O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Was out today.....north arm down to T10 from noon til about 7 when our steering went. Caused a hell of a **** show and tangle of the gear. Lost a nut on the steering and had to putt back in at about 5 kts with me steering or assisting by hand on the mains. Ugh....what a pain. Big thanks to the only boat who slowed to see if we were okay or needed a tow when we were finally back at the Bell on our way into Jericho. Blue top on the boat but due to the sun couldn't see the name on the boat...big thanks! :cool:

As for the fishing.....didn't see a net in the air....no fish caught by any boats we saw; we had one hit that popped the clip but didn't stick around. Actually....BonChovy did show up and nailed 2 in short order but that was it.

If anyone is thinking of fishing the Bell in along the channel markers off Spanish a Banks, TONS of bait along there marked on our slow limp in. Saw a few sox in there jumping too.

Hmm, just as I always suspicioned, loose nut behind the wheel:p

seriously tho sorry to hear, hope its back in action soon

Nice catch ! guys ... i fished T10 the whole day yesterday 1 in the box , gambled wrong should have hit sandheads aahh !! .... it was dead all around T10 to North , lol couldn't pull my self away and say move on great day on the water tho :cool:. looking forward to the big wave of Stuarts . my one tasty sock Cheers!!
View attachment 13581

Stuarts are already in the lake, the ones coming are Adams fish.

Weatherman says windy today"???? I don't know if he's lying or not flags are hanging straight. Would like to take some kids out but not in the wind , I like caoes

Weatherman says windy today"???? I don't know if he's lying or not flags are hanging straight. Would like to take some kids out but not in the wind , I like caoes

He also said it was to blow up to 25 yesterday evening....which the complete opposite happened as the breeze earlier in the day died right off and the water laid right by about 7 at the latest. Sat on the patio at the Yacht Club til 10 after our fiasco and no sign of the rumoured 25. :p

Good old WeatherOffice.ec.gc.ca :rolleyes:

I looked at a few webcams and it looks pretty nice out there usually I just read the halibut bank buoy report and make my decision from that but today I don't believe what they say --- but if it's windy it will be rough keeping rods going and steering with 3 kids sighhhh --

I looked at a few webcams and it looks pretty nice out there usually I just read the halibut bank buoy report and make my decision from that but today I don't believe what they say --- but if it's windy it will be rough keeping rods going and steering with 3 kids sighhhh --

It's currently blowing NW 13 at Sandheads.

This sucks the wife made the decision no fishing now I have to go to the PNE no fishing for me but super dogs it's rough being a grandpa sometimes

Hmm, just as I always suspicioned, loose nut behind the wheel:p

seriously tho sorry to hear, hope its back in action soon

Hahaha......should be a quick fix as it was a nut that came off the SeaStar. Could have fixed out there but it would appear the nut either bounced off the back or went down one of the scuppers in the transom/stern right below the unit. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Came out the south arm at 6:30am, large rollers with chop on top. Water calmed down slightly at 9:30 then bite turned on. Quickly tubing 8 and got back before the commercial opening at 11am

Came out the south arm at 6:30am, large rollers with chop on top. Water calmed down slightly at 9:30 then bite turned on. Quickly tubing 8 and got back before the commercial opening at 11am

Canso....were you down south around Sandheads?

Yes,120' to 220' of water, sounder was full most of the time. We would pass over one school then a minute later the screen would fill up again. But nothing till 9:30.

When fishing for socks I need the lines straight behind the boat, if tide is pulling the lines sideways I'm going the wrong way.
Doesn't seem to bother chinook

you have never hooked sox on a turn or speed change or trolling across the tide? try it, it often triggers strikes....fish more, it'll happen.

Yes,120' to 220' of water, sounder was full most of the time. We would pass over one school then a minute later the screen would fill up again. But nothing till 9:30.

And I assume the usual depth range? Thanks for the report!

you have never hooked sox on a turn or speed change or trolling across the tide? try it, it often triggers bites....fish more, it'll happen.

Yes, I get fish on turns and speed changes, but

I get more fish when the lines are straight for sockeye. You can't always troll parallel to the shore at sandheads.

I've put in my share of sockeye days and produce when most can't, I'm not an armchair fish magician like yourself.

I get more fish when the lines are straight for sockeye. You can't always troll parallel to the shore at sandheads.

I've put in my share of sockeye days and produce when most can't, I'm not an armchair fish magician like yourself.

:) Well, this season has had lots of armchair fishing on my part but you're going to need to fish a lot more to catch up with me Canso... I may be back in action chartering and guiding again next year.....it has been a welcome change to fish when I want.... Lol. :)

Thinking of heading out over the next couple of days...wondering what depth you were getting them at Canso? Anybody think there's any chance of anything out there tomorrow after the commercial opening? Anyone have a report from late in the day?

65'-85' I will be out everyday this week. commercial opening was in the river, there was a troller at sandheads on Sunday and today but they don't affect fishing.

OMG!! You didn't go there did you??

Back