O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Ran over from Nanaimo to Sandheads this morning fished 1000 -1500 picked up our limit of 8 most at 65ft.
Not a lot of action for the amount of boats but was a good day.

Meant to ask if anyone lost their gear around the T10 on Saturday? Watched a flasher swim by us about 2' below the surface....positive it was still attached to a fish given it's speed. :p

Keep at it and you'll get rewarded. The late fish are much better biters. Today from 3-8 we landed 6 of 8 and shoulda been 7 as one slipped through a small hole in my net.

Fished south arm amongst the armada. Most fish were 70-85' for us. image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Late start this afternoon: lines in at 1 pm at T10. trolled around there for an hour and a half ish with nothing doing. Moved down to Sandheads and had lines in there around 3 Had a double header right away and got 1. Pretty steady action until we got our limit of 8 and out of there at 6. Hooks at 70' and 60' with 3 dummy flashers on 1 side and 2 dummy flashers on the other. Water was beautiful and calm. There is a good chance I will be making more runs to Sandheads.

SOCKEYE COMING DOWN INSIDE
As a kid (and i,m old) i grew up in Fishermen,s Cove.
When the socks came down the inside in big numbers like this yr. alot of the commie fishermen (like my dad) and those in Horseshoe bay and Gibsons would fish them along Popham island , Paisley island , Worlecom island.
With good results. Kept them out of the huge fleet off the river.
Maybe worth a try for those living close by. I,m away for a week but will try when i get home.

Meant to ask if anyone lost their gear around the T10 on Saturday? Watched a flasher swim by us about 2' below the surface....positive it was still attached to a fish given it's speed. :p
We were just off the red buoy at the South Arm yesterday at aprox. 10am and my wife asks why is there a flasher swimming by ... green trimmed flasher just a couple feet below the surface.

Nice catch ! guys ... i fished T10 the whole day yesterday 1 in the box , gambled wrong should have hit sandheads aahh !! .... it was dead all around T10 to North , lol couldn't pull my self away and say move on great day on the water tho :cool:. looking forward to the big wave of Stuarts . my one tasty sock Cheers!!
Sockeye aug14.jpg

Anyone out there today fishing sockeye? How's the weather at sand heads, T10 or north arm. Looks a little breezy on the fishweather app. Would appreciate a weather and or fishing report from anyone who made it out. Thx.

Bad dad for wind//waves. Many boats had troubly getting out to the grounds. Those who did scrathed out a few but definetly tough today.

Anyone out there today fishing sockeye? How's the weather at sand heads, T10 or north arm. Looks a little breezy on the fishweather app. Would appreciate a weather and or fishing report from anyone who made it out. Thx.

SOCKEYE COMING DOWN INSIDE
As a kid (and i,m old) i grew up in Fishermen,s Cove.
When the socks came down the inside in big numbers like this yr. alot of the commie fishermen (like my dad) and those in Horseshoe bay and Gibsons would fish them along Popham island , Paisley island , Worlecom island.
With good results. Kept them out of the huge fleet off the river.
Maybe worth a try for those living close by. I,m away for a week but will try when i get home.

Pretty sure most of that area is RCA now capt...

Fished T10 and north of it Friday am. took me until 9 to find a school then managed 5 in about 30 mins and had to leave early due to wife's commitment that I was not allowed to be late for...probably only needed another 30 mins for the last 3 fish but oh well. Then Sun hit T10 and picked up an undersize spring and 13lb spring (well, actually 12lb 8oz) for my buddies 82 yr old dad (was fighting hard to keep the smile down) in the first 20 mins but couldn't find any sockeye. Long story short I found a school south of T10 thanks to some guidance from a good guy on the forum and then the waves picked up and saw the wind warning so figured I better pack it in. Ended the day with the one spring and two sockeye and lost a couple. I was kicking myself for leaving the bait at home as it probably would have been better to try for springs. They should be around in decent numbers now. Saw a guy pick up a decent spring at the coal port sat morn taking my kids on a boat ride too...just so hard to not target the socks as we have a few years of not being allowed near them.

And, what a gong show sun! saw guys wrapped around traps. Saw two boats snagged up riggers with each other guys pulling off the awesome cut through everyone else technique....jeeze...we need to put some traffic lanes out there. I miss the week day fishing.

photo.JPG

i dont have chart with RCA ,s on it in front of me , but i would think if one went a mile off shore you would be out of rca and still in the path.
out towards the halibut and macCall banks

Fished T10 and north of it Friday am. took me until 9 to find a school then managed 5 in about 30 mins and had to leave early due to wife's commitment that I was not allowed to be late for...probably only needed another 30 mins for the last 3 fish but oh well. Then Sun hit T10 and picked up an undersize spring and 13lb spring (well, actually 12lb 8oz) for my buddies 82 yr old dad (was fighting hard to keep the smile down) in the first 20 mins but couldn't find any sockeye. Long story short I found a school south of T10 thanks to some guidance from a good guy on the forum and then the waves picked up and saw the wind warning so figured I better pack it in. Ended the day with the one spring and two sockeye and lost a couple. I was kicking myself for leaving the bait at home as it probably would have been better to try for springs. They should be around in decent numbers now. Saw a guy pick up a decent spring at the coal port sat morn taking my kids on a boat ride too...just so hard to not target the socks as we have a few years of not being allowed near them.

And, what a gong show sun! saw guys wrapped around traps. Saw two boats snagged up riggers with each other guys pulling off the awesome cut through everyone else technique....jeeze...we need to put some traffic lanes out there. I miss the week day fishing.

View attachment 13596

Its the same as the Cap, Gong Show!!!.... There are already rules of the water, Guides go by all the time, "RIGHT ROD TO ROCKS" and if someone gets a big fish on, everyone gets out of their way and lets the boat fight the fish in open waters.

If more people knew that we'd have a orderly time out there....... well maybe!!!

And lots of the guides dont go by that rule ether !!!

I would go with that too. Fished different areas where SOME of the guides were the worst offenders for cutting across the grain of the way everybody else was fishing. I kind of gave them the benefit of the doubt thinking they're fishing for a living and trying to get their customer's into fish but... just the same when everybody is fishing along the coastline does anybody need to go in and out?

When fishing for socks I need the lines straight behind the boat, if tide is pulling the lines sideways I'm going the wrong way.
Doesn't seem to bother chinook

Canso makes a good point and it's the way you should be fishing at the mouth of the fraser when the tide is really running, it varies with the tide. for people to say you go the same directions all the time there is nuts.

a couple of things some people need to realize that fish there and want to stay outta trouble is this. 1st don't even think about fishing the tide changes unless you are using 15# cannon balls, and 2nd don't even think about trolling with your kicker. ( unless you are off on your own, if you are in the thick of it you are asking for trouble, and will find it imho)

Was out today.....north arm down to T10 from noon til about 7 when our steering went. Caused a hell of a **** show and tangle of the gear. Lost a nut on the steering and had to putt back in at about 5 kts with me steering or assisting by hand on the mains. Ugh....what a pain. Big thanks to the only boat who slowed to see if we were okay or needed a tow when we were finally back at the Bell on our way into Jericho. Blue top on the boat but due to the sun couldn't see the name on the boat...big thanks! :cool:

As for the fishing.....didn't see a net in the air....no fish caught by any boats we saw; we had one hit that popped the clip but didn't stick around. Actually....BonChovy did show up and nailed 2 in short order but that was it.

If anyone is thinking of fishing the Bell in along the channel markers off Spanish a Banks, TONS of bait along there marked on our slow limp in. Saw a few sox in there jumping too.

Back