2013 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fishinforever,

Here are a couple of shots of the hali's over at the Aquarium. We are happy to report that they are doing very well. Everytime the girls start feeding the other species, the hali's get really active.

DSCN0042.jpgDSCN0045.jpg

Cheers,

The Crew @ Big Bear

Ucluelet Fishing Report:

Hola from Ukee!! This week’s weather is a little more like the usual here in Ucluelet with day time temps back to their seasonal norm and lots of rain. It has not put a damper on the crew @ Big Bear as we have consistently been catching Chinook in the 12-18 lb. range. Our guests are enjoying great action both on and off shore. With the long weekend and a great forecast ahead it’s looking like there are going to be nothing but silver smiles on every ones faces.

The majority of the fish we are getting have been right in the mud when fishing on the banks. There has not been much of a change in their feeding habits as they still hone in on the abundant Krill that is blanketing the offshore. Light house bank, Long Beach and Inside south have all been producing nice springs. Coyotes in the Blue/Chrome(cloudy days) and Green/Chrome(sunny days) are doing the trick behind the Purple Onion and the Red Glow flasher. If you are not seeing action try to shorten up the lead between your clip and the flasher. This holds true, especially if you are fishing the coated glow cannon balls that PNT in Coombs are producing. It does work!!
With the weather being a bit of yo-yo the crew have been plying the sound as well with the last couple of days producing fish all along the north side of Imperial Eagle. Colours seem to change up a bit with the “Nasty Boy” in the 4 inch being the goto. Medium Anchovy have also been taking Chinook in the UV clear teaser head. Green/Glow flasher with a 6 foot lead at depths of 75-125 ft.

Things are filling quickly for the season so don’t hesitate to give us a call and book a trip of a lifetime!!
$997.00 1-4 people inclusive if booked before June 1st
2-Day Special May 22 & 23 or May 29 & 30 $1507.00
Tight Lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear

008 (480x640).jpg

Ucluelet fishing Report:

The May Long weekend is almost a wrap and the Crew @ Big Bear lit things up this weekend. Our relief guide Chris Scales posted a pair of beauties weighing in at 27.8 & 27.7 lbs to take first and second on the Ucluelet Ladder Derby Board. Congratulations to Colin Shore and Brad Sarauer for a job well done on landing these quality early season Chinook. Darren Dickenson and Robert Higgins took a 24.10 and a 23.10 to hold 3rd and 4th place respectively. There were a lot of fish weighed in making this May one to remember.

Fishing was solid on both the inshore areas as well as offshore. Sail Rk, Austin Island and Cree were all holding quality Chinook. Needle fish hootchies in the splatterback, glow green, and green oil slick all produced quality springs. Depths ranged from 60 ft to 130 ft. We found that the fish were liking a bit of a slower troll. Tide change during the am produced the most action.
Offshore fishing remains excellent with Long Beach being the best for consistent fishing. Trolling right along the bottom with the white Turd was taking both Chinook to 20 lbs and Halibut to 40 lbs. The Blue/Chrome coyote was also doing its job fished with a blue chrome hotspot flasher. Halibut were hitting the octopus on the 16 oz jig head when the drift was favorable.
Our new ride is in full fabrication and will be online and ready to go for the 3rd week of June. Look to book a trip of up to 6 people on our new 30 ft 300 cuddy king Weldcraft. This will truly be the way “To Go” when fishing in comfortability.
Our early season special of $997.00 will expire at the end of May so take advantage of these great savings and book your trip of a life time.
Cheers,
The Crew @ Big Bear
015 (375x500) (225x300).jpg

Ucluelet Fishing Report:

It was another awesome weekend of weather and fishing here in Ucluelet. The offshore was like a mirror and the bite was on all weekend. Saturday saw all of our boats bring limits of halibut and Chinook back to the dock for our guests. Long Beach was the spot with non-stop action from start to finish. Double headers of prime feeding Chinook in the 10-20 lb range and halibut to 50 lbs gave our guests the thrill West Coast Style!!
These fish were not being picky for the most part but the hot combo was the chartreusse glow hotspot and the white glow Turd. Needlefish patterns in the Army truck and Green glow were also consistantly hitting springs. We are starting to see larger herring in the bellies of these fish so get those Tomic spoons shined up and ready for some larger fish as we climb into June.
Halibut were being taken both by trolling and sitting on the pick. Whole herring in the uv clear teaser head with the gold betsy trolled down to 1.8-2.0 mph seemed to be the ticket. On the pick the 16 oz jig and 8” Berkley Power Grub tipped with a piece of belly took a few of the larger fish. Set your bait gear up and jig a Norweigan Jig on a 3rd rod. It definitely gets the fish to move more aggressively for both.

We have May 31st-June 2 still available. Discounted for these 3 days only $757.00 inclusive 1-4 people!!
Give us a call to book your trip of a lifetime!!!

Tight lines,

The Crew @ Big Bear
DSCN0280 (300x225).jpg028 (300x225).jpg

Fishing sure has been fantastic this year with the average size being in the mid teens the last few trips we have limited out by 9:30 am on Chinook and then spent some time fishing halibut on spreader bars then hit the kelp beds on the way in for a couple cod.

photo (38).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ucluelet Fishing Report:

We are now into early June and the fishing is awesome. Our guide Darren Dickenson took top spot on the Ladder derby this weekend with Sheila Archer of Victoria landing a 28.4 lb Chinook on Saturday. Way to go Sheila!! The crew have been bagging full limits of Chinook and halibut on both the offshore and inshore this week.
Inshore:
The whole north side of Imperial Eagle channel has been producing fish in the 12 to 20lb range all week. There is an abundance of small herring in the sound, this is allowing these fish to fatten up before they continue south on their migration. Depths have ranged from 70 ft to fishing right in the mud. Small spoons and hootchies have been the gear of choice. I heard of a 32 pound fish coming on an anchovy on Monday. Definitely some quality around!!

Offshore:
Long beach has slowed over the last week, mainly with shifting weather patterns. South Bank on both the inside and outside have been producing fish from 10-28 lbs. These fish are feeding on needle fish and squid so the both patterns in the hootchie have been productive. We have been fishing right on the bottom for these Chinook and getting lucky with the halibut hitting the same gear. Look for the other areas such as the SW Corner, The Wreck, and Big Bank to start heating up as word has it there is a large push of fish heading our way. Be mindful of the weather as it is still early in the season and things can change without much notice. Have all of your electronics inspected and in good working order as we start to see the first of the Fog.

Tight Lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear
015 (300x225).jpg

Good fishing just west of Portland Pt

Anchovies and grn/chr coyote spoons near the bottom have been the best. Fair # of fish in the 20's

Attachments

• Lukes.jpg
    Lukes.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 775
Was out of Ucluelet 8-6-13 couldn't buy a hali but the four of us on the boat limited out before noon,springs 18- 22.

Ucluelet fishing report:

The Westerly wins!! Our weekend saw moderate to gail westerly’s blow for much of the last four days. In spite of rough conditions fishing remains strong here in Ucluelet. With the winds came the coho. Good numbers of 4-8 lb marked and unmarked fish were caught at Long Beach and South Bank. Mix this with Chinook to 20 lbs and you have a recipe for a full tub. Halibut fishing remains strong with 15-40 pound fish being taken while both trolling and jigging.
The inshore fishery has been to say the least “ON FIRE”. Howard, Swale, Harbour Entrance and Effingham saw great action all weekend. There is more herring than we have seen in sometime in Barkley Sound right now. We all know that with the bait come’s the Springs. Fish to 24 pounds were hitting right through the tides. The uv white turd and the uv white hootchy were doing the trick for us all behind green glow and blue glow flashers. Depths ranged from 80 feet down to 130 feet. Fishing the flasher fairly close to the cannon ball and slowing down to 1.8 to 2.4 mph was magic.
We still have some prime dates available but things are filling up quickly. Give us a call to book a trip of a lifetime.

Tight Lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear
DSCN0109 (300x225).jpg

Hi Nighthawk,

When were you off long beach I haven't been out for almost a week heard things have cooled off but when the bits on it 's on! I have been targeting the broken group and been doing well. Any truth to that spotty fishing offshore or was it pretty steady I don't mind running all over but if I can save the gas I would rather. Fathers day trip tomorrow.

Yes it has slowed down at Long Beach

Fish have moved out a bit.......probably South Bank for you guys would be good

Saw Princess boats at Portland Pt today

I heard the same thing apparently inside south was hot early today then went flat. Probably go into Barkley Sound as there still is lots of feed. There seems to be lots of 12 to mid teen fish but I was hoping to get him hooked into some high teen mid twenties or bigger. Early in the week and last week there was some really nice size fish off long beach but seem to moved on.

Hi Nighthawk,

When were you off long beach I haven't been out for almost a week heard things have cooled off but when the bits on it 's on! I have been targeting the broken group and been doing well. Any truth to that spotty fishing offshore or was it pretty steady I don't mind running all over but if I can save the gas I would rather. Fathers day trip tomorrow.

We were out early June 8th hit 3 and a couple of shakers right off then it slowed for a couple of hrs then the bite was back on and we landed 5 more with a couple lost in between.

Yesterday was our Fathers Day fish we landed 6 springs/kings, 4 Coho, 2 Halibut, 1 Ling, and kept a decent size rock cod as it was doing the fan when we pulled it up. Fished the edge of south bank trolled to inside south then trolled along the wall to the south west corner. Weather wise it was great and Dad's stocked up for a while. Springs averaged 14lbs and the largest 16/17lbs there was a ton of feed bubbling out there. The boats out there reminded me of a herring ball everyone was trying to get to the center of something we stayed away and worked the edges. At the cleaning station we were definitely the high lining boat by far, when talking at the station some were at South Bank as well probably in the pile of boats and the others spent time at Swale then came outside later in the day. There were whales sea otters and porpoises that came close at different times throughout the day. All in all between the fishing, marine wildlife, weather conditions and hanging out on the water with family made for the perfect day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at this site for quite sometime and never posted anything so here it goes. Left Port Alberni at 5:30 Saturday morning to head down the canal. Few boats fishing sockeye. But decided to head out. Stopped first around pill point area, I think first. Caught 1 spring right away and nothing for the next hour. Decided to pull gear and head to Effingham and fished for couple hours with no hits in two boats. As the conditions out there were unbelievably we decided to head to south bank. A very good choice. My boat landed another 9 springs, all in the 15 to 20 lbs and a coho. The other boat one halibut and only 1 spring. We were fishing at 80 feet with a 5.0 coyote spoon greenish silver with a fish graphic on it. My buddy was using 6.0 spoon but in blue. Cooled off again and started for the long trip back. Stopped in a few spots to jig for ling, ended up with one keeper. By that time we were fished out, had to much sun and it was time for some beer and headed back to Port alberni. In all it was a great day out there. Heading back out to Ucluelet Tuesday night with younger brother and hopefully find some Halibut this time. Fishing wednesday and thursday. Camping some where in ukee. Good luck everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back