Boat Operating Lessons

Some most excellent helpful comments/observations/suggestions on here. To add a few more:
1/ Ensure all your mooring lines and bumpers are out and ready. USE YOUR LINES. They are your best friends. It is often much easier get a short spring line tied on the dock 1st and then kick it into gear on idle to keep it alongside until you finish tying-up.
2/ Know how your boat responds in high winds (that usually kick up late morning) - most sportie boats are heavy in the stern and light in the bow that makes the bow get pushed downwind when you slow up and try to dock head into the wind. Plan for this. You have a few options:
a) Dock stern 1st if you have that option (i.e. back upwind). This is the same technique you can use if you have currents from tide or river outflow.
b) Come in head 1st and use short bursts on your props to keep minimal headway w/o going backwards and having the wind push your bow downwind. As Rain City said - understand prop walk as most props are "right-handed" and you will notice a shortened turning radius turning right (starboard) A single right-handed fixed propeller will tend to push the stern of a vessel to starboard when going forward and to port when going in reverse. If you are lucky enuff to have twins - one can be in forward and 1 can be put in reverse to turn the boat.
c) maybe practice alongside an empty dock or a buoy for a bit maneuvering alongside until it gets to be a habit as to the most successful strategy.
d) Don't be afraid to back out away from any entanglements or bumping other boats and try again.

There's a few other threads on this forum that also have sage and experienced advice that you may wish to review:

Yes, reverse in! That was the only way I could get into this god forsaken spot. I would pull two or three boat lengths past the spot, stop the boat completely, take a breath. Then I would reverse straight back until the stern cleared the boat beside me. Hard to starboard and a couple light shots into reverse. The bow would now have the momentum to keep it's swing to port as I met the dock. If I didn't do that, the bow would get caught by wind or outgoing current. The boat would snug right up to the dock and a small **** straight ahead would stop it in it's tracks. It was the only repeatable method. Most boaters at the marina bow in and have a friend hanging over the rails risking life and lim. I always like to learn how to do it solo, people are unreliable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231203_092544_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231203_092544_Maps.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 54
Roger that, learn how to do it on your own - there will be plenty of times where you are all alone. Reversing in gives you lots more control that bow in. Great advice.

Hi Everybody
I was wondering if anybody know an company or individual that provides boat operating instruction.
My situation is I've been operating my own boat for about 10 years and in general I do OK and am fairly confident in open water. However, navigating in tight place around the dock and parking are still very stressful. All my boat operating knowledge has been self taught and by watch others from afar. I've learned to park and can do so with OK proficiency.
I've just bought a new boat that is significant larger. I would like learn the proper way to PROFICENTLY maneuver through the marina and slip. I think its time for me to learn the proper way and not just by trial and error. The last thing I want is to damage somebody else's boat!
Referral or ideas would be much appreciated.
I can’t think of too many options. The only one I know of is Cooper Boating. A yacht charter/rental company. Maybe others like them do, as well? I think you need to prove to them, you can safely operate and dock their vessels. Namely pulling out of, and docking in a slip. I’ve never taken these courses or can vouch for their effectiveness.

Thanks everybody for the advise and stories.
I don't feel like a complete idiot now... It is comforting to know some other people are or have been in the same shoes.

I'm located in Tahsis...
My new rig is attached below.

Attachments

• bb27333d-4a4d-413f-a013-911f090ff580.jpg
    bb27333d-4a4d-413f-a013-911f090ff580.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks everybody for the advise and stories.
I don't feel like a complete idiot now... It is comforting to know some other people are or have been in the same shoes.

I'm located in Tahsis...
My new rig is attached below.
Beauty of a boat. I wouldn’t want to rub that on the dock either .

Beautiful rig. Take your time, pull out of gear sooner then later. Neutral is your friend, see how the boat reacts and coast, putting in and out of gear. Twins are certainly easier to get in and out of a tight spot. Starboard forward, port in reverse turns to port, and vice versa.

Thank God I do have twins.
No bow thruster, but a joy stick. However I don't want reliant on it.

Thank God I do have twins.
No bow thruster, but a joy stick. However I don't want reliant on it.
I think you might find that boat easier to dock and maneuver than a smaller boat. Heavier boats don’t get kicked around in the wind as much. Twins from what I read are a different world when it comes to docking compared to a single screw. Congrats on the new boat. I’ve been looking for a couple of years for a similar size. That’s newer than my wife will allow me to buy. I’ve looked a a few BW’s and the finish is very good, in particular the interiors. Really hard finding the perfect boat. Look like you found yours.

I think you might find that boat easier to dock and maneuver than a smaller boat. Heavier boats don’t get kicked around in the wind as much. Twins from what I read are a different world when it comes to docking compared to a single screw. Congrats on the new boat. I’ve been looking for a couple of years for a similar size. That’s newer than my wife will allow me to buy. I’ve looked a a few BW’s and the finish is very good, in particular the interiors. Really hard finding the perfect boat. Look like you found yours.
Yes I think I have. I've only had one season with her, but so far, I really love her!

My advice after operating 30-ish vessels commercially would be to go out into open water away from traffic lanes and other boats, and learn how your boat moves. Start off in gear with both engines and just do hard turns, circles, etc. Then put one in neutral and the other in gear, learn how it effects the turning circle and speed, the one in reverse as well. Put it into reverse with the same methodology and see how the hull behaves, then increase throttle to learn how that changes things as well. Once you're confident you know how your boat moves and what you need to do to get it do what you want, any spot will be accessible.

In addition, when I'm operating out of a particular spot or area frequently I use reference points for where the boat needs to be, and completely ignore everything else. For example if I know after coming into a camp dock a few times that I need to have the forward cleat line up with one on the dock, I'll just focus on that point and 'feel' the boat the rest of the way.

Hope this helps!

Back