Winter Fishing Help

Mausermike14

Hi everyone, hope your having a great year so far! I'm pretty new to winter fishing and was hoping to get a little guidance. I primarily fish may to September around the pedder bay area and do pretty decent. I'm just starting to get into the winter fish and have heard a few buddy's tell me that when you fish for winter springs you always fish the bottom. Is that true?Is that for all areas? I usually fish 50-90 ft on the downrigger during my normal fishing months. Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Yes fish deep just off bottom, some guys drag balls in sand which help attract winter springs and keeps PNT busy restocking 18 lb weights if you don't do it right. Also use “Glow” flashers/spoons/hoochies as it is very dark down there.
I always hit the glow with a black light to enhance the effect. Scent doesn’t hurt and travel fast and far, find some bait and you’ll soon see bigger marks. Good luck.

You'll also have better luck using needlefish/sandlance style spoons (coho killers, skinny gs, AP tackleworks) and squirts. Matches the bait available down in the depths.
I've had my best luck just circling the big buoy in pedder, dragging the bottom.

I like to fish glow plugs in the winter, because the water is so clear the fish can see it from a far ways away. And since there's not many salmon around, I can cover a lot of ground trolling fast with a plug. I fish the bottom as others have mentioned.

Just pick a glow white plug, find some flat bottom 100-200' deep, get going quick, bounce the bottom a few time to be sure you're on it cause your angle will be far out, and cruise along 3-4 mph while doing lots of s-type curves to add further interest to the gear.

Whirl bay fishes good for winters

Like everyone has said fish the balls in the sand 100-225 ‘ is the depths I will work. Squirts and needle fish are good go to lures but I love to work a larger herring sized spoon or plug looking for bigger fish.

You never know too sometimes there is the odd big fish cruising up higher too so keep a eye on the sounder

Back