Jughead new!

Jughead meet LED

Just got back from Winter Harbour where I had a chance to try a Jughead with a pearl glow wench and a double flash LED. Hadn't intended to go off-shore so had no anchovys . I thought I'd give this rig a whirl-Had only one!! Jigger Jim gave me the anchovy head Juggie to try and I rigged it with the Wench and LED as shown. Sept 4th-pretty slow off-shore- put it down and in an hour took 2 springs to 20lbs and 1- 10 lb coho. A terrific strike and release at 200 ft of wire-line is peeling like crazy and I can't get the rod out of the holder easily-then it is all over-breaks off-May have been a very large hali as they are prone to the wench and LED's. This was not a full test that I usually run on gear but it did make me want to try it again under more structured circumstances

Attachments

• DSC01183.jpg
    DSC01183.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 530
Good to see fever! Thanks for posting that. Glad you're giving Jughead a good rub.
Some will say "Pay more attention!" but, how ready can one be? I know what it's like when fish hit a Jughead. They hit like a truck. I've never used the LED's but when I was testing Jughead a couple years ago at Great Bear, 4:30 am with gear in the water. White painted Jughead with Double Trouble and no flasher on one side and spatter back glow hootchie on the other with a snap-glow kids earing from the dollar store in it, glow/green flasher.
Jughead went off with the rod touching the water, line peeling out. The boat literally shook when it hit. Couldn't get the rod out of the holder either. Released the drag, got the rod up, turned the boat slightly to start quartering towards the fish that still hadn't slowed down. Then the other rod went off in the old lady's hands as she was bringing up the other downy, which snapped off about 10 seconds later. Mine never stopped running.... took my hand-carved fiberglass Jughead with him too.

Ok ...I'm going to show Double Trouble. This is with the new colour-match glow Nano Jughead...

DT 1.jpg

DT 2.jpg

Shouldn't even be allowed to use this thing. Even I salivate when I look at it, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see fever! Thanks for posting that. Glad you're giving Jughead a good rub.
Some will say "Pay more attention!" but, how ready can one be? I know what it's like when fish hit a Jughead. They hit like a truck. I've never used the LED's but when I was testing Jughead a couple years ago at Great Bear, 4:30 am with gear in the water. White painted Jughead with Double Trouble and no flasher on one side and spatter back glow hootchie on the other with a snap-glow kids earing from the dollar store in it, glow/green flasher.
Jughead went off with the rod touching the water, line peeling out. The boat literally shook when it hit. Couldn't get the rod out of the holder either. Released the drag, got the rod up, turned the boat slightly to start quartering towards the fish that still hadn't slowed down. Then the other rod went off in the old lady's hands as she was bringing up the other downy, which snapped off about 10 seconds later. Mine never stopped running.... took my hand-carved fiberglass Jughead with him too.

Ok ...I'm going to show Double Trouble. This is with the new colour-match glow Nano Jughead...

View attachment 8918

View attachment 8919

Shouldn't even be allowed to use this thing. Even I salivate when I look at it, lol.

Oohhh, nano size me likey.
Those look like they would fit the squirts better than the small.....correct?

Just got my package today, they look great, tomorrow will tell the story. Going out with the misses tomorrow, hopefully SHMBO will hook into a nice one. Thanks

ooooh ya... we're witnessing the evolution of Juggy, lol. Nano Juggies. Love 'em. Very difficult to make tho. Having about 50% failure off the table, then about 25% failure in post production. Not too many make it to the vapor bath stage, as yet.
Nano Juggies with more than one colour are more difficult yet and require full attention during production. I had a handful of them until yesterday then my buddy took every last one I had. He was like Golum and "My Preciousssss!", lol. Won't answer my phone calls now ...bastid!

So far glow and clear but I really havent had a chance to sample the other colours you sent.
That green looks wicked though.......too many choices LOL

In my quest to dial in the Jughead, I made these up based on your pic of Double Trouble.

I used a Glow gumpucky in the heads to take up a bit of the loose slack and also used spacer beads so that the eye of the hoochies can be clearly seen by the fish.

(these are the original handpoured Juggies)

I like to use as big aJuggy head I can get away with for the application because I think the bigger the head and the less it has to drag behind it, the better the action will be......which is why I used the gumpuckies to fill up the space in the head and stop it flopping around too much loose and this way the action is transferred to the hoochy body more.......

Well that's my theory anyway.........:cool:

(On that second hoochy I cut and filed a plastic hoochy head to fit inside the needlfish to make the needlefish head look a bit bigger and yet still have a narrow body profile)

002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my jugheads last week and I am excited to give them a go. Thanks AJ for the extra pack and a really nice looking product and good service.

Cannibal chris

Thanks AJ. Jugheads received, they look great. Looking forward to trying them in the fall chum fishery in CR.
Gene

In my quest to dial in the Jughead, I made these up based on your pic of Double Trouble.

I used a Glow gumpucky in the heads to take up a bit of the loose slack and also used spacer beads so that the eye of the hoochies can be clearly seen by the fish.

(these are the original handpoured Juggies)

I like to use as big aJuggy head I can get away with for the application because I think the bigger the head and the less it has to drag behind it, the better the action will be......which is why I used the gumpuckies to fill up the space in the head and stop it flopping around too much loose and this way the action is transferred to the hoochy body more.......

Well that's my theory anyway.........:cool:

(On that second hoochy I cut and filed a plastic hoochy head to fit inside the needlfish to make the needlefish head look a bit bigger and yet still have a narrow body profile)

View attachment 8920

Hey feve.
I like the rig! :) You can't go wrong with the glow spatter back. I do agree with the larger head theory. I personally try to use a smaller head but I sometimes change up too. All depends how I fell I guess ...or what the fish are saying to me :cool:
The gum pucky in the head is cool too. Fills the head and lengthens your spatter back. Like it.
Good luck bud! If anyone will give Juggy a good rub, I know you will.

I'm glad to hear everyone is getting their Jugheads. Been marching them steady out the door. Figured sales would have slowed sooner but, apparently there's still tons of salmon to be caught. Chum hasn't even started yet I guess.
Been having "issues" with the machine. We have a love/hate relationship, lol. Rewrote all the codes, again. It appears to agree with me whole heartedly now.
Nano Juggies are looking gooood. Having much more success with them.
Going to try some black and red Nano's with leech patterns in the river. Hopefully get some vids.

Cannibal Chris, didn't send exactly what I wanted to but I sent you all the right stuff.

BlackVelvet, looking forward to your critique from south o' the border, you have a pile of Juggies to work with, lol.

Geno, I'm curious to hear how the chum react too. Try the small ones in the river...

So down here in Tacoma, I've run frozen and brined herring. Worked pretty well.

Finally had fresh herring...what I've been wanting to use with the jughead. I tried to run it using a bobber stop and putting the forward hook of a tandem hook set up through the underside of the fish entering at the anus (go ahead and have fun with that) and then letting the second hook trail. I also left a lot of slack so the line wouldn't inhibit the action. It works...but leaving the hooks free, as if using a typical plug, the action is much better.

Still didn't catch anything, but that's because the area is devoid of fish. At least no coho for now.

But dam that jughead makes that herring shake and shimmy nicely...I'd eat it!

So down here in Tacoma, I've run frozen and brined herring. Worked pretty well.

Finally had fresh herring...what I've been wanting to use with the jughead. I tried to run it using a bobber stop and putting the forward hook of a tandem hook set up through the underside of the fish entering at the anus (go ahead and have fun with that) and then letting the second hook trail. I also left a lot of slack so the line wouldn't inhibit the action. It works...but leaving the hooks free, as if using a typical plug, the action is much better.

Still didn't catch anything, but that's because the area is devoid of fish. At least no coho for now.

But dam that jughead makes that herring shake and shimmy nicely...I'd eat it!

Aahh finally got your Juggies hey Mike? Great!
Well I have to say you're crossing boundaries I didn't think Jughead would allow. The wire, tandem hook thing, running one of your hooks thru the bait... and, making it work. Very cool. Hope some fish show up for you bud, test your rigs.
As for the shake n' shimmy, ya it looks awesome. Same with a hootchie. Wow. I'll never drag a hootchie without Jughead now. The video says it all. Speaking of which, there are more videos from this summer coming too. Can't wait to see them.

Tried the juggies as I rigged them in the pic yesterday......

Ran into a complication right off the bat......I wanted them so the eyes could be clearly seen on the hoochy.

I put a gumpucky in the head and a couple of beads behind that.

The juggies merely rotated by themselves fast without imparting any action to the body.

Therefor it's back to the basement workshop.......:cool:

It seems for certain that the hoochy needs to be attached to the head so that the head has a counterbalance to stop it from rotating.

On the newer juggies one could use "stick on" eyes on the juggy itself....

But on these older ones I guess I'll have to paint them on or something.....

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.......

Tried the juggies as I rigged them in the pic yesterday......

Ran into a complication right off the bat......I wanted them so the eyes could be clearly seen on the hoochy.

I put a gumpucky in the head and a couple of beads behind that.

The juggies merely rotated by themselves fast without imparting any action to the body.

Therefor it's back to the basement workshop.......:cool:

It seems for certain that the hoochy needs to be attached to the head so that the head has a counterbalance to stop it from rotating.

On the newer juggies one could use "stick on" eyes on the juggy itself....

But on these older ones I guess I'll have to paint them on or something.....

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.......

Seafever,

You can't rig the Hoochie head too far away from the Head, and that Gum pucky needs to go, its helping to kill the action. Put one bead inside the head between the hoochie and head and the action will work as advertised. Don't worry about seeing the eyes, worry about the action. We did all sorts of rigging up in Rivers Inlet and found that the Hoochie needs to be inside the head and one bead works best.. FYI

Back