2013 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey Big Bear Salmon Charters-- there are lots of us out here who sincerely appreciate the Big Bear reports. They're detailed, informative, and well written.

Please keep them coming!!!! And BTW, thanks for helping sponsor this site--- you guys are a Class Act

Big Bear is pretty much the only outfit that provides reports from the Ucluelet area this time of year and they deserve a big Thank You for that!

Please don't get discouraged by the negative voices, there are many of us who greatly appreciate and look forward to your reports.

hey Big Bear Salmon Charters-- there are lots of us out here who sincerely appreciate the Big Bear reports. They're detailed, informative, and well written.

Please keep them coming!!!! And BTW, thanks for helping sponsor this site--- you guys are a Class Act

X2 - helpful, informative and much appreciated!

Ukee

Thanks Tofino, looking forward to the pics.
h.e.h.

Here you go.......

Around here early in the season you need to hit the weather windows

Attachments

• 602025_650073935008543_109214359_n.jpg
    602025_650073935008543_109214359_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 676
  • 6578_240773566066377_2050772424_n.jpg
    6578_240773566066377_2050772424_n.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 666
  • 482006_10152750735030005_1258187998_n.jpg
    482006_10152750735030005_1258187998_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 661
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys. We enjoy letting everyone know how the fishing is and will continue to do so well into the future.

Tight lines,

The crew @ Big Bear:cool:

Nice pics Shawn!! Lance's looks like a real nice one in that shot.......mind you the fact he is a wee little fella may also add a few pounds on that fish! Hahaha :p

I can also attest to the good fishing, I hit last Sunday 'window', trailered my boat from Pt Alberni (by myself) and was back to Port by noon with my springs and a few jogged cod to boot. Wife asked 'are you happy now'. :)
Back at it this weekend, will provide an update.

I'm sure those nice clipped fish should be in your area soon , Craven

Made it out this weekend but it was damn windy (Saturday morning was brutal). Manage to get a few each day (to 15lbs) but more on the Bamfield side (see Bamfield report for more details). I did try Sail Rock on Sunday morning for a couple of hours, nothing, abit surprising since this spot is normally a consistent producer. I could see quite a few boats (~6-7?) fishing the Great Bear Rock area but didn't go the extra distance. Question for those that fish the Great Bear area, noticed that's its fairly flat bottom around there, are most just dragging the bottom column?

Personally, way too risky to drag bottom in the Sound like you would out on the banks offshore. Having said that, I usually have one line deep near the bottom (and watch the sounder and your trolling pattern relative to the plotter like a hawk!) and the other somewhere in the column from 40-100+. Depending on where you are in relation to the rocks/reef/kelp, too close to the bottom inside usually yields lots of rockfish and ling. Below 60-80ft, your just feeding the eagles with the rockies so I try to avoid that if I get into them. The areas on the south side of Great Bear and Alley can be very good, well worth checking out.

Ukee

Personally, way too risky to drag bottom in the Sound like you would out on the banks offshore. Having said that, I usually have one line deep near the bottom (and watch the sounder and your trolling pattern relative to the plotter like a hawk!) and the other somewhere in the column from 40-100+. Depending on where you are in relation to the rocks/reef/kelp, too close to the bottom inside usually yields lots of rockfish and ling. Below 60-80ft, your just feeding the eagles with the rockies so I try to avoid that if I get into them. The areas on the south side of Great Bear and Alley can be very good, well worth checking out.

Ukee[/QUOTE

thanks for the reply]

Ucluelet Fishing Report:

Well we are another week closer to the kick-off to the season and the crew @ Big Bear have been lighting it up with early season Chinook and lots of halis. Our Guide Brett Thomas has been putting huge smiles on all of our guest’s faces with limits of both. While shooting a segment on Halibut this week the boy’s managed a total of 15 hook-ups on these bottom dwellers. Amazing!!!

Big Bear Salmon Charters teamed up with the Ucluelet Aquarium to catch and transport two live hali’s for their display tank. We were able to obtain two beautiful specimens without any real stress and they now call the Aquarium home. These fish will be released back into the wild once the season is over.

Report:

Barkley Sound has been excellent for Chinook to 20lbs. Meares Bluff to Cree Island has been the go to place on the top half of the flood. These fish are full of needle fish so the 4 “ coyotes are killing it. Wonder Bread, Cop Car, Blue/Chrome and the “GP” are all fishing well on 5-6 ft. leaders. Flasher’s of choice have been Chartreusse/Glo, Red/glo and the chrome blue all in the Hot Spot series.

Long Beach to Florencia have been the best bets for halibut to 45lbs. Depths of 160 to 220 are producing multiple hook-up days. Once again the 16 oz. jig with the Berkley Power grub and a small portion of octopus to give it that extra little boost is the ticket. As well, the Norweigan Jig in the 20 oz has been hitting fish. Try dropping the NJ after you have missed a bite on the bait. Halibut tend to shy away from bait if they feel resistance from the angler. That does not mean they are gone, usually they will hover and this jig is enough to entice a strike out of aggression.

We are beginning a series of how to videos to that will show all of our different techniques for fishing both salmon and halibut as well as other bottom species. These will be showcased on our web-site and updated weekly with the latest tackle and tips.

DSCN0345.jpgDSCN0333.jpgUntil next time, Tight lines!!

The Crew @ Big Bear

Thanks for the report and pics. Interesting to hear about the live transfer, any chance you have pics of them in the aquarium?

Any updates Nog? Anyone? Heading up Friday
For the weekend. Will be staying a a float
Cabin in Julia passage. Appreciate the help.

SWC

Ucluelet Fishing Report:

Summer is here, in a big way!!! Warm temperatures and flat calm seas blessed us all weekend here in Ucluelet. Not to mention the fishing is pretty good right now. As expected the Columbia return is living up to its reputation with quality fish being taken at a number of the inshore and offshore spots.

The Red Can, Great Bear and Effingham all produced fish. These fish are ranging from 10-31 ½ lbs. One of the local guides landed a beautiful Tyee on Saturday while fishing a local sports celebrity. Portland Point, Long Beach and South Bank were also producing quality fish as well as some decent Halibut on the troll.

These fish are still feeding on krill for the most part as they make the move in closer to the beach so look for them to hone in on the abundant needlefish as they arrive. Coyotes and needlefish hootchies fished deep. The Nasty Boy, Green/silver, Green/Chrome and the old faithful Blue/Chrome are all producing equally. The Splatterback in the dark green was the goto hootchy for us all weekend. Look for 90-150 feet of water and fish as close to the bottom as possible. The anchovy has been a bit of a hit or miss depending on location. Friday morning saw an 18 and a 20 lb spring at Effingham. Fishing the same gear farther out of the sound proved frustrating so back to the spoons and hootchies and bang there they were.

The Ucluelet Ladder Derby is in full swing. Big Bear is sitting in a close third with second place at the time of writing. The Derby is being held on the Labour Day Weekend this year. This will allow families to take part in the fish off if they qualify and enjoy all of the festivities that follow the “Fish Off” before the kids are back to school. There is also an automatic entry into the “Fish Off” if you weigh in a Tyee at any point during the season.

DSCN0029.jpg

Take advantage of this incredible start to the season by taking advantage of our early season pricing.
$997.00 8 hrs. 1-4 people inclusive( regularly priced at $1297.00)
Give us a call to book your trip of a lifetime!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back