Bamfield Halibut Derby - May Long Weekend

What a great time, Met alot of great new people, hung out with old friends, harassed women, drank more then i should have last night but not nearly as much as others. Springs were stellar for us, hali's not so much, however there were quite a few at the dock. Can't wait to go back!

Thank you very much to jeff and the mills crew for hosting. Sheldon do you have boobs? great food sir!

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't swing this one...I'm sure I missed a good'r...spent the weekend in Nanaimo on the boat with the wife, 2 year old and 7 month old...OMG whose ***'n idea was that?!!!?
Lets see those pictures!

whew,, home safe, good weekend for sure, thanks to hosts and prize donations,, my head still hearts, wuzz chumming this morning and hadnt even left the dock. good to meet more friendly locals and the parker crew. mmm halibut two nights in a row, good cook out sheldon!!

Good times. Nice harvest weekend. Good to meet a few guys and put faces to names.

My best kodak moment (no camera unfortunately) was watching Felix laid out on the grass in recovery mode. 30 minutes later, he was up and at em like the energizer bunny. Got to love the "party til ya drop, get up and party some more" attitude. We couldn't hope to keep up.

Great harvest. Lots of prawns in the end...needed to make lots of sets. Commercial guys knocked em back big time. We were averaging only 25 - 30 per trap each set. Wasted a lot of time pulling traps and not fishing prime times. Got some nice crabs too. They really like the prawn heads - out fished salmon 2:1.

Here's my luck...always late for the prom. We got this nice one today (day after the derby). 35 pounds, on needle fish hoochie.

Attachments

• P1011648.jpg
    P1011648.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 133
Oh my.

That was something allright. I don't think I'll have another event like that while the wife is away or I may not survive!!

First off thanks to the sponsors who donated prizes.

Active Tackle
West Side General Store
Rocky Point
Zurtro Lures

Everyone at the weigh in got something.

Thanks to Mills and Imperial Eagle for hosting!! Extra special thanks to Sheldon for all the work he did that I was supposed to do.

We had 22 people registered in the derby and about 14 fish weighed in. Most people went into salmon fishing mode because they had come into the sound so thick. Either way, every one fishing caught something!!

51 pounder caught by Don at Imperial Eagle took the cash.

Great party on Sunday night, told you guys there were chicks in Bam...

Photos... Oh oh. Stay tuned. I didn't have a camera, but there were a couple rolling at different times...

Gonna ramp this derby up for next season with the focus on fundraising. Was nice to enjoy a little informal first one though.

Osama Bin Recovering

K , bit of a write up , these guys deserve it , worked there a$$e$ off to make this happen..

Fishing ,

Honestly , Jeff's da man , if you ever are lucky enough to get out for a sea scrape with this guy " Get out there "
he is da best , we caught species ive never even seen before , what a blast
Once the hook was in place ,Sheldon had the rest down to a science from there ,Tequila on the boat ....ughhh ,, ur a f'n lunatic Shelly : )
pretty good with the knife too bro...

I was clinging to first place with a 47lber that Jeff chummed up for me , but , only to be beat out by my mate Don on Sunday mornin ,
with a 51lb i believe , which he graciously split the purse with team Hopper, lol , thx for that...

we only fished for springs for 2 hours on saturday ,
7 fish in short order , cookie cutters from 14 - 16lbs , most boats in touch with us did well , nice clean fish , get out there...
, my new buds Gerry , special thanks to you sir...

some nice additions and upgrades to mills Landing , as promised , looking great..
give them a call, highly recommend them..
http://www.millslanding.com/pages/contact.php

Also like to thank the sponsors mentioned by Jeff for there time and Gifts , everyone pretty much walked away with sumthing i believe ,
Business Times zutro spoons look great , heard one of the members sleighed on the Rosco spoon fished well at Cree Saturday morning
http://www.zurtrolures.ca/

Got to also go on a tour over at Imperial Lodge , this place is freshly renovated , absolutely gorgeous ,
by far , the nicest accommodation iv'e seen in Bamfield , check them out , also HIGHLY recommended ,
Give Don a call
http://www.imperialeaglelodge.com/

Last , nice meeting sum more of you forum boys , Lorne , ya make a killer salami my friend , dalish ,
hope ya enjoyed the wcvi , pretty cool eh !!

Deryk from Active tackle , thx for ur generosity
http://www.activetackle.com/Home/tabid/400/Default.aspx

this guy also knows a thing or 2 about filling the Tub , give him a shout
thx for the lift n pop Ken
http://rockypointcharters.ca/

sorry bout the $hitty pics , spilled tequila on my blackberry i think ( apparently not covered under warranty , wtf ?? hehe , i sux )

enjoy

FD

IMG00171-20110522-1422.jpg

IMG00170-20110522-1300.jpg

IMG00167-20110522-1239.jpg

IMG00159-20110521-1219.jpg

Back