Gulf Islands 2013

I certainly would not let that discourage the good fishing available right now.
There's american hatchery fish up and down both sides of the island.
Nice catch boys, wish there was more of those chunky fish down south. :)

They are down south, maybe a little too far south. The San Juans are putting out lots of high teeners and no shortage of 8-12 pounders as well. Hopefully all the unclipped fish we have to release will come your way.

Good post. If dfo was worried about cowichan stocks in the strait they would change the regs.

A couple winters get caught down south must be getting under the skin of the north strait guys;)

I'll be sure to post the origin of my one fish when dfo gets back to me. 10 bucks says it's American.

Good post. If dfo was worried about cowichan stocks in the strait they would change the regs.

A couple winters get caught down south must be getting under the skin of the north strait guys;)

I'll be sure to post the origin of my one fish when dfo gets back to me. 10 bucks says it's American.

Im quite glad u guys are catching actually, no resentment here thats a beauty fish. I was just stating the facts that I thought were quite interesting from a Biologist. From all the Head returns last season he was saying there is estimated 600,000 clipped Cowichan fish which have remained in the Straights. So maybe possibly this might be one? Who knows could be a American fish also.

They are down south, maybe a little too far south. The San Juans are putting out lots of high teeners and no shortage of 8-12 pounders as well. Hopefully all the unclipped fish we have to release will come your way.

Don't worry, we will also be releasing them in about a month
(if they show up ;))

There's plenty of fish in da sea

Went out for a couple hours today w/ @FortyFour and got into the fish just before sunset. Brought home this 18 pounder! :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8428749266_ca1704448e_o.jpg
    8428749266_ca1704448e_o.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 290
Great fish!

grizzlygarbage.JPG

How long of a run are some of these areas from Brentwood or Sidney?

If you can hit it from cowichan you must be able to from Brentwood too.

Great fish!

grizzlygarbage.JPG

That a beauty cidney!!!

As usual crofton/cowichan is kicking south islands butt again happens same time each year these few months....Love it right now no need to drive down island...

High Five
Thanks Guys! gotta love this January weather thats been allowing us to get out there consitantly !

How long of a run are some of these areas from Brentwood or Sidney?

If you can hit it from cowichan you must be able to from Brentwood too.
The last time I fished the Sidney Channel it was a 40 min run back to Whaler Bay.

Yesterdays fish was 33"x20" was a longer torpedo shape and unclipped. We had 3 bites in 2hrs. One rod running the greensplatter needle fish hootchy and the other was a CJ Special 3" glow squid yellow back white belly 6 ft behind a chartruce double ice glow flasher. all three bites on the CJ Special. First fish a shaker second barely legal we released and the 18lber came last hr of daylight. Any photos of that lure in the fishes mouth Cidney???

Last edited by a moderator:
Whammmmy!

Charlie's CJ Special 3" Yellow Glow Squid... this lil guy skunked the green splatterback needlefish hoochy that had been working so well out there 3 fish to none. No wonder @FortyFour starts every other sentence with "Charlie says...."

attachment.php

Attachments

• fishermans-paradise-2.jpg
    fishermans-paradise-2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 251
Woah you just nicked him on the nose eh. Nice job playing him I know their mouths are tough but I would have probably ripped that hook right out.

Woah you just nicked him on the nose eh. Nice job playing him I know their mouths are tough but I would have probably ripped that hook right out.

Yeah exactly eh! was pretty impressed to see that once in the net! He took off on a second run of at least 100ft right beside the boat straight down to the bottom. We were floating in neutral and it was a definite tug o war with a lot of patience before she finally rolled over.

Fished this morning from 10-130pm...HIt 2 in five mintutes when we got there, one just under sized and the other around 13lbs....Nothing the rest of the time, not even a nibble...Great day on the water.

Back