Gulf Islands 2013

sorry should have said RCA, rockfish conservation area.

Ahh Gotcha, thanks. We'll probably just run some spoons and hootchies of bottom and troll south from porlier. Haven't fished that area much so any tips would be appreciated. We will be in a blue/white bayliner 192.

Cheers

One little 6lb hatch spring for us today. No other hits other than some bottom fish. Kept one greenling for fish n chips.

Nice day on the water.

I fished the same area yesterday aswell for about 3 hours...Hit 3 fish...One double header, lost one, the other was a scrapper but just under sized. Got one later around 130-145pm that was also a good scrap around 7 pounds, and delicious as we cooked him up last night.

We fished north Galliano from porlier pass down a few miles.

Winter Spring Salmon

Last week, near Galiano Island

attachment.php

Attachments

• galiano-fish.jpg
    galiano-fish.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 385
And then again a couple days later...

attachment.php

My buddy's boat ended up bringing home 5 fish in 5 days in the area...

Attachments

• 8400762522_73edf48c7f_b.jpg
    8400762522_73edf48c7f_b.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 359
Hello everyone. First time posting. Great threads! I'm loving the positive news about fishing in Crofton area. Lived here all my life but only got onto the water lots last summer and did excellent with Lingcod and got one 16# spring at Porlier. Want to get out for winters now. Any advice? My biggest question is how fast do you troll??

Thanks,

Vanislehunter

It really depends on tide and wind conditions. Usually 2-4 mph on the GPS. 2.75mph heading into the tail end of the tide works well for me. It also depends a lot on how deep you are fishing. with 100ft of cable out with 12lb lead your gonna want roughly a 45 degree angle. Also another factor is leader length and flasher drop back distance. That said it never hurts to play with your speed till something works. Often in a turn or right after speeding up or slowing down WHAMMY!

Cheers,

Nice clipped fish there cidney

x2 nice fish. Ours was clipped too. I'm thinking these are American hatch jobs. Mine even had a small roe sac but at only 6lbs I'm guessing it was 2010 brood year. I dropped the head in the recovery box so looking forward to seeing where these fish are coming from.

Thx guys! More fish photos forthcoming! :)

x2 nice fish. Ours was clipped too. I'm thinking these are American hatch jobs.

That was our guess too.

Mine even had a small roe sac but at only 6lbs I'm guessing it was 2010 brood year.

One of these two was a young female as well with a small roe sac.

I dropped the head in the recovery box so looking forward to seeing where these fish are coming from.

Wish we had one of those around here!

Back