Winter spring fishing on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

I have never fished sooke in the winter, although i'm
thinking about making the effort.
do you find a tide change more productive or does it matter ?

It has a very minor impact, but for the most part, once you are on 'em you are on 'em. The biggest thing to remember is that you will go through lots of fish untill you hit big ones. Barbless hooks, and carefull handling of fish are a must here. Once you hit the winter springs, they generally cover a large area. You will burn up bait quickley, this season, whenever I can get out, green stuff has been on for me. When the fishing is really on, ditch the flasher. Since it is not unusall to have 10-20 fish to the boat in a good session off of Sooke, you would do better to tie a heavy leader so you can just lift the little buggers to the boat and flip 'em off while waiting for the bigger ones.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Originally posted by r.s craven

I have never fished sooke in the winter, although i'm
thinking about making the effort.
do you find a tide change more productive or does it matter ?

It has a very minor impact, but for the most part, once you are on 'em you are on 'em. The biggest thing to remember is that you will go through lots of fish untill you hit big ones. Barbless hooks, and carefull handling of fish are a must here. Once you hit the winter springs, they generally cover a large area. You will burn up bait quickley, this season, whenever I can get out, green stuff has been on for me. When the fishing is really on, ditch the flasher. Since it is not unusall to have 10-20 fish to the boat in a good session off of Sooke, you would do better to tie a heavy leader so you can just lift the little buggers to the boat and flip 'em off while waiting for the bigger ones. I imagine this would help the mortality rate by not knocking off all the scales in a net.

Angler-kurt ya got zapped[xx(]:D... do the math... on an earlier topic. You No Get[V]

Hey Craven
Spend the extra time come out to Sooke Launch at Jocks Dock because the tides are fine for that now and fish the bluffs and or Secretary it's been great!! You won't be disappointed.
Cheers Codfish
Ps if you're out on Saturday call me on 72. (Nicefish)

I agree ,launch at Jock's(right beside old Sooke hrbr Marina)and fish here out front at Bluffs on the 20-30 fathom edge up to the Kemp Lake trailer park. I'll be out too on sat, god and mother nature willing:D We had nice one 15ish on betsy gold w/anch and 6' glow green head at 125ft wire.We tried spoons,hootchies but only had smaller fish
on them.Good Luck. I'm always monitoring chnl 16 ,you never know when your needed to help[8D]Just call.

Codfish,
Wetbeaver and myself will be out on saturday (first time in sooke)
Couple questions:
Cant find what street jocks dock is on ?
and secretary is to the left when leaving the inlet so is the sooke bluffs to the left too?
Thanks
Chris

quote:Tom Davis, Gary West and Ken Jones had a great day on Saturday hooking and playing 38 -40 springs off the Bedford Islands.

Suprised nobody posted this yet?(It's off the island outfitters report) - although the biggest was only 9lbs so thats a lot of small fish and I can imagine more then a few of those released won't make it to the river.

quote:Tom Davis, Gary West and Ken Jones had a great day on Saturday hooking and playing 38 -40 springs off the Bedford Islands.

Suprised nobody posted this yet?(It's off the island outfitters report) - although the biggest was only 9lbs so thats a lot of small fish and I can imagine more then a few of those released won't make it to the river.

Jock's Dock is on WestCoast rd. Keep going straight thru all 3 stop lights.Watch for signs on your left after goin down a long hill and can see the spit over the water....[8D] Secretary isl. to the port and the Bluff's to starboard,once clearing the spit....watch for other boats and go check them out,areas and depth,[^] etc.

Jock's Dock is on WestCoast rd. Keep going straight thru all 3 stop lights.Watch for signs on your left after goin down a long hill and can see the spit over the water....[8D] Secretary isl. to the port and the Bluff's to starboard,once clearing the spit....watch for other boats and go check them out,areas and depth,[^] etc.

quote:Originally posted by saltybeaver

Codfish,
Couple questions:
and secretary is to the left when leaving the inlet so is the sooke bluffs to the left too?
Thanks
Chris
Me and Yak (codfish) should be out Saturday morning fishing the area. I'll try and make a post Friday night when we're launching and where we're going in case u guys want to follow

Jason

quote:Originally posted by saltybeaver

Codfish,
Couple questions:
Thanks
Chris
Me and Yak (codfish) should be out Saturday morning fishing the area. I'll try and make a post Friday night when we're launching and where we're going in case u guys want to follow

Jason

You guys are killing me, I'm 2 weeks away from finishing the new house and then im going to Fish and prawn my butt off! And maybe even do a charter or two.

Start at the flagpole just off the marina at around 120 feet and your safe to bounce bottom all the way to Wolf Island. It gets pretty rocky past that as you head towards aldridge Pt unless you go real deep. It is starting to get pretty crowded in the bay[xx(] and makes tacking around commercial crab traps difficult. Pedder Bay is a good spot as well, It's less crowded, if its to windy to fish whirl or the Bluffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back