Cope Nanoose 22’ Center console opinion

Clint r

Anyone with real world experience with this hull design? Looking for honest opinions and any pros vs cons or mods you would make.

A friend used that as a starting point and did a handful of modified versions for a charter/lease operation which he sold off in the last two years. I might be able to connect you two if you want his opinion.

My opinion is Center consoles are good for about 5 days a year when it isn’t too cold, too hot or too wet.

If you are going to go to the expense of getting a boat this size built, ($100 to $150k) go with something that has a cabin to keep you and your guests warm, dry and shaded.
Not speaking for the OP, but maybe he meant that particular centre console design versus others?

No real world experience. I like the deck layout, but IMO there are probably better hull designs for open water. My two main gripes are probably the 15 degree deadrise, and the lack of reverse chines. For example, the Cope 22ft6in model sports an 18 deg deadrise and moderate reverse chines.

I would look strongly at Conrad yachts 22’ cc plan.
I did the 20 and love mine, has handled everything I’ve put it through no issues. Did well in a toilet bowl of 2m swell and wind chop last weekend.

center consoles generally suck for comfort. Just a 15kt wind can make things very uncomfortable. If it's raining or blaring sun, it sucks.

You'll rarely be fishing from the bow, so really it's ends up being wasted space. You could have a cabin, with stove, heater and bed - which you will use a lot.

YouTube has lots of video of his boat in action, use Qualicum Rivers Resort as the search words, look for Angler West productions.

15 degree dead rise and no reverse chines is going to be a wet ride, which wouldn't be a big deal if you had a cabin, but is bad news on a centre console. If you're married to the centre console layout, I would look at a small walk around cabin instead of the open console, much more useful for our conditions here in BC.

15 degree dead rise and no reverse chines is going to be a wet ride, which wouldn't be a big deal if you had a cabin, but is bad news on a centre console. If you're married to the centre console layout, I would look at a small walk around cabin instead of the open console, much more useful for our conditions here in BC.
Thanks. It does. What size motor are you running? And how’s it ride with the heavier top? And did you have it built or buy it already done?
Until you have been in one , throw the specs out the window , im running a 2019 115 Mer Seapro , Smartcraft Controls ,38 mph top speed , .8 mph slowest , super cheap on fuel , troll mode feature so awesome , theres a few on here that have fished with me all over Barkley , hard top no affect on the performance , super wide boat , 1/4 inch hull , heavier , very stable with 2-3 guys on one side , barely budges Wet ride ?? absolutely not , i thought maybe it would be when i first bought it , driest 19 ive ever been in , Qualicum had lots of these in there fleet for a reason , Winter Harbor WCVI , it's the "Cope " design that makes these boats desirable , the specs are deceiving, best purchase ive made in my boating days for under $30 k ... everyone loves fishin in this boat..... it is my secondary winter boat , prefer the bigger glass in the summer for sure...m2b good luck 22 would be an awesome boat im sure , 21 Northwest CC , or Lifetimer CC also all fantastic Smooth dry riding boats... you get what you pay for !!

Last edited:
Was just out in a brand new 20 ft Cope design center console. There where 5 guys when we took it for a sea trial. It has a 150 yam and it got up on plane like nothing with power to spare. The ride was unreal and boat didn't slap or sound tinny like some aluminum boats. Like any boat there are pro's and con's and it seems most guys talk about the weather or how you are out in the elements. If i had the cash thats the way i would be going for sure. Just my 2 cents..

I tried to buy one of those Qualicum River Cope centre consoles a couple of times but they weren’t ready to sell them at that point. I ended up getting a Bridgeview 18 CC. It is exactly the style of boat that I wanted from years of experience. Everyone has their own flavour.

20220615_074703.jpg20220615_074813.jpg20220615_074744.jpg
I have this one. Very stable platform imo. Just put her back in the water today after putting the 115's on , replacing a single 150. Cc's only for me, fish year round , dressed appropriately. You don't catch fish sitting in a cabin... lol.

Attachments

• 20220615_074744.jpg
    20220615_074744.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 118
View attachment 81100View attachment 81107View attachment 81108
I have this one. Very stable platform imo. Just put her back in the water today after putting the 115's on , replacing a single 150. Cc's only for me, fish year round , dressed appropriately. You don't catch fish sitting in a cabin... lol.
Awesome. Anything needed to be done to the transom to switch to twins from a single? I’m with you on the fishing in the elements. Dress for it and you’ll be fine. Part of the experience if you ask me.

Awesome. Anything needed to be done to the transom to switch to twins from a single? I’m with you on the fishing in the elements. Dress for it and you’ll be fine. Part of the experience if you ask me.
That is one of the boats my friend had built that I connected you with. It started as a Cope Nanoose 22 and had some owner spec modifications. Perfect example.

View attachment 81100View attachment 81107View attachment 81108
I've never seen it so clean! Looks well suited to those smaller twins, what a great idea to do the conversion. Congrats, that is a beauty. I thought you were going to troll with one of the mains?

Back