2013 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 day trip got cut short. Long beach was slower than expected south bank was place to be with good action during the bite with fish from 12-28#'s. Halis were slow long beach, sw corner, turtlehead etc guides were getting their fish we spent some time on anchor, drift, troll but only hooked a few in 3 days. Day 4 resulted in a 8lb 6oz healthy baby boy so it was a good trip all around. 4"blue chrome spoons and bloodnbones hoochie were hot lures.

Fished out of Ukee Sun, June 16 to Fri, June 21. Wind made it pretty tough for my crew and I in my small 17ft Harbercraft. Made the mistake of trusting a good long range forecast and spending our first fishing day, Sunday, which was beautiful, inside to "shake down" the boat and crew and try to find some bait and fish inside. Buddy and his crew did great out at the Adipose that day. My boat found nothing at Chrow and food Islets but did find a big school of coho off Alley Rock but no chinook and not great bait in the Great Bear to Alley area. South Easterlies blew for the next two days. Battled out to South Bank anyway and way, way too sloppy for my newbie crew and small boat so ran back inside. Coho had mostly moved on, got one, then no salmon that day and the next. Found nothing but undersize ling at three of my go to spots but did get some nice rockfish and larger greenling.

Finally Wed the winds were nice and out to South Bank. Frustratingly slow for us for first two hours while fish being hit all around us. Finally we got into it good and our quality seemed to be better than most. Springs from 18-28lbs that day and one nice hali. Thursday wind shifted to NW and howled so we took the day off and did the tourist thing at the beaches, trails and coffee shops. Took the boys down to the WildSide Grill for their lingcod and chips - made believers of them that they had the world's best fish and chips, bar none!! Friday was another beauty day and quick, easy limits on smaller springs 8-12lbs, no hali for us.

Hali in general seemed a lot scarcer on South Bank and very small on average. Most of the "bait" balls marked seemed to be krill as the majority of salmon caught - coho and chinook, were chocker block full of krill. The chinook that did have baitfish in them had 4-6" herring. We didn't clean a single fish caught inside or offshore that had any needlefish in them at all, first time for that! Also, whales were everywhere, especially inside - both greys and humpbacks. We saw close to a dozen different whales one day inside. Due to the prevalence of krill I tried small pink plankton hootchie a few times and only managed a single hit - a small coho. Coho on the inside came on small coyote and kingfisher spoons, 3.5", in kitchen sink and green/glow. Ran them 5-6 ft behind 8" flashers. Offshore tried various flasher/hootchie combos and the reliable double glow green splatterback in needlefish and traditional octopus seemed to work best, though it was such easy fishing I'm sure it was more a case of time and place. For us, balls in the mud worked best. Often got hits after doing a drop to the mud to make sure the balls were down where they should be.

Tougher trip than we expected with the South Easterlies but, as always, great town and great to be on the water out there!!

Ukee

Ucluelet fishing report:

We are getting ready to close out a stellar month of fishing as June winds down. It has been some of the best fishing in some time as the Big Bear crew saw full limits of salmon and halibut on almost all of our trips. Big smiles and very happy guests enjoyed great weather and awesome fishing.

Big Bear is proud to announce that our newest addition to the fleet has arrived and is fishing hard. Our 30 ft. custom Weldcraft is online and ready to offer an incredible experience while enjoying the comfort and amenities that this beauty has to offer. We are offering this extreme fishing machine to groups of 4-6 people, making it great for corporate groups or larger families.
Inshore:
Barkley Sound has been very good, all of the usual hot spots are producing fish in the 10-25 lb range. Swale Rk, Harbour Entrance and Effingham have been hot on the tides. White hootchy and glo green flasher from hot spot have been the go to. Anchovy as well in the purple haze, glo green and clear teasers behind the purple onion and red glo hot spots is producing some quality fish.
Offshore:
Big Bank has been on fire!! The weekend saw calm waters and piles of Chinook and coho being taken. Throw a limit of halibut into the mix and you have happy anglers all around. The Rats Nose up to the whale tale seemed to be the place to be. Fishing from 100 to 150 ft. with hootchy’s and 4” coyotes behind the flasher worked well. The coho are in and there seems to be healthy populations of both hatchery and wild fish. Do take care in releasing unmarked fish as to ensure their survival.
Halibut fishing has been very tidal as we experience large swings with the big moon. The Brown turd fished right off bottom while trolling has been taking fish in the 15-30 lb range. Basically find 180-220 ft of water and you should have no problems finding the fish.

We still have availability in July & August so give us a call to book a trip of a lifetime.

Tight lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear
047 (300x225).jpgIMGP6204 (300x200).jpg

Fished out of Ukee last Sunday and Monday - conditions were lousy with big winds, heavy seas huge tides and lots of rain. We got so bored with the pounding that we decided to just go sight seeing in the broken group - then headed over to Poetts Nook for fuel (what a beautiful place!), and then ran back to Ukee.

2 springs, a coho, and a couple of bottom fish was all we managed to reel in.

Will be back in Ukee on Saturday and staying for 10 days. Forecast looks much improved. Can't wait!

Fished out of Ukee last Sunday and Monday - conditions were lousy with big winds, heavy seas huge tides and lots of rain. We got so bored with the pounding that we decided to just go sight seeing in the broken group - then headed over to Poetts Nook for fuel (what a beautiful place!), and then ran back to Ukee.

2 springs, a coho, and a couple of bottom fish was all we managed to reel in.

Will be back in Ukee on Saturday and staying for 10 days. Forecast looks much improved. Can't wait!

Hello Enniberg
We were in the Pursuit moored in front of you on Saturday. We fished South Bank for a very short time Sunday am. there seemed to be somewhat of a bite on early (7ish) that we trolled through with only 1 hit that didn't stick and 1 fish around 20 pounds lost at the net. Left to pull the boat out at 9 as I had to catch a ferry to Van. We had done well on Friday and Saturday with smaller fish (10-15 pounders) all caught on spoons in the 130 to 155 depth. I will be back on Fri. for 4 days. Can't wait.
h.e.h.

Hello Enniberg
We were in the Pursuit moored in front of you on Saturday. We fished South Bank for a very short time Sunday am. there seemed to be somewhat of a bite on early (7ish) that we trolled through with only 1 hit that didn't stick and 1 fish around 20 pounds lost at the net. Left to pull the boat out at 9 as I had to catch a ferry to Van. We had done well on Friday and Saturday with smaller fish (10-15 pounders) all caught on spoons in the 130 to 155 depth. I will be back on Fri. for 4 days. Can't wait.
h.e.h.

Cool! When we spoke I had no idea you were h.e.h. on here!
We will most likely roll in late Friday night - boat is at the dock, ready to go.
Hopefully we get a chance to compare notes again.

HookNSlice: We are at the government dock - Small Craft Harbour. Gets busy at times, but it is a great place to moor your boat.

burnsy22: I am still running the same Arima - almost sold it, but thankfully through the intervention of a few people who possess a lot more sanity than I do, I ended up keeping it for another season :D

We will be out in full force on Sunday. Hoping to put some bottom fish in the cooler. We will be looking out for you guy's. Going to hit inside and outside big time!!!!

Happy fishing this long weekend everyone :).

Good fishing today covered quite a bit of water and filled up on salmon and hali. Big Bank was on today I didn't bother running all the way out and produced well.

Great day on the water with friends. Fished the lighthouse bank and managed our limit of coho. Lost some nice springs due to operator errors (I was driving so it wasn't me lol). Went in shore and hammered 3 lings. It was a nice first summer trip for sure. Heading back out in the morning.

Cheers,
John

Out on the Big Bank Saturday and Sunday. Limited out on Chinook, 5 Halibut and a couple of Coho. Lots of Coho there but all we could get that were marked were the two. Got tired of reeling them in yesterday so we packed it in about 2:30 just as it started to blow. Home in Nanaimo by 7.
Dave

It was a little windy today so we didn't bother going out on the banks. Tried but turned around and fished in shore. Mostly jigging this morning. Picked up 3 more lings (using a pipe jig and squid) and a nice big vermillion rock fish. Trolled in towards Salmon Beach and picked up a coho. Talked to a fellow that was hammering the coho earlier in the morning and he said he was using red hooks. I guess there eating krill right now?

Great weekend. Awesome weather. Whales everywhere!. Had one fully breach between us and another boat that was jigging the same spot:eek:. Pretty wild.

Hopefully next weekend isn't too windy and we can get out on those banks that I love so much:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back