Crossing the straight this week

ChrisK

We had our summer trip to the Gulf Islands planned for a departure from Vancouver tomorrow. Forecast is currently a gale warning through Friday and Windy and Predictwind are showing a potential crossing window Saturday with a 10-20 forecast for then. Anybody been out there that can give me some real-time crossing conditions? I live in Chilliwack so just wondering if it’s possibly better then forecasted. Our boat is a Cutwater 28 if that helps.

Which boat launch, and which gulf island? Any chance your schedule aligns with a ferry you can tuck behind?

Which boat launch, and which gulf island? Any chance your schedule aligns with a ferry you can tuck behind?
Coming from Reed Point, was originally planning for Gabriola passage but may head further south to put the waves behind me instead of on the beam. The Cutwater would have a hard time keeping up with a ferry, wide open is 20 knots

Are u trailering? If so, try Cresent beach. Tides look good in the afternoon for launching and weather window as well. Only about 16-18 nautical miles acroos to satura or active pass from the crescent beach pier.
Check live winds though to make sure the forecast is doing what it suppose to.

We had our summer trip to the Gulf Islands planned for a departure from Vancouver tomorrow. Forecast is currently a gale warning through Friday and Windy and Predictwind are showing a potential crossing window Saturday with a 10-20 forecast for then. Anybody been out there that can give me some real-time crossing conditions? I live in Chilliwack so just wondering if it’s possibly better then forecasted. Our boat is a Cutwater 28 if that helps.
Looks like it's supposed to lay down in the evening. Maybe just shoot for a late departure?

How much abuse are you and your crew willing to take? 10 kt is rough but OK, 20 will be well into the uncomfortable zone. We've crossed when it was blowing 20 NW as the forecast was calling for it to lay down and it was three hours from Vancouver Harbour to the Fingers off Nanaimo trying to keep things comfortable. My buddy who's operated more boats than anyone I've met had a 30' Cutwater for a couple years and he had many complimentary things to say about it, but the ride in chop wasn't one with the relatively flat bottom.

You are right about not being able to keep up with the ferry, they usually cross at 22 - 24 kt. Following them does help take the edge off, but still pretty bumpy. I took the boat across last September when it was blowing 15 - 20 and tucked in behind the ferry. It was rough enough that half way across the Straight the shackle holding the anchor straightened and the anchor started free falling (my fault for not putting the back-up safety harness on after the last use). The sound of the chain and rode coming out of the anchor locker was a shock to say the least. Pulling the anchor back in by hand in the middle of the straight, with the boat now drifting sideways to the waves, was NOT fun. Nor was the rest of the crossing without the ferry to follow. Pic of the boat following the ferry below.

With the weather this week (especially Thurs-Fri), it is going to take a while for the seas to lay down once the wind drops as there will be a lot of residual energy in the water. I'd wait at least 3 - 6 hours after the wind drops into your comfort window before going.

IMG_5804.jpeg

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I’m willing to take a bit of abuse but the rest of my crew not so much. And I want them to keep enjoying it. I’ll wait and see for now

We got caught out in 25knots last summer for four hours coming down the Sunshine Coast and it wasn’t a lot of fun. Trying to avoid a repeat

Any luck getting across?

Any luck getting across?
We ended up deciding to wait till next week, took the ferry across to spend a few nights at an Airbnb instead. Of course flat calm on the ferry ride over, didn’t really whip up till later last night. Should’ve just crossed earlier yesterday. Frustrating part is that Predictwind, Bigwavedave and environment Canada were all showing 15-20 knots of wind, but it was barely blowing 5. Next time I’ll just head out and turn around if it gets ugly

We ended up deciding to wait till next week, took the ferry across to spend a few nights at an Airbnb instead. Of course flat calm on the ferry ride over, didn’t really whip up till later last night. Should’ve just crossed earlier
Figures. Always works that way. Enjoy your trip.

I like to look at several weather prediction sites and calculate a blended average. I’ve heard people dis Windy. I’ve heard people dis Environment Canada... It appears that none of the sites consistently get it right. But some of them get trends right and trends are your friend when you’re vacillating in go...no go... mode.

I was trapped in Nanaimo for two days in July waiting to make my cross to Powell River. It was blowing a steady 20–25. I could see what was going down from my anchorage. No doubt it was sporty.

I relentlessly kept checking Windy (specifically for “gusts”) And Enviro Canada. When both of them mentioned a subsiding trend, even though I could still see the roiled water and even though it was late afternoon, I rolled the dice on the trend and pulled anchor and busted my move

When I got to the southern tip of Texada the Strait turned into a duck pond

I used that same strategy on my return.

Trend is your friend.

Last edited:
Back