Winter Reports Sooke and Victoria 2008/2009

quote:

Yep, that's my clip...
did you hit any fish ?

Didn't have much time to fish. Had some maintenance to take care of on the boat -- found a water leak dripping into the head (thankfully) from a poor seal around the horn. Also installed a new GPS module. Got out to do about 90 minutes of fishing and spent about 45 of them untangling the mess from my riggers and kicker. No hits for me unfortunately.

Your clip turned inside out -- the plastic release was on the outside so it looks like the ball likely got stuck on something and pulled itself off the clip. One of the guys traps was all torn so probably got dragged a couple of times along the bottom.

Lots of boats off the waterfront Sunday, but like us many were skunked, or if lucky maybe one or two fish from guys we talked to at the Fleming ramp.

Fished saturday out on clover, no fish, nothing on the sounder, cut the downrigger line on the prop. Wind pushed the bow too quickly. Boat is now tucked away for the next couple months. How effective are the extendable boom downriggers at pushing the gear away from the motors, or should i just go heavier? maybe Santa will bring me one this year..

CD

Long arm rigger's are a big help...
also, go to 12 lb balls and if they have a S.S. fin give it
a slight bend so they track apart from each other.

went out saturday around noonish... it was pretty choppy for the 14 footer though.

fortunately we did manage one 6-7 pounder on our last pass. fought a lot harder than last week's bigger fish (another hatchery though).

Was out Becher Bay this morning, landed one about 10 pounds, and lost one bigger broke the leader! Green and White hootchie.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Long arm rigger's are a big help...
also, go to 12 lb balls and if they have a S.S. fin give it
a slight bend so they track apart from each other.

Exactly what I was going to say, that bend works great for stacking lines. And if you find your lines keep getting tangled...you probably put the bend the wrong way or the balls on the wrong sides...been there, done that, in the 5 am grogginess before the caffeine kicks in. [:eek:)]

Heard a couple of good reports from Sooke in last couple of days, 10-12 pounders out front of the Harbour.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

15 pounds, ive only been getting 8-10's how deep and where, cuz i have been trolling 130-140' and nothing big, other then today, i got a 12

-Steve

In 'Fisherman-speak'... a 12 is easily a 15!

Good on ya!

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

15 pounds, ive only been getting 8-10's how deep and where, cuz i have been trolling 130-140' and nothing big, other then today, i got a 12

-Steve

He's talking about cannonball's Steve ...;)

Are you still fishing the waterfront LC?...
And juandesooka..roughly where in front iof sooke did you here these tall tales[8D]

Going out sunday weather permitting

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

In 'Fisherman-speak'... a 12 is easily a 15!

Good on ya!

Yeah, that was a 15 pound cannonball I was referring too. I'll run a 10 or a 12 on my center downrigger, but otherwise, I just run 15's all the time. Some would say it's harder on the downriggers, but I've never had a major electrical downrigger failure with good wire and good connectors. I'm talking 8 guage wire for downrigger power.

Wolf's little tidbit about Sampo swivels and stainless snaprings has reduced my random stainless line breakage to practically zero, and that's the same line for the bulk of the season.

Besides, when it comes to over-estimating fish, a 12 is usually a 20 this time of year :D

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Poe

Are you still fishing the waterfront LC?...
And juandesooka..roughly where in front iof sooke did you here these tall tales[8D]

Going out sunday weather permitting

Looks like I may have a trip Saturday, I'll be out in the afternoon if I can talk these guys into it. The "Big Flush" ebb we are going to have would make Conny difficult, but probably time to try the head, pretty easy to fish there any tide.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Hey Last Chance,

Sooke is on fire this morning,It was hot. Lots of action 10 pounders galore purple haze purple haze was the ticket hootchies and squirts 130 -150 feet.

Cheers Codfish

dy

quote:Originally posted by codfish

Hey Last Chance,

Sooke is on fire this morning,It was hot. Lots of action 10 pounders galore purple haze purple haze was the ticket hootchies and squirts 130 -150 feet.

Cheers Codfish

dy

Thanks for that. Just hope that their buddies off the waterfront want to co-operate.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Hey guy's , read the Outlook for 2009 , Very interesting , I see the Winter Feeder Fishery is doing well on South Island ( Island Oufitters Reports ) . Most reports indicate , " Hatchery Fish " mostly being caught , Creel Survey also indicated " Very Good Numbers over the weekend " Does any one know what Hatchery (s) these fish came from ?? Cheers FD ( sorry off topic a bit !! ) ;)

IMG_1356-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Hey guy's , read the Outlook for 2009 , Very interesting , I see the Winter Feeder Fishery is doing well on South Island ( Island Oufitters Reports ) . Most reports indicate , " Hatchery Fish " mostly being caught , Creel Survey also indicated " Very Good Numbers over the weekend " Does any one know what Hatchery (s) these fish came from ?? Cheers FD ( sorry off topic a bit !! ) ;)

According to Chris from the local SFAB, they are Puget Sound Hatchery fish. 7 out of 10 are hatchery.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Ok Ok, so i am young and not so wise about the cannon balls idea! But i was wondering "What is a winter spring" ? Where do they come from adn where are they going? This has confused me for 2 years now, and i belive somone on here should be able to provide some sort of answer!!!

-Steve

Back