Which gear for fishing winter Spring's at Sidney Channel? (taking my 2 and 4 year old out tomorrow)

smokedvw

Hi,

So we finally got the downriggers on the boat last weekend and I took the 2 little guys out. We went during a bad tide transition and were only running one downrigger since it was my first time using a downrigger by myself. We were out for around 4-5 hours, 3 hours fishing and the other crabbing and putting around. Of course all of us would like to catch a salmon so I figured I would come here for a little advice.

Tomorrow looks better and we hope to head out around 10ish and fish until 1-2. We are leaving from Sidney so it should be a quick trip.
1674364758445.png

My main question comes to the flasher, spoon or bait and downrigger setup.

Last week I chose a 10lb weight and we were around 150' down in 120-130 ft of water. I know people have said to make sure you bump bottom but I am wondering what does that really represent, will I see the downrigger pull or bounce when we actually hit bottom? Will I snag in that channel between James Island following the powder wharf to Sidney spit?

We ran this stretch back and forth a few times.

1674364162224.png

Next question is around flasher and spoon or bait setup. I only have 1 glow in the dark flasher and spoon so I plan tomorrow to buy another 2 sets for our trip. I was using a green and white spoon and green flasher and silver and green glow.
1674364540954.png1674364556283.png1674364568432.png

I'm curious which other set of spoon/flasher I should buy. I will be getting them from home hardware in Sidney which as a OK selection (not as good as trotac obviously) but would like to setup both downriggers tomorrow to have fun with the boys.

I had a friend recommending that they always used anchovies and wondering if that is a good option for the second line.

Another question can I setup a 10lb and 5lb ball on the same downrigger line or is that not a good idea? I had heard a lot of people are using 12 or 15lb balls for winter springs.

Any suggestions would be great and thanks for the tips in advance :)

That gear is exactly what you want any variation on it will work as well - think Chartreuse.

And FWIW if I had two little kids in the boat and downrigging was new to me I'd never bounce bottom-things can go south in a real hurry.

See you out there tomorrow! I’m running an ap sandlance and chartreuse flasher. Lots of
Glo this time of year. Hopefully they are around! Yes if you hit bottom you’ll see the rod acting weird. I just drop until I feel the bottom and then come up 10. Just watch for changes in the depth and adjust as necessary. Tight lines!

That gear is exactly what you want any variation on it will work as well - think Chartreuse.

And FWIW if I had two little kids in the boat and downrigging was new to me I'd never bounce bottom-things can go south in a real hurry.
That's my concern, honestly. I got the wire snips close but do I really need to get that low to catch them or can I be 10ft off the bottom.

I'm reality we are out there for fun first, salmon second ;)

Also, if you have the 1100 series of Scotty downrigger, do not exceed 15 pound cannonballs. They’re not really designed for it. You can go 18s or even 20s if you have the 2100 series though.

Don't buy from a local retailer. You can get them privately for 30 or 35$. Retailer is way more. Pm me if you want a number for a guy that uses only good lead, no filler or crap in it.
What's the number for the guy by panorama Recreation center? I used to buy from him but lost his phone number.

Watch for crab traps in the channel! Haven’t fished it for a while but they used to be a huge problem.

Watch for crab traps in the channel! Haven’t fished it for a while but they used to be a huge problem.
its ridiculous amount traps and I feel like most are just abandoned at this point? Needs to be some better laws on crab traps in channels and entrances to marinas

its ridiculous amount traps and I feel like most are just abandoned at this point? Needs to be some better laws on crab traps in channels and entrances to marinas

There were a bunch out there the other day when we were trolling. 100% they are abandoned. I find there are lots of traps outside Van Isle breakdwater and then a bunch floating off Sidney spit and then a bunch floating off James Island that are for sure left behind. Just go look at the lines and the bottom of the floats to see them full of crap from sitting there for months.

"I think the new regs re:standard size for floats will help that-no more bleach bottles." Most of the ones I see floating are red/white foam or people using boat fenders. I saw 2 that were almost underwater you could just see the tips but they were black.

If the traps are not identified with a name and phone number they are illegal from what I know.
if you find ball markers with this info and think they are abandon, phone the owner.

Back