What's for dinner tonight ?

Pickled (marinated) Haida Gwaii Chanterelles with some salami, asiago and crusty bread. Perfect for an afternoon red :). I feel like this simpler time is taking me back to Nonna's kitchen more often.
View attachment 51773
I could eat that plate of food you made every day, trade you a jar... :) IMG_4197.JPG

st6eMLl.jpg

YrJShJL.jpg

rtDOgRs.jpg

kHxIBS9.jpg

Hungey.jpg

Can you guys share your pickled mushroom recipes?
I just winged it but essentially boil in a pickling broth for ten minutes, dump in a jar and top off with olive oil. I used full strength vinegar but I think most recipe's call for 50:50 water and vinegar then you strain it out before adding to the jar. I added thin sliced onions, garlic, salt, pepper and red peppers to mine as well. I threw all that in the pan for the last minute or two. I made mine stronger because I wanted them to eat right away but just think of it like dressing a salad. You really can't screw them up but try a few smaller batches to tweak to your taste. I'm also quite certain the chanterelles finish faster than the buttons, my grandparents only did chanterelles this way but I might consider slicing a batch of the buttons as well. The texture changes completley and they have the chew of really tender meat, it's amazing.
20200403_172103.jpg

Last edited:
Grilled moose burger, extra old cheddar, thick cut hickory smoked bacon served on fresh made Navajo flat bread.

49735897163_2bf8f31e9f_z.jpg

@walleyes is there a chance you could share the bread recipe? I recall having it growing up and its fantastic. I would love to know how to make it

My wife does add a half teaspoon of yeast to this recipe just to give it a little fluff I guess you could say.

49751511922_59dba8154b_z.jpg

Thank you sir! I'm making this tonight

Just a hint of chicken broth and some garlic.
They do "make" their own juice.

Cheers,
Nog
Ever try any other mushrooms? I'm loving this whole pressure canning thing. I did some stocks already but next is stew. I used to hear of guys doing straight elk meat and apparently it made it's own gravy in the jar.

Ever try any other mushrooms? I'm loving this whole pressure canning thing. I did some stocks already but next is stew. I used to hear of guys doing straight elk meat and apparently it made it's own gravy in the jar.

No other shrooms, simply had a big load of chantrelles and needed to do something with them.

Deer, elk, moose, all good.

Cheers,
Nog

Can you guys share your pickled mushroom recipes?
Pickled mushrooms recipe ( One jar per boat outing lol )

- In a pot - 2 cups of water , 2 cups of white vinegar, 2 bay leaves, tspn salt, slice 2 garlic cloves, bring to a boil and place a batch of mushrooms
in the pot for 10 min then remove mushrooms and place on a cloth to dry slightly and continue the rest..

-Ingredients for jarring - 4 cloves garlic sliced, 2 red chillies sliced or crushed dried chillies and peppercorns.

- Jarring- on the bottom of the jar 3 peppercorns, 2 slices of garlic, 1 slice of chilli, then the first 1-2" layer of mushrooms
then continue the layering of ingredients all the way to the top of the jar, leave 1" at the top for oil..

After jar is full of mushrooms, fill it all the way to the top with olive oil or a lighter tasting oil if you like, will be ready in a week
my son can never wait already into it, it doesn't last long so delicious...
E4DEB64B-AEEA-43B4-97EB-19B2831E5A52.JPG
02E5A1AC-8582-4FE3-B0EA-1298F0A41704.JPG
01CAFFA2-BB25-4769-B8C6-73DFB75F2A7E.JPG
57941305-B7B6-4010-981C-AF3B0F00F5AF.JPG
8DBE9BE7-A4CD-4A7B-87D5-2D939A1488AF.JPG

Attachments

• EF29DA9D-99D5-4DD9-8A1D-39F6ACD05901.JPG
    EF29DA9D-99D5-4DD9-8A1D-39F6ACD05901.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Pickled mushrooms recipe ( One jar per boat outing lol )

- In a pot - 2 cups of water , 2 cups of white vinegar, 2 bay leaves, tspn salt, slice 2 garlic cloves, bring to a boil and place a batch of mushrooms
in the pot for 10 min then remove mushrooms and place on a cloth to dry slightly and continue the rest..

-Ingredients for jarring - 4 cloves garlic sliced, 2 red chillies sliced or crushed dried chillies and peppercorns.

- Jarring- on the bottom of the jar 3 peppercorns, 2 slices of garlic, 1 slice of chilli, then the first 1-2" layer of mushrooms
then continue the layering of ingredients all the way to the top of the jar, leave 1" at the top for oil..

After jar is full of mushrooms, fill it all the way to the top with olive oil or a lighter tasting oil if you like, will be ready in a week
my son can never wait already into it, it doesn't last long so delicious...
View attachment 51828
View attachment 51825
View attachment 51830
View attachment 51831
View attachment 51832

Thanks a lot you guys. I am definitely going to do this next fall if we aren’t all dead by then.

Thank you sir! I'm making this tonight

This was good! The whole family crushed it. I will try with yeast once I can find some. We limit grocery store runs to every 2 weeks & always sold out of yeast... This recipe was so needed. We havent had bread for a while & this was perfect.

I will be making again this weekend

Thanks a lot you guys. I am definitely going to do this next fall if we aren’t all dead by then.
Next fall!?!!.. no do it now while we are still alive :D ... start it now to enjoy it while in lock down, i'll being doing quite a few different pickled veg, eggplant next

Last edited:
This was good! The whole family crushed it. I will try with yeast once I can find some. We limit grocery store runs to every 2 weeks & always sold out of yeast... This recipe was so needed. We havent had bread for a while & this was perfect.

If you can't find yeast, we've been enjoying sourdough for waffles, bread, and rolls lately. You need to start a starter. Once you have an active starter, you could probably use some of the discard in Walleye's flatbread recipe.
It takes time, but I have lots of that now. Lots of good recipes online for the finished products, but this will get your starter started. You can use all-purpose flour, but rye and whole wheat help get the starter going. Distilled water helps, too. $2.00 a gallon, no chlorine, which may kill the wild yeast and other funky microbes you're trying to grow.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

Back