Nog's Needle - The Good News

Nice looking spoons, dude.

Once you get things in order i would love to fly one. Springfever has a great question regarding speed. Await your answer

Nog-love the spoon but I have a few questions. You are a commercial troller and these were tested on a troller-does that mean they have to be fished at commercial troll speeds? I note that they weigh almost a 1 oz and are heavier than most spoons of comparable size -What's your take on troll speed for sporty's with this spoon-also bare or behind a flasher and if so what leader length-5 ft?

Excellent Question! And right therein is a lot of the reason they took so damn long to develop!

We first worked these spoons up to give the Right Action at 2.7 knots. Once that was achieved, we began to play around with the various bends and depth of concaves to apply that Right Action over a wider range of speeds. At first, going faster was an issue, whereas moving them slower presented little in the way of problems. In effect, what we were seeking was something that could be run effectively at hootchie / flasher speed, up to approaching that of plugs.

Then of course I moved the project to a sports rig (many in fact). Again, we sought that same Right Action at a wide range of varying speeds.

Several years of playing with the parameters, and last year we finally developed one that produces the Right Action anywhere between 2.2 to 3 knots. Beyond 3 knots (ie the idea of running these alongside plugs) works, but in the odd occasion they may spin. There is a remedy to that by relaxing the bends ever so slightly, but I would not suggest doing so unless you are dedicating That spoon to That task. These are TOUGH to modify, and once done, Tough to bring back!

Slower than that, almost right down to dead sockeye slow, the action is exactly what we were seeking.

I have run them occasionally behind flashers, and while that will work (5 - 6 foot lead) that was not my intent from neither a sporting nor commercial application. On the commercial rig, it tends to do best when swum solo, usually above (and behind) a short flasher below. Same is true for sportfishing. Either solo, or IMHO even better just above and behind a dummy flasher, is where it Shines. And a hell of a LOT more FUN fighting just the fish (and not the flasher) in that application.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll buy a few to give them a whirl, no brainer. Who doesn't love to try a new spoon? Especially one as sexy looking as those. Awesome looking spoon, 'Nog.

Army and Navy In Langley and New West would be a good place to sell then Matt .......

Been waiting for mine since you ever suggested selling them ... Sure Hope I can get a few. They look great Congrats to you ! I hope your successful in your Ventures !

Being one of the choosen to play with the proto types I can attest that they work and work dam well. We've fished various versions over the last couple of years, both on the WCVI and the ECVI. Being a sporty they troll fine between the 2.5 to 3.0 knots that we usually haul around at. As to there fishability, they are a go to for us, springs, coho primarily for us. Usually the first lure we splash and last to be washed off. Can not wait to get a hold of the gold model......dummy flasher being the ticket. Being of heavier weight, means more meat in the spoon.....have yet to have one twist or bend out of shape. Testament to there robust construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will definitely be getting my hands on a couple. BTW Nog glad you made them here and not overseas (hope there's a Canadian flag on the package)

Cheers

Had an opportunity to fish one of these killers yesterday :)

Had Spring Fever fishing chovies on one side and a Nog's Needle on the the other. Fishing the waters of Campbell River.

The Nog's Needle produced 3 beautiful chinook prior to Spring Fever switching to a spoon :)

For the rest of the afternoon all I kept hearing was.... "I am going have to get me one of those"

I assume you will post the web site address. Or do you have it already? Been waiting since your first post regarding this lure.........great job!!

Had an opportunity to fish one of these killers yesterday :)

Had Spring Fever fishing chovies on one side and a Nog's Needle on the the other. Fishing the waters of Campbell River.

The Nog's Needle produced 3 beautiful chinook prior to Spring Fever switching to a spoon :)

For the rest of the afternoon all I kept hearing was.... "I am going have to get me one of those"

It was an eye opener to be sure-while the chovies produced-they got a lot of dogfish and smaller Springs-Nogs needle produced consistently bigger springs and good clean hook-ups. I switched cause the doggies nailed 4 teaser heads and I didn't have Nogs Needle. LOL

Looks like a real KILLER, cant wait to give it a whirl out there. When the painted finishes are offered will there be any UV or glow properties on the spoon? Typically when we're doing a needlefish presentation its deep and dark down there, so it is a big help to have those properties present on the lure.

The website is well under-way and the address will surely be posted here. All details regarding pricing, shipping ect. will be made available through the website, which is slated to be released in the second half of July.

As we progress into the fall, we will be working on further painted finishes and smaller sizes to have available for the 2015 season. GLO/UV will certainly be added to the painted spoons in various finishes.

Thank You.

Thanx for the quick reply! If you are considering painted finishes a "cookies n cream" + "kitchen sink" type of colour scheme of a half black half UV white on the front (as opposed to only a thin black stripe now) add a thin green stripe on the top, then a full glow back. This would be a killer needlefish imitation for down deep.

I can hardly wait, the sooner the better. As long as I can gt some before the second week of August I will be happy, it is just the waiting is killing me.

These things are like salmon crack. They can't leave it alone and they can't get off it.... :) One side of the boat today my normal gear the other side a gold Nog's Needle. Just like yesterday with SF with his bait on one side and a Nog's Needle on my side. The Nog's was catching the bigger fish and more of them. No small fish, no hake and no dogs on the Nog's Needlefish. Can't say the same for my normal gear today.

Had so much luck with one Nog's Needlefish I had to put one on the other line leading to a double header and the family and I heading for home.

I need more spoons...... I am so afraid of losing one. It would ruin my day to lose one right now.

lookin' good matt!

Continuing on....This spoon definitely had it's R&D done I will am choppin at the bit to get these puppies.. that gold one sounds like the ticket.....:cool:

Back