Recomendations for custom aluminum boat welder?

nateamall

Hi there. New to this forum, long time boater.

Looking at getting a customized "landing craft" styled hull (minus the drop front) 32 ft, with bench seats for 12 pax in the front. Simple console/half cabin at the back. Set up for twin outboards

Love the look of the eaglecraft 32ft one. Anyone have experience w eaglecraft welding? What do you guys think I would expect to pay for something like that. 160k? 200k? No engine, just boxes for seat (I'll do upholstery).

Any other recommendations for aluminum welders? And before anyone says it, no I don't want a RHIB. So Titan is out.

I don't know the exact cost of a hull from eaglecraft but I can say with confidence you are way off. Double your figures and you might enter the playground.

Avoid the shop by pnt that builds docks and boats. I'm not talking about walker down the road a few blocks (they are great hulls).

I'd start by contacting eaglecraft for pricing and see if a hull only is even an option.

Gl on your search.

eaglecraft is awesome. they will make you pay for their awesomeness though. they are the opposite of cheap.
try riptide - http://riptidemarine.ca/boats/
they do bare hulls but might be too busy to take it on. you will have to call them. they also have a landing craft style boat you can customize. http://riptidemarine.ca/boat1/
i bought a vehicle from them and still go back for more welding stuff. great shop.
This is where I bought the aluminum for my hardtop. Cheapest place in BC. I was there 4 months ago and he was building a 32’ landing craft. He said was right around $65k unrigged.

eaglecraft is awesome. they will make you pay for their awesomeness though. they are the opposite of cheap.

This is where I bought the aluminum for my hardtop. Cheapest place in BC. I was there 4 months ago and he was building a 32’ landing craft. He said was right around $65k unrigged.
did he mean just the aluminum lol? Off the top of my head just the aluminum is going to be 40+ depending on the cab, another 10k for cnc cutting

did he mean just the aluminum lol? Off the top of my head just the aluminum is going to be 40+ depending on the cab, another 10k for cnc cutting
No. He was talking the whole thing. I know his aluminum is way way cheaper than anywhere else in BC as my company buys from him direct. He also said prices will be coming down soon. That also was 4 months ago so maybe even cheaper?Under $800 for all the material for a complete hardtop vs over $1200 locally. Check it out if you need materials, seriously. Cheapest place you’ll find. If you do, ask him about a 18’ aluminum boat called a Sarita. $12.500 unrigged. Nice little boat and again probably the cheapest aluminum boat in the province. Here’s a link to his boats page. I was looking at buying one when I stumbled on the one I have now. Only thing was he doesn’t build singles that size, he waits until there’s 3 or more looking to buy.

One last thing, he’s loaded and owns about 3/4 of downtown Coombs so can come across as a little arrogant.

Last edited:
No. He was talking the whole thing. I know his aluminum is way way cheaper than anywhere else in BC as my company buys from him direct. He also said prices will be coming down soon. That also was 4 months ago so maybe even cheaper?Under $800 for all the material for a complete hardtop vs over $1200 locally. Check it out if you need materials, seriously. Cheapest place you’ll find. If you do, ask him about a 18’ aluminum boat called a Sarita. $12.500 unrigged. Nice little boat and again probably the cheapest aluminum boat in the province. Here’s a link to his boats page. I was looking at buying one when I stumbled on the one I have now. Only thing was he doesn’t build singles that size, he waits until there’s 3 or more looking to buy.

One last thing, he’s loaded and owns about 3/4 of downtown Coombs so can come across as a little arrogant.

how much per pound?

how much per pound?
I’m not sure? I think $3.25 was mentioned when we first started communicating with him. And that’s when he said the price would come down according to “futures” he was looking at. I was buying sheet and two 1/8” pieces @ 4x8’and one at 6’x12’ cost me $780. In ktown was quoted closer to $1250. But I had to pick up from either location. My company buys channel for gangways and aluminum decking from him so different product than what I purchased. Guys name is Tony if you wanted to call.

Last edited:
I’m not sure? I think $3.25 was mentioned when we first started communicating with him. And that’s when he said the price would come down according to “futures” he was looking at. I was buying sheet and two 1/8” pieces @ 4x8’and one at 6’x12’ cost me $780. In ktown was quoted closer to $1250. But I had to pick up from either location. My company buys channel for gangways and aluminum decking from him so different product than what I purchased. Guys name is Tony if you wanted to call.
thats not cheap, thats actually kind of expensive. The other place is a total rip off
I stand by what I said that the material alone is probably close to 40k unless hes building out of tin foil, but I think you probably just mis understood on the price

thats not cheap, thats actually kind of expensive. The other place is a total rip off
I stand by what I said that the material alone is probably close to 40k unless hes building out of tin foil, but I think you probably just mis understood on the price
Lol. Touch a nerve or something? I may have but I doubt it. Like I said, not sure what price per lb is but I know what I was quoted, I know what I paid, and I know what he told me when we were checking out his boats so…..????? Go ahead, instead of asking me, call them. They’ll tell you the same thing I just did. And yes, anything in Ktown is a rip off.

Last edited:
Lol. Touch a nerve or something? I may have but I doubt it. Like I said, not sure what price per lb is but I know what I was quoted, I know what I paid, and I know what he told me when we were checking out his boats so…..????? Go ahead, instead of asking me, call them. They’ll tell you the same thing I just did. And yes, anything in Ktown is a rip off.
well I'm just saying I don't think that's really possible, but maybe maybe thats the "starting" price without a cab or anything, just the absolute bare shell of the hull. Like lets say maybe the material is 30k (likely no cab, seat boxes anything), theres also a ton of welding on a 32' landing craft, so that alone is probably another 2 - 3k in welding consumables. so basically at $100 / hr (which is a tad low) they can build one in like 300 hours? Seems hard to believe considering a 23' boat is in that neighborhood.

BTW I just went off my last invoice and for those 3 sheets I would have paid $675. (before tax), so not sure if your price was before or after tax. Thats from a local supplier and AJ forsyth who regularly delivers to the island might have been a bit cheaper

Well there you go then. I guess I should’ve called you lol. All I know is what he told me and what he showed me.
But while were talking, what’s your out the door price for an 18’er with an offshore bracket? Unrigged.

Thought this would be the right place to ask that question :)

Thanks so much for all the input so far. So far I've had a very wide range of quotes. As I receive them, I'll try to come back on here and post them. Bad River in Ontario quoted 140k. Eaglecraft quoted 400k. Going to have a chat with Riptide today. I really like the look of their Islander boats....and apparently they've already built one similar to what I'm looking for! (Skookum, formerly owned by Ocean Outfitters, now owned by Tofino Resort and Marina).

Back