Ideas wanted for new tackle stations/storage inside the cabin

wdlfbio

Ok folks. We’re starting to think about #3. Biggest change is that I want to go from seating for 6 inside the cabin down to 4-5. Leaning more towards 4. If we have more than 4, 1-2 others can nap on the bean bags. Seats will still have shockwave suspension and swivel bases.

This is the boat we’re keeping. It needs to be set up for all the fun out of Westport. That means cough, cough, ugh, salmon fishing too.

I’d like to have 1-2 nice tackle stations inside the cabin, 1 with some sort of table top for food prep. No sink, no fridge, no stove. Useful storage doors, drawers, cubbies, etc. The other for fishing tackle, tools,, etc.

Minutes 3-4 show the interior seating,
From front to aft, I’m thinking right behind the Capt and mate seats. Remove both middle seats and shorten the entire cabin by the length of those seats (18” or so).
IMG_2892.jpeg

There will still be a Capt side door and drop-down curtains for the aft of the cabin. May or may not do a mate’s door. I’d also like to take a few inches off the cabin length and slide the whole house aft a few inches.

I’m figuring the tackle stations between the helm and buddy seats so that buddy seats are as far back as can be, which means more comfort for them. And, the buddy seats will swivel aft while we’re trolling, so I don’t want tackle stations in the way.

I’m thinking about having 3-4 drawer rows at the bottom, FACING INBOARD. These would start at the floor and go about 18-20” tall. They could be about 24” deep and 12-13” wide. Maybe more like 2 trays at the bottom, each for 2 Plano 3700 tackle boxes end to end (I have boat tools in 4 waterproof stowaways). Then a drawer or two for larger items.
IMG_5570.jpeg

Above those have side x side trays for 10 Plano 3700 boxes that FACE AFT. That compartment would be 24” x 16” deep x 20” tall. We’re pushing 40” tall, or so.
IMG_5565.png

The port side could have more Plano boxes, but for sure areas for boat food, meal prep, and the champagne/wine chiller 🤣🤣

Show me what you have and like, what you’ve had and didn’t end up liking, or what you’ve seen that you think would be cool. I need ideas of what to have for these things. Please.

personally i'd have them at the back or even built boxes to open onto the rear deck if your fishing you want to be on the rear deck not walking in and out of the cabin ... open back or closed in with door/ swing or slide to side ? ????

I have a freshwater sink with 3 Plano boxes under it and another basin in the transom already.
IMG_3898.jpegIMG_5111.jpegIMG_1279.jpegAlso have a good sized storage tray in each cockpit gunnel. Removable filet table fits on the transom walkthrough. I’m very happy with how that area is set up.

I opted for a series of ten plastic boxes, 5 of the most used stack under the ” desk “ / work table…

Attachments

• F5ADC2F0-ACBB-424A-90E1-1BEA0D0CCDDB.jpeg
    F5ADC2F0-ACBB-424A-90E1-1BEA0D0CCDDB.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 91
I spent 1/2 hour going through your build thread for ideas. Feral 2 has flip down foot rests. I’ve been thinking about built in, but as storage too.

I wish I had this problem.
Live vicariously. Share ideas 👍

Attachments

• IMG_5579.jpeg
    IMG_5579.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 64
Best thing we ever did on the big boat was make a huge drawer that fits plano boxes vertically. I'll see if I can dig up a picture

It's a work boat so it's not intended to be fancy just 100 percent function over form. Maybe it sparks an idea for your boat which is a beauty. We have a work table bench on the back of the wheelhouse and put a drawer under it. Super functional. It can hold about 16 or so plano boxes.

20230206_121136.jpg

i don’t fish it like this… rod rack is for locking storage while i’m reloading between trips…

Attachments

• B79A0D39-C72F-4F21-9832-A3FE26BA8A78.jpeg
    B79A0D39-C72F-4F21-9832-A3FE26BA8A78.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 75
I’ve got drawers on the right that keep all my terminal gear / teasers swivels hooks line and all the essentials then all my bigger stuff is in totes on the port there

Attachments

• IMG_6976.jpeg
    IMG_6976.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 69
I like that idea better than the Scotty holders. Probably have space around the transom.

I'd make sure you have at least one drawer that's deep enough to store you flashers on edge. That way you can dado a piece of HDPE to hold them vertical. And you can remove the HDPE and flashers when you are not salmon fishing if you want to store extra tuna gear.

One idea is that you could line one of the drawers on the back deck with UV strip lights with an external on/off switch to quickly charge up any glow gear before sending it down. Woolridge did something similar on one of their boats which I thought was a good idea.

63F296D8-C03C-49D8-8C6B-15694D99C699.jpeg

I had what I think is a great idea. Even though we already have a smooth ride (catamaran), I’m always looking to improve it. Instead of keeping the helm where it is and putting the tackle statins behind Erica and I, I might move the helm aft 11” and build the stations in front of the helm and glove compartment.
IMG_5614.jpeg
Build a taller version of 1 of these in each side. Add 1-2 drawers and 1-2 Plano boxes. Have a door for the plano boxes, but no door for the drawers. Those would each get a slam latch. I don’t need the space beside the Plano boxes, so I could save 4” there. Planos are only 9”.
IMG_5610.png

I’d leave the cuddy door right where it is. The drawers and Plano boxes door would face inward. I’d have to move the 12” Axiom so it wouldn’t be a head hazard but would be within reach of the helm. Best of all, it moves me and Erica aft 11” or so. The further aft we are, the more comfortable we are.

Pretty sure the transom will get a redo also. A filet station in each corner. Raise the current height about 6” for comfortable filleting. Under the stbd filet table would be a bleed basin. Under that will remain the battery switches and Scotty fuses. Add another storage cabinet beside that. I can add depth to the existing freshwater port sink. Hanging storage for hooks, leaders, etc after they’re rinsed off. Then more storage. Under the sink will remain 3 Plano boxes. Move my burnewiin mounts to the rails of the transom walkthrough.
IMG_5613.jpeg
Comments and critique (not about my skilled finger drawings!)

Attachments

• IMG_5610.png
    IMG_5610.png
    445.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 11
Back