Port Alberni Chinook

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Given this system doesn't produce a whole pile of jacks, they now wade through 10 plus fish each in their search. The fish they battle are all over 77, in pretty good shape, so fight long and hard before succumbing to the release. Then, often in hands that know little of fish handling tactics, they are dumped exhausted back into the bathtub warm waters of the Inlet. How many of these fish die as a consequence?

Nog
[/quote]

With all due respect Nog, I'm sure you may pull in 20 plus springs out of the canal on a good day, but Joe Average never does. I've fished the Canal for 20 plus years and I see the same pattern from most fishers. They get up early fish for a couple hours then pack it in for the day. Most guys are never on the water long enough to do much damage. I hear what your saying, I guess I'll have to see myself what is going to happen this summer there.

Regardless, with the second of your scenarios, it really doesn't matter what the regs are. There is always going to be cheaters with no respect for the regs or the resource. That is not the failing of the DFO, that is the fault of our unethical fellow anglers. You can't legislate ethics, you either have them. or you don't.

We used to be able to keep 8 tyees each in the inlet in the old days. Things change, those days are long gone, and will probably never be seen again. As the runs decline the regulations are going to get ever more restrictive. It is the sad reality of the 21st century, with global warming, fish farms, urban sprawl, habitat degadation, pollution, and other factors against the fish somethings gotta give. Enjoy what remains of the fishing while you can, because a return to the old days just ain't gonna happen.

hey island girl that was a nice tyee u and the wife came home with yesterday!!!!i might have 2 take u up on the fishing offer...and come join u on the boat!!!.....and i wont have any coffee!!!LMAO

tips up

quote:Originally posted by bacon

how dare you disrespect the noggin like that:(

I have total respect for Nog, he is one of the most knowledgeable posters on the forum. I always enjoy his posts, and he shares his years of fishing expertise willingly. I intended no disrespect in my reply. I merely hold a differing opinion from him on that subject. Most topics I am in full agreement with him, on this we differ. That is the beauty of living in a democracy, everyone is entitled to voice their own opinion. No offense intended Nog, and I hope none was taken.

Now back to the fishing reports from the inlet.

First off, Nogs 100% right on this one. The over/under 77 rule is going to result 100's-1000's of fish dying for no reason. Second, almost everyone that fishes the sound puts in long days to get their fish and ALOT of people catch 20+ fish a day.

One another note, there has been some springs pushing into the river so theres fish out there. One more week and it should be hot in close.

Agree with Nog. Just as bad as the over/under size limit on springs is the stupid rule of wild versus clipped coho........ I still believe it should be the first you catch regardless of whether it is wild or clipped thus greatly reducing the mortality rate from poorly released fish......... well, my rant for the day. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Nope.....true Alberni poachers will take what they want anyways . Despite the rules. Remember, the law is only good for honest people. The knuckle heads will always find a way to off load what they have caught in the morning and be right back at it in the pm.

Unfortunate truth.

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

...That is the beauty of living in a democracy, everyone is entitled to voice their own opinion. No offense intended Nog, and I hope none was taken.

LOL! First, thanks for the overly kind words. :D
I have a LOT thicker skin that that my Friend! And I happen to concur that it is indeed for the better than we can and do differ. OMG if everyone ticked the same tock, would the world EVER</u> be a BORING place!! [xx(]

OK, so not everyone can or does land 20 plus a day. Say it's ten. The message is the same whether it's five or forty. Too many hook-ups, likely more than a few repeat jobs, and the stress added to the ones discarded simply ain't worth the risk. MHO as noted.
And then there are those who can, do and repeatedly hook more than 20 an outing. They exist, but generally their handling skills are a tad better than the average. Still an impact.

I agree with your assessment of the latter scenario. They will always exist, and all we can do is our best to educate, or get them nailed. However, there is a good number of those who "sit on the fence". Again, MHO. I do believe that the regulation as it exists has the probability of enticing many who otherwise wouldn't cross the line, into giving thought to doing so. Human nature, and in this case being led directly into personal internal conflict. While I like to think most wouldn't, the practical side of me understands there are those who will.

Unkown obviously has access to real information about the way things are run here. Good point.

Usual Suspects took the day off - Barbee at their place in 45 minutes, so I'm fleeing. They, and I (Ukee) are back at it again anon. Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by ChromeSweetChrome

almost everyone that fishes the sound puts in long days to get their fish and ALOT of people catch 20+ fish a day.

Not looking for a big argument here guys, but my post was referring to the inlet (not the sound). Most guys in the canal don't fish long days because of the thermal winds that start up. A large percentage of the boats in the canal are smaller and leave the water pretty early. Half the time there's hardly any boats left fishing the canal well before noon. Maybe the guides or top rods who put in long days catch 20 plus springs a day in the canal. As I said though, I think Joe Average rarely sees those kinds of numbers of springs in a single day in the inlet.

It's really a difference of philosophies, guys in the freshwater are a whole lot more prone towards practicing catch and release. Generally guys in the salt are way less inclined towards C&R. I'm not really expecting to change anyone's opinion, just letting you know there are different viewpoints out there.

Back to fishing

Fished yesterday morning from Port. We started at holme island trolling for some sockeye, never had a bite.Changed to spring gear when we hit Coulsens. saw a few springs landed at lone tree. we trolled to China creek and fueled up. We saw some at the cleaning table all in the twentys, it seems bait at thirty feet is the ticket. Our turn was on the way home we landed a 26lb beauty at 57 feet with green and chrome spoon.

I think the one over one under REALLY needs to be re thinked.. are the commercials going to take one over one under?
Those fish are BEAT.. when they are finally netted beside the boat.

BTW.. they are HERE......:D

On the topic of the commercials, has there been any announcements regarding gillnetter or seiner openings in the canal before the derby.

Tuna are now for sale for two dollars a pound at fishermans wharf, seems cheap enough. They are at the spring bandit

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

On the topic of the commercials, has there been any announcements regarding gillnetter or seiner openings in the canal before the derby.

...not yet. This year the commercials are truly getting the shaft - DFO is not making it very easy for the few remaining fisherman to make a living. Most have given up on salmon for this season and many have turned to tuna and other species. There will be more openings along the coast, but at best they are sporadic and not well thought out. There are fair ways to let all user groups share in what little excess bounty there is - DFO will need to grow balls in order to facilitate us all. Next year it could be the sporty's getting the shaft, so all I can say is that we all need to figure out how to work together so that we all may meet in the middle to help create fair and equitable opportunities for everyone.

- UNKNOWN -

I feel sorry for the commercial trollers. They are a selective harvester unlike the netters. I have no problem fishing beside commercial trollers, I actually kind of enjoy seeing them on the water. The seiners especially I won't miss, gillnetters either. I doubt the DFO will entirely deny the netters an opening. It would just be nice if they didn't allow any openings before the derby.

Out this morning, didn't start until 7:30am but I don't think it matter. Appeared dead, I only saw one net out and there was alot of boats out this morning (more than Sockeye)..........not looking good right now.

Hey Kelly,
I won a trip to the Bahamas today as well. All I had to do was send them some money, i wasn't sure how that was winning.;)

This is great to see but, in my opinion, will help further rationalize the commercial fishery that is so typical in the Canal in August.

Asking sporties to go one over/one under then having a commercial fishery makes no sense, this opens the door.

Oh well, I've lost faith anyway. Politics and fisheries management might as well be called the same thing...a joke.

The switcheroo away from the one over / under ruling is welcome news.
However... There were NO commercial possibilities at the run size they were operating on that decreed that adjustment. Watch carefully what the interpretation of "Stronger than anticipated chinook returns" means!
I'm hoping it ain't "Loose the Bag Fleets" and that just enough pressure has been applied to make that so! But I ain't holdin' my breath! [B)]

Cheers,
Nog

Back