little more light on the matter at hand:

These fish are sold to standard Buyers, who this year offered a whopping $ 1.50 a pound. These are NOT</u> the quality of ocean trolled fish, and are generally destined to become cat food. For the FN's this means little, as their related expenses are quite low. For the gillnetters, most did not recover fuel expenditures.

The seiners are another story. While the price of the fish themselves was a mere buck fifty, the price of the ROE was better than 7 clams per pound. Thus, when they fished to a number, high-grading of course was occurring. There were several reliable Folks who sat by and watched the brailing of this year's haul to the seines. And while they did include large amounts of mostly DOA sockeye, that also included reasonably large volumes of male chinooks - both mature and jacks. They were worth basically nada, and counted against the number, so were discarded. As a consequence there are many "floaters" in the Inlet, a result of being captured, net squeezed, then "released". The seiners actually did not quite reach their target, but their catch consisted of chiefly large mature hens ripe with mature eggs. NO onboard observers ensure this tasteless practice continues... [V]

All in all a VERY</u> sad performance, and especially so for the resource. The early run was all but decimated, and especially so with the targeted removal of the female component. And at this juncture, there is very little in the way of hope for any late showing to at least attempt to meet escapement requirements.

DFO in action once again. I don't blame the working stiffs who participated - they were only doing what The Dino decreed they could. I am however gravely concerned that the greatest single threat this run faces is the actions of the current "management" regime. [xx(]

Nog

In a few short weeks you'll know your final Chinook returns. If they are critically low, have a field day at DFO's expense..hammer them, embarrass them. Same for the minister as well!

3 days spent and a lot of time on the water.
Lost a few, and kept 6, largest to 23lbs.
Fished everywhere.

WAY fewer boats than any other previous year. Unbelievably few.
Even at the ferry, drove onto the 5:20 - only 3 other boats on the ferry home.

Maybe people were scared off by the Rain, which was Brutal on Saturday morning, or our the poor economy, or the few fish.

This year was pretty good up ontil this weekend. First weekend averaged 6 fish day, with short days. Second weekend 5 fish a day, longer days, last weekend 6 fish a day, this weekend 2 fish a day!

We were targeting springs, and there were a lot more Coho around than springs. Saw a few large springs at the dock, but several boats with 0.

Thanks to the wind (and rain) found a few new sheltered places to fish.

Kirby was dead (for us), as was Whittlestone (for us), we picked up a few on the wall, and down at a new 'secret spot'.

I don't have as many years in as others, is it common that there are so many more Coho than Springs at Derby time?

I'm thinking about skipping the derby next year and fishing more in August. But, will probably just fish more in August and the Derby.

Fishin' anywhere anytime for anything

Back