Salmon Point Depth for Chinook

Robert Dee

I fish out front Salmon Point.

The first drop off goes to about 100 feet and I can catch pink and coho fairly easy if they are around. And the occasional Chinook.

I want to target Chinook this week, at the point, is there a recommended depth I should try?

South of quadra the 200 foot range is a killer. Do they stay at that depth as they travel south? Or do they follow the ridge line at the 100 foot level?

Cheers

Last edited:
I fish out front Salmon Point.

The first drop off goes to about 100 feet and I can catch pink and coho fairly easy if they are around. And the occasional Chinook.

I want to target Chinook this week, at the point, is there a recommended depth I should try?

South of quadra the 200 foot range is a killer. Do they stay at that depth as they travel south? Or do they follow the ridge line at the 100 foot level?

Cheers
Green can area- Day time they tend to go deeper. All the jigging guys get their chinooks pretty shallow there this time of year (when winds aren’t like they’ve been). First light/early morning and the last 3 hours of the evening the chinooks tend to come back in shallower in good numbers. Find the bait, drop down into. Doesn’t have to be super deep if you fish early or late in the day. But seems if bait sticks around shallows during the sunny days the chinooks tend to prefer to head out deeper to target deeper bait around that 200-300ft range. Again, generally. For closer to salmon point, try 200ft contour north of salmon point near shelter point and fish down 140 or so on the flood, heading south. Too close to bottom and you start to get pesky undersized lings and rockfish. Be mindful of that Oyster Bay RCA which sticks out there a bit.

Back