Where to go?

Finally

Hey guys, great forum you have here. Thought it was about time I made an account. Look forward to contributing to the forum.

I have a 17' malibu tyee (same hull design as the double eagle) with a 115hp, kicker, downriggers, GPS/chartplotter/depth sounder, and radio. I am trying to plan a fishing trip for sometime during the month of July. We would like to fish for salmon and bottomfish. Any suggestions? I have mostly fished around Vancouver, Sooke, and the alberni inlet. We were thinking about trying the North Island area (winter harbour, port hardy) and would love to get some input as I know the conditions up there can get pretty hairy. Would we be wasting our time with a boat our size? Obviously safety is a concern. Look forward to seeing what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The westerly kicks up around 10 am, then dies off around 5pm in Nootka Sound. But lots of places to hide from the wind.

Welcome Finally. Use the search function for all kinds of info. My boat is small and I've fished Nootka and the Telegraph Cove/ Malcolm Island areas several times. Look for posts by Sitkaspruce and Wolf for info on the latter.

I think you'd be fine out of Telegraph/Alder Bay (latter is closer to the majority of fishing grounds). Just have to cross Johnstone Strait, just keep an eye out for weather in it and should be fine

I might be biased, but I'd vote for Nootka/Esperanza. It's west coast, and lots of water to explore.

17' Double Eagle or Malibu boats work great here. Yes, you do have to watch weather when going offshore, but that applies to all sport boats. As long as your boat performs well in a following sea, you should be good offshore. I've been out there in boats from 16' "River Jet Boats" to 26' Cruisers. When the wind kicks up to the point where it is no longer fun, just head back in. Be confident with your boat, but not careless, and don't overload it, you will be fine.

When the wind does kick up on the outside, there are lots of sheltered areas to fish on the inside.

Thanks a lot for your input guys! The Nootka area seems perfect. Now its time to do some more research on the area. Any recomendations for places to stay that are close to the fishing grounds? Critter Cove looks like a good spot.

Critter is nice, other options include moutcha bay, cougar creek campground and tuta marina/campground. tuta is very rustic...

Check us out !!!!! I will share all the info you need and you can even follow any of our 10 guide boats out... We love BYOB'S and want you to have a big smile catching fish !!!! We are the closest lodge to the open ocean and prime fishing grounds .... Plus a special SFBC discount is available email or pm me for more details.....

Cheers ME

ps Some other great options suggested to !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been to Nootka, Port Hardy and Bamfield with the same boat. No issues at all! Watch the weather and go with a buddy boat when going offshore. I have been through some rough weather with my Malibu and it has handled it very well for the size of boat. I wouldn't go too far offshore though since it is only 17'.

The suggestions mentioned by other members would all be great places to fish. You might want to get a on board guide to help you with some of the local hot spots.

Back