Help Finding a high wattage/temperature 12 volt Element for Warming Oven

Now you've got me thinking about strapping a warming box onto my Espar outlet. That thing cooks!

Mind you, I do have four burners, an oven and a bbq on board.
I know what you mean. Can't park to close to any thing near the Espar exhaust. That seems like it might be an option. What about the Espar hot water outlet. I don't have an oven and my BBQ cant be up well we're fishing.

Last edited:
Now you've got me thinking about strapping a warming box onto my Espar outlet. That thing cooks!

Mind you, I do have four burners, an oven and a bbq on board.
All you’re missing is a private chef to provide you with a coursed meal while you drive around asking other boats “how deep?” 😜

A couple of things I'm thinking about.
Question 1) What is the maximum permitted charging load on a 200 Mercury DTS running at 700 rpm.
2) If I do build a heating element that is satisfactory how and what non-combustible, durable surface could it be mounted on and how would I protect it from incidental damage.
1. your merc assuming it has a factory alternator usually has a 70A one. thats 70 peak at WOT. For sustained you shouldnt go over 35A for safety. assuming WOT is 6000rpm and 6000/~700 = 1/6th output at WOT. so at 700rpm you will get 70 x 1/6 = 11 amps or so. its not linear but lets assume its linear since youre at idle. realistically youre likely to see 8-10amps max. you can pull that all day long since its below max 35A.

2. you would have to bond it on a heat resistant surface likely a block of stainless steel or something and enclose it. probably put some heat resistant insulation below it. you can drop in some ceramic fiber insulation from a welding blanket or something below it which should be fine.

you might be better off just getting a magma propane grill. i have a portable one which takes food and locks it in the box and then keeps it at a constant temp. the flame is not exposed.

1. your merc assuming it has a factory alternator usually has a 70A one. thats 70 peak at WOT. For sustained you shouldnt go over 35A for safety. assuming WOT is 6000rpm and 6000/~700 = 1/6th output at WOT. so at 700rpm you will get 70 x 1/6 = 11 amps or so. its not linear but lets assume its linear since youre at idle. realistically youre likely to see 8-10amps max. you can pull that all day long since its below max 35A.
I'm wondering if the alternator has a linear out put to RPM as your math suggest. Your math might be very well right ,but I can't help but think that the engineers at Mercury may have anticipated high electrical loads for extended periods at idle????? I've been experimenting with the Nichrome wire and would like to maintain a 40 amp load for up to 3 hours. 40amp x 12.4 volts = 496watts
Question 1) For the last 3 hours of an 8 hour run will the house batteries (2 x Group 57 6v) and the alternator at Idle (700 RPM) be enough to supply the oven and still have enough power to run the boat lights toilet etcetera overnight
2) How will the new electronic battery management system deal with the load on the house batteries?

Last edited:
2. you would have to bond it on a heat resistant surface likely a block of stainless steel or something and enclose it. probably put some heat resistant insulation below it. you can drop in some ceramic fiber insulation from a welding blanket or something below it which should be fine.
I'm thinking of using the ridged but soft boiler refractory as an insulator for the oven. I'm going to use two brass flat bars 17 inches apart, which gives me 8 amps at 12.4 volts with 22 gauge nichrome wire. I plan on drilling and taping the brass flat bar and using 1/4 pan head screws too secure both the power supply and the Nichrome wire. I will use one piece of Nichrome wire and weave it back and forth between the bars 5 times giving me a 400 watt element+-. I haven't figured out what non conductor I'm going to use to hold the brass bars apart and to provide a larger surface area to secure the element assembly to the floor of the oven, but I'm considering non asbestos board. It would be nice if I could figure out a better material because I have to also have to support a grate just above the element to hold the trays and protect the element. Still wondering about the door Pizza oven or top load both has there advantages and pitfalls.
Thank you for your input it helps a lot
Cheers
Keith

Last edited:

The aussies do this.....not sure if this was posted yet. Someone in Canada sells something like this for car camp.....sorry.....Overlanding....
Thank you for the suggestion. Its small and 120 watts is a bit low to heat supper for 3 people.

Wind your own. .. nichrome wire and a temperature controller. Or if thats to hard.. a couple of old school headlight 100watt headlight bulbs.
I checked out the Nichrome wire and I'm just going to string it back and forth 5 times between two energized brass bars 17 inches apart. Its a great length for the oven and it's super easy to change the element, just loosen the screws and weave it back and forth between the screws. it will also produce super even heat.

I checked out the Nichrome wire and I'm just going to string it back and forth 5 times between two energized brass bars 17 inches apart. Its a great length for the oven and it's super easy to change the element, just loosen the screws and weave it back and forth between the screws. it will also produce super even heat.
Would be curious to see how much current that will draw at 12V. I’d be conservative with my breaker current rating, and liberal with my wire gauge.

There are places where you can usually get your fish by early afternoon, leaving plenty of time to anchor, clean the boat, have a cocktail and appy, and then cook dinner on a barby or camp stove.

Would be curious to see how much current that will draw at 12V. I’d be conservative with my breaker current rating, and liberal with my wire gauge.
Yes I'll be taking your advice. I currently have a 100 amp fusible link on a pair of 2/0 cables and a plug that I run a portable rectifier that runs a Foodsaver vacupacker. I haven't figured out how I'm going to power the oven. Originally I was thinking I plug it in to the existing 2/0 cables and fuses it down stream, but now I'm considering adding a separate power supply off the house buss and providing a separate power supply and breaker with a smaller wirer for the oven. I'm going test the crap out of the oven in my shop before I figure out the wiring on the boat. Unfortunately I really busy with fall chores for the past month so I haven't had time to work on this project!

There are places where you can usually get your fish by early afternoon, leaving plenty of time to anchor, clean the boat, have a cocktail and appy, and then cook dinner on a barby or camp stove.
I'm with you all the way! Unfortunately this notion is lost on my fishing Partners. They are sunup to sundown even when the fishing is good.

Back