Discussing DFO with Pierre Poilievre

Blue Hewes

Had the opportunity to speak to PP tonight at his rally in Coquitlam. I told him that DFO is killing the recreational fishers on our coast with their incompetence and mismanagement. That they are politically motivated and ignore the data and science presented to them. I told him we need a MSF and that we need to clip ALL of our hatchery fish. He asked me what I meant by that and I explained an adipose fin and how that is used to identify a hatchery fish. I told him our tax dollars pay for those fish and we need access to them. As our time was up I told him to speak to Bob Zimmer for more information. He turned to someone and said make a note that I need to speak to Bob. Overall he seemed like he was listening and was interested in what I had to say. Could have just played the part and wasn’t listening at all but I like to think he was. Might make him think the next time he has Salmon for dinner😉. I feel good about making my point and speaking up. I guess that’s all we can do. I encourage others to do the same if you can. I don’t feel like he was aware of our issues.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 53
I would love to sit down with a politician and ask why they believe fish management should be political based decisions and not scientific. I'm not talking about fisheries management just the stock survival. There should not be a mix of the two when it comes to stock survival. Also conservation should be enforced first before rights or reconciliation

If only the residents of VI can get it ....... and the lower mainland.
Indeed, and I think by now we have a really good idea how the Liberal politics of idealism plays out for the recreational fishery. Turning everything into a park, because its good for us and daddy Trudeau knows best how to manage small coastal community economies. Closing fisheries with no objective evidence the recreational fishery competes with SRKW for prey, and because there is a fake Chinook crisis despite the fact there is significant abundance in many stocks that are available as prey....I could go on and on.

It would seem that most residents care more about other issues than sportfishing, hunting, firearms and resource based communities. I can't think of any other reason for the voting patterns on the island and LML.

I think small coastal communities also lack the resources and strategic focus to get their message of community reliance on fisheries out to the starbucks city goers. The ENGO's are all well funded, and constantly beating the drum with their sky is falling anti-fishing message.

Its a hard sell to convince those that care about the environment,habitat and fish that the conservatives will be better.

100% they will be better for harvest and rec fishing accesses but even among those on this site that fish and have seen there opportunities taken away many won't consider cons an option even for one sec.

because there is a fake Chinook crisis despite the fact there is significant abundance in many stocks that are available

I said this back in 2019 and got ripped by people on here, "oh the cowichan is just a flash in the pan" "you know nothing there was chinook everywhere in the 1970's" bla bla bla

Their dumb then….period.

There is a poll on here for the last election 20% NDP, I think it would be interesting how many would still support NDP given there vote was used to create a Liberal Government.

Good point, I think ol Jagmeet had a large political miscalculation - how is a vote for Federal NDP not just a vote for the Federal Libs? Guess in the end for rec fishers we need to take a long look at which party is most likely to make policy decisions that best support our fishery interests. I'm really certain that we know what we get with Liberal and NDP on Federal front. I personally don't put the Provincial NDP in that same box, quite the opposite based on their track record as compared to the competition.

Its a hard sell to convince those that care about the environment,habitat and fish that the conservatives will be better.

100% they will be better for harvest and rec fishing accesses but even among those on this site that fish and have seen there opportunities taken away many won't consider cons an option even for one sec.
You wonder why? The first thing the Harper government did was gut all the legislated environment protection brought into law over the last 20+ years... so go figure why?

Here's hoping I guess. Harper didn't change anything. He didn't take the FN economic opportunities away (you remember - the "race based" fishery). But he didn't give FNs anything extra either. He met them and wore a head bonnet, said thank you and forgot about them. If PP gets in I'd expect him to act much the same. The guy doesn't understand fisheries policy. Doubtful he cares much either. He can wear a seal coat and look a little geeky but he has no idea what coast they are supposedly eating all the salmon and which coast they are eating all the cod.

... The guy doesn't understand fisheries policy. Doubtful he cares much either....

He has an excellent team who completely understand fisheries on our west coast.
Headed by Mel Arnold, there are several others that are right up to snuff.
I chat with them rather frequently, and they are well aware.
And they definitely do have Pierre's ear, he is listening.
I also chat with him from time to time. Personally that is.

Before you pooh pah what you know not, I'd suggest doing a little background research.

Reality.

Matt

Back