WTB $300 000 Boat for $100 000. Serious offers only please.

I hope they dont use the trim ram off a dps Volvo drive. I replace one each year due to volvos ****** seals. You just have to be diligent in cleaning the stainless shaft off or it damages then fragile seal the leaks. Mine is out of the water 9 months a year too.

With how the trim ram would be oriented I bet it would drain off better than on an out drive. Just a bit of polish with fine steel wool cleans up any growth that can damage the seals. There's a way to reseal but it's a bit of a pita.

I honesty don't think the swim grid sits that high off the water. The bayliner sits really high but with my evinrude 9.9 xl shaft it stays wet just fine. Maybe not in 4' chop but still. Kind of makes the rolling have a soundtrack.

You just want to make sure your prop is cranking as low as possible in the water to move that floating condo through those crazy tides we see in these waters. Nice and efficient unlike my previous configuration since I rushed into it. Run the boat and keep an eye on water levels first then you will find the best solution for your boat.

Last edited:
RC. I was thinking the swim grid is too low. You can't get the leg out of the water when trimmed up. I think the setup on the 30 you are buying the prop is in the water when docked and would drag when idling on mains.
A hydraulic lift would get it up and out. More boat dollars though.

RC. I was thinking the swim grid is too low. You can't get the leg out of the water when trimmed up. I think the setup on the 30 you are buying the prop is in the water when docked and would drag when idling on mains.
A hydraulic lift would get it up and out. More boat dollars though.
I did notice the waterline on the kicker you're right. Maybe I could find that happy medium and build up the current bracket. Spend the money on more HP instead. :)

My swim grid is even lower in the water than yours due to my heavier motors and hydraulic SeaWise davit. So if I do put a kicker on I pretty much need a hydraulic bracket. I think I might need to put a bit of a pod for floatation too. All gets a bit too expensive!
I was moored beside your new boat to be this summer and took a picture of the kicker as I was thinking about putting one on mine. You can see how low in the water it is although if you remove dinghy will come up some. But put 3 guys back there and it goes down again

IMG_8125.jpg

My swim grid is even lower in the water than yours due to my heavier motors and hydraulic SeaWise davit. So if I do put a kicker on I pretty much need a hydraulic bracket. I think I might need to put a bit of a pod for floatation too. All gets a bit too expensive!
I was moored beside your new boat to be this summer and took a picture of the kicker as I was thinking about putting one on mine. You can see how low in the water it is although if you remove dinghy will come up some. But put 3 guys back there and it goes down again

View attachment 41930
Is that a scupper under the water?

Yes it’s under water. The Commanders have a box inside the engine where all the drains go to and then one exit thru the hull each side. Kind of a neat idea rather than having all sorts of hoses thru the hull.
I think part of the scupper issue is these boats were first built with twin gas and then twin Volvo 41 series and then twin Volvo D4’s. Each one heavier. Plus add about 400 pounds dinghy and motor and then a 100 pound kicker.

This thread has gone too quiet.

Is everyone eating chicken somewhere and I missed the memo?
No chicken yet! As soon as I get the spot at Burrard and once I take possession (assuming all goes well in the next few days) then I'll do something down there and have an open house.

No chicken yet! As soon as I get the spot at Burrard and once I take possession (assuming all goes well in the next few days) then I'll do something down there and have an open house.
I need to google the float plane schedule from Nanaimo :rolleyes:

Arrived on the Big Island last night for 3 weeks, do you guys mind waiting til we are back? I feel personally invested in this multi page, crowd sourced Commander 30 and have a deep supply of gummies to make that chicken really pop.

I know where your old sled is but the old merc is tired and in need of replacement. It was a fun little boat. Sorry for the hijack.

I had that motor was rebuilt just before i sold it to him, which was quite a while ago so i'm not surprised it's tired.

That little boat was a warrior that saw a few fish come to it's gunnels....loved it!

Back