Vancouver Car Show - March 2024

Bill 310

Crew Member
We went to the opening day of the car show today at the Convention Centre. It was the first show since Covid. It was reasonably busy.

For the two of us our tickets were $26.00, the coat check was $10,00 and parking was $30.00. We bought our tickets early with the max discount.

The coat check guy had a max of maybe 30 coats checked.

There was a long line when the show opened as they weren't really ready to manage all the people who had already purchased tickets. Everyone had to have their tickets scanned and then be handstamped even though "Tickets are non-refundable and valid for a one time use. They cannot be used for re-entry".

Overall the show was underwhelming. Not every brand was represented. It was sort of like paying to go to an Auto Mall

Some manufacturers: i.e. Mazda, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Kia, Honda, were missing from the show. Genesis didn't reallly have a booth but had some cars sitting around the show.

A few of the big dealer conglomerates like Dilawari had displays.

Manufacturers didn't have their full line represented at the show.

Their was a line up of people and their kids wanting to get their picture taken in the Cybertruck.

If I was 10 years old that would have been a really cool thing to get to sit in a Cybertruck and have my parents take my picture.

If we had grandkids I would be definately taking them to do that.

The free test ride area wasn't busy, but then not everyone wants to test drive car on a preset route in downtown Vancouver on a weekday afternoon.

1710995945220.png

Today I was looking in particular for Chrysler, Honda, BMW and Mercedes Benz. All four were not there. One rep from another brand said the same thing happened in 2008 where some major brands did not think auto shows were worth the cost and effort, but then they started to participate again.

They used to do a list of the trade shows and what the attendance numbers were, and the auto show was always the highest. BC Place is a better venue, in my opinion.

The EV displays were plentiful.
Lexus makes a fine SUV, the interiors are luxurious but not space tech looking like some.
Tesla Cyber Truck looks like dead tech already.

Back