Port Alberni Chinook

I hear ya Nog and cheers! I guess I am always a little skeptical of the fisheries 'management' in the Canal...not sure best practices are always applied. Hope to be wrong as I see the potential escapement this year as a very positive opportunity to start rebuilding.

Sounds like the river temps are pretty darn warm at the moment and we all know those chinook won't go up unless it cools a little so they may be exposed to increased pressure in the Canal...fingers crossed it works out for them.

Fish First

Cheers
RBF

Kelly

How big were they?
Where is Boundry??
How deep???
What were you using????
Pics?????

C'mon Kid fill us in.
We all want to know.

quote:Originally posted by baddogg

Kelly

How big were they?
Where is Boundry??
How deep???
What were you using????
Pics?????

C'mon Kid fill us in.
We all want to know.

LOL are you kidding!:D you have to put some time in learning.

Mark oldtimer come out fishing. My boats in the water and springs are hittin!

Nothing big just teeners and one around 23-24. Chovies/green white coyote. 25-45ft and boundry is up by bells bay. Trolling the no fishing boundry south of nahmint.

Ahh, thanks Kelly. Doing Sooke early this a.m. with a buddy who keeps his boat in there.

Doing Barkley next week, possibly Tuesday and Wednesday. Will let you know.

:D

LOL are you kidding! you have to put some time in learning

Hmmm, been fishing longer than Kelly has been alive. Much, much longer. Not to say I couldn't learn a thing or two.

Just asking.:)

So, when earlier this week The Dino announced the overturn of the controversial ruling that the recreational sector was limited to one spring over 77cm and one under in the terminal areas of The Alberni Inlet system, many jumped for joy. There really isn't a significant presence of the "under" sized jacks, so this meant that catching a daily 2 fish limit became a much more feasible possibility.

I read that announcement with both a feeling of relief (as I felt that the rule as it stood would likely have the exact opposite effect of that which it was designed for) and yet a stronger feeling of dread. The announcement began with the line "Stronger than anticipated chinook returns to Alberni Inlet..." To me that implied the distinct possibility The Dino was about to announce it's old Buddies in the Bag Fleet were about to be unleashed once again on a barely minimal run yet again...

Thus, when I returned home for a brief day down this morning, that feeling of dread once again came over me as I opened my Emails. aYup, there it was, the VERY thing I had been hoping that some smattering of common sense might prevail and avoid. For your reading displeasure:

quote:Subject: FN0644-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Area B - Alberni Inlet Chinook Opportunity - August 24

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0644-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Area B - Alberni Inlet Chinook Opportunity - August 24

Stronger than anticipated chinook returns to Alberni Inlet have presented an
opportunity for expanded terminal fisheries targeting the enhanced Robertson
Creek hatchery stock. The pre-season forecast of Barkley Sound chinook was
upgraded from 47,000 chinook to 57,000 chinook, which provides a commercial
allocation of approximately 7000 chinook. The Area B seine TAC is 2800.

A seine opening is scheduled for upper Alberni Inlet on Monday August 24 and
Tuesday August 25. The fishery will end when the TAC is achieved. It is
anticipated that a maximum of three seine vessels will participate in this
opening. Vessel participation in this fishery is being coordinated through the
Seine Working Group process by the Area B Harvest Committee.

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Seines open from 06:00 hours until 19:30 hours Monday, August 24 and from 06:00
hours until 19:30 hours Tuesday, August 25 in that portion of Subarea 23-1
bounded in the north by a line from a boundary sign at the Harbour Quay clock
tower in Port Alberni harbour to a boundary sign on the opposite shore of
Alberni Inlet and in the south by a boundary line from the Dunsmuir Pt. light
to a boundary sign on the opposite shore at 49°09.66#146;N latitude, 124°47.72#146;W
longitude (approximately 0.75km north of China Creek breakwater). Minimum bunt
mesh size is 70 mm. The target species is chinook; incidentally caught coho
may be retained. Sockeye, pink, chum and steelhead may not be retained.

All catch must be brailed and the use of power skiffs is approved.

V.O.# 2009-SAL-23-SN-03, V.O.# 2009-SAL-23-SN-04

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
DFO Port Alberni (250) 720-4440

No surprise really I guess. The Bag Fleets have oft carried the day with The Dino, who obviously prefers their favor over that of the troll fleet, the recreational sector, and most unfortunately the health of the resource itself. Given their propensity to miscalculating nearly every run they attempt to forecast (see the related threads regarding the "missing" Fraser sockeye) one would think that erring on the side of caution would be warranted. And even though earlier this year The Dino was publicly considering "conservation measures" to address the low forecast numbers, somehow an additional 10,000 fish have magically appeared in their forecast model. Computer fish that is. The reason the numbers are depressed this year can be traced back to exactly the same type of opening 4 years ago - the brood year for this year's run, combined with unleashing the gillnet fleet as well. And so it is with no surprise again that we witness:

quote:Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject: FN0645-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Area D - Alberni Inlet Chinook
Opportunity - August 24

Stronger than anticipated chinook returns to Alberni Inlet have presented an
opportunity for expanded terminal fisheries targeting the enhanced Robertson
Creek hatchery stock. The pre-season forecast of Barkley Sound chinook was
upgraded from approximately 47,000 chinook to 57,000 chinook, which provides a
commercial allocation of approximately 7000 chinook. This allocation will be
split between gill nets (4200) and seines (2800).

Area D gill nets will open for 4 hours commencing 20:00 hours Monday August 24
until 00:00 hours Tuesday August 25 with a possible 4 hour extension. A second
opening is possible on Tuesday at 20:00h if the available TAC has not been
reached.

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Gill nets open, 20:00 hours until 22:00 hours in that portion of Subarea 23-1 bounded in the north by a line commencing at a boundary sign situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore and in the south by a boundary line from Lone Tree Point to a boundary sign on the opposite shore of Alberni Inlet, and then, from 22:00 hours until 00:00 hours in that portion of Subarea 23-1 bounded in the north by a line commencing at a boundary sign situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore and in the south by a boundary line from Dunsmuir Pt light to the light on the northern end of the China Creek marina breakwater.

The maximum gill net length is 183 meters. Maximum depth is 60 meshes, minimum mesh size is 171 mm, maximum hang ratio is 3:1, corkline to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2.0 m. Alaska Twist and or Multi-strand web may be used. The target species is chinook, incidentally caught coho may be retained. Sockeye, pink, chum and steelhead may not be retained.

Variation Order Numbers 09SAL-23-GN-03

Time after time, run after run, this Department strongly appears to be "managing" our salmon stocks right out of existence. It becomes increasingly apparent that incompetence, zero accountability, and a definite favoring of the harvesters well politically connected rule the day. How long can the resource stand up under these pressures? And the bigger question, how long will we, as citizens concerned with the health of the resource, stand idly by wringing our hands in frustration?

If there ever was a reason for impeaching nearly an entire Federal department, methinks we have realized it now.

More and more, the intended humor in the logo for the T-shirts that are upcoming appears to be not so funny, and actually a rather befitting description of this Beast. Political Mismanagement at it's finest.

DFO_Clown_Logo.jpg

You can sign me off: Disappointed, PO'd beyond belief, and in fact downright ANGRY!
Nog

Out again this morning, relatively dead again. I landed one (darky) and saw a few caught but overall given the number of boats not very good. Started at Lone Tree and ended up at Mactush. One thing that was odd, tons of bait in the canal right now.

Heading out to the Sound tomorrow, hopefully better fishing.

Hello, all.

My choices for tomorrow afternoon are to help paint the house, or get out of the way aka head to the canal for springs.
Hmmm (yeah right)!

How are things over the last few days in Alberni for springs?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Smiley.

p.s. rough locations, depths, etc obviously appreciated

went from Polly's Point to Lone Tree point as a evening bite...14 pound spring salmon today. Tonnes of herring all over. spotted a huge lion surfacing at Coulson's mill.

Hate to say it but I told ya so...and was scoffed at both on this post and in PM's.

I had a whole rant written out and just deleted it. Warm water, low water, the ASSUMPTION that abundance is up (just what is the based on???</u>) does not look good for chinook this year be it an ungraded run size or not.

I think a commercial opening is a mistake BUT I also think 'we' need to look at what impact the derby has on the chinook stocks as well (economics aside of course).

Whatever way I look at it, it bums me out.

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

Thankfully the opening is not on the same week as the derby and with the weather that we are currently receiving there should be lot's of fish on the move, and in time to stack the days leading up to and on derby weekend.

- UNKNOWN -

Hey Unknown..
Once the commercial fleet starts in the canal, there is a Comm. seine/gill openning EVERY WEEK right up to and after the derby.

Last year there was half the number of springs weighed in than usual. People are getting dissappointed coming over here for the derby and there are NO fish around. Last year a week after the derby I witnessed a seine pull in a load of about 40 fish, mostly Coho, there appeared to be only 10 chinook.. BTW..they are ALLOWED keep bycatch Coho!
Pattison owns the seine fleet and money talks..as Nog said.

Well, it was better than staying at home!

Fished Polly's to Lone Tree for over 3 hours tonight.
At bit breezy, used the kicker on the into town tack, and the big motor the other way.
The odd spring coming in, but not many.
Sporties outnumbered by commercials by about 10 to 1!
Hard steering through all of the FN boats from Hoik in.
They should be setting the nets for herring which were so thick that my DR arms were more jumping than vibrating. One swallowed a 6/0 Gammy on a 5" Gator!
Saw a small sea lion having more success than us.
Usually at this time of year the big springs are in for real.
No one at Clutesi table as we headed out and on the return.
Word is that 123 is still very hot.

Smiley.

Hi guys, seiners may be done today as 1 of the 2 got most of his quota yesterday and we'll see what today brings, total of 2800 between the 2 boats. Gillnets got about 1500 or so last night and they're going again tonight. They have 4200 to catch and hopefully can get most of them tonight.

-millsy

Curious how DFO can rationalize an increase in the forecasted return when there is no way of measuring abundance prior to passage at Stamp falls. I THOUGHT that in the absence of any 'sound' information they were SUPPOSED to apply the precautionary approach and not fish until they had solid data.

for starters we all know you cant use the words :Drationalize and DFO in the same sentence

Back