maximum size/weight outboard for 1992 Campion Explorer 17ft C/C

Fishingmachine

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and would appreciate your input. A year ago I bought a 1992 Campion Explorer c/c 17ft up in Armstrong and brought it down to Nanaimo. It has a 1992 Evinrude V90 but the motor is having issues. I have the option to buy a very good condition (from AB) used 2015 Evinrude Etec 115hp motor.

The weight after some research of the V90 appear to be around 301lb, and what I could find re the 2015 's weight appear to be around 390lb.
I would appreciate if someone could tell me whether first of all the power rating would be too high for this boat and also if the weight on the transom would be too high for this centre console.

I do have a 2006 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke kicker also on the back.

Cheers Jacques

i had that exact boat ( loved it btw ) and it had a 2003 yamaha 90 hp four stroke and it was stern heavy especially with a 8hp kicker and battery at the stern. that to me probably exceeds max ho rating. but etecs ( 2stroke) are typicallly lighter than the equivalent 4 stroke power

How does that boat differ from a Campion 542? The 542 represents 5.42 meters, 17.7 feet. I have a 1998 model and I have a 115 HP 4 stroke which is quite fine on my boat. Anything bigger for this hull would be too much.

How does that boat differ from a Campion 542? The 542 represents 5.42 meters, 17.7 feet. I have a 1998 model and I have a 115 HP 4 stroke which is quite fine on my boat. Anything bigger for this hull would be too much.
These were called the 492. Basically a 16’ centre console. Lots around, most like them but move up in size at some point. Both sizes (492 & 542) should be centerline length, not overall.

I have the newer version. (2020) I have a 90HP Yamaha and 6hp Yamaha kicker on it. Functions perfect. Doesn't seem that heavy in the rear.

It's a great boat for the inside and great for my type of fishing. (jigging)

I had a 492 for years and it came with a 50 Yamaha on it. Was under powered but awesome to fish out of. I cruised at 25 mph with 2 people in it.

If I had it still I would put a 60 Yamaha on it. No kicker. Plenty of power. I have the same engine on my 16.5’ Harbourcraft and I cruise at 30 easily with it. Very fuel efficient for fishing.

With the low stern transom I did have a wave come into the stern once in a bad following sea and that’s why I prefer less weight in the stern and a lighter motor.

IMG_9759.jpeg

I have the newer version. (2020) I have a 90HP Yamaha and 6hp Yamaha kicker on it. Functions perfect. Doesn't seem that heavy in the rear.
It's a great boat for the inside and great for my type of fishing. (jigging)
now that i mainly jig i wish i had it back…

The boat will do 36-37mph with 3 people and gear so you might not need the 90hp. I'd be interested to see what it would do with the 70HP Yamaha on it since you would save 100lbs on the rear of the boat. Might be perfect given I usually cruise at only 3800Rpm and 21-23mph with the current setup.

Different boat but i got a arse heavy water logged 16' older DE with a 75hp four stroke yamaha 17p at just over 5000 rpm getting just over 32mph with rigger's 15lbers on and battery and 6 gallons at the back ..... think they weigh in at 340lb no kicker not needed until it is ....lol

Thanks so much for eveyones input. I have only had the boat in the water twice at Horne lake ( testing the repair attempts to the V90)

Aquaholic, thanks for correcting me. The length is the 1992 Campion 16.2 ft c/c. The dry hull weight apparently 1040lb

Riverboy, yes the Yamaha 90hp I found out is 365lb so 60lb heavier than the old V90 I have ( which already appear slightly stern heavy with the 90 lb Johnson kicker.

Redfisher, that's exactly what I have been thinking of since I received you guys's input. The Yamaha 70hp weights in at 252lb, i will check in on the 60hp likely close to that. I see the 2023 model Campion actually is shown on their site with a 70hp with max hp rating being 90hp

I found a 2010 model 60hp in Alberta ( where I reside now) which I think I will try get .
I think for my fishing here on the inside along mid island will be perfect.

Thanks so much for eveyones input. I have only had the boat in the water twice at Horne lake ( testing the repair attempts to the V90)

Aquaholic, thanks for correcting me. The length is the 1992 Campion 16.2 ft c/c. The dry hull weight apparently 1040lb

Riverboy, yes the Yamaha 90hp I found out is 365lb so 60lb heavier than the old V90 I have ( which already appear slightly stern heavy with the 90 lb Johnson kicker.

Redfisher, that's exactly what I have been thinking of since I received you guys's input. The Yamaha 70hp weights in at 252lb, i will check in on the 60hp likely close to that. I see the 2023 model Campion actually is shown on their site with a 70hp with max hp rating being 90hp

I found a 2010 model 60hp in Alberta ( where I reside now) which I think I will try get .
it’s literally one of the perfect inside boats. i e also hAd it 16 miles offshore at Nootka, but that’s where i was really concerned about the stern weight. some of those 2m following seas coming home inshore with a boat full of lings was concerning to say the least

You can also fine tune the performance of the boat by changing pitch on your propellor. I used to change my prop to a higher pitched one if I was fishing with more weight in the boat and wanted to improve my hole shot.

I run a 4blade stainless 15 pitch on mine. Rpm in the mid 5’s. Seems close to perfect no matter the load. Planes at a low speed. Gets up on step fine even with 4 people and a load of fish.

I have the same model, but a 1994. Have a 115hp 2 stroke Yammy on the back with an 8hp kicker. It is heavy in the rear end, but not terribly. I would put a 90 on if I was to do it all over again. No need for me to do over 45 mph anymore, either!

The 542 had different lengths depending on which model year you had. The later 542SC were longer then the original 542. I hae a 2002 542 and it is specified as being only 18' long.
Ahhhhhhhh thanks for clarifying!

Back