What's for dinner tonight ?

I generally eat my local albacore raw sashimi style but not ashamed of liking tuna salad sandwiches. Boneless skinless pieces at 126 F for 30 minutes then ice chilled produces the softest freshest tuna salad I’ve tasted and you can control the saltiness yourself.

Recently purchased a sous vide machine and still trying new things so decided to try and turn something cheap and tough into beef dip. Picked up a tray of tied up chuck roasts from Costco for 27 dollars and yesterday dropped it into a 136 F bath for 24 hours. Picked up some potato rolls from Tall Shadow after work and got to work when I got home. Started the au jus by caramelizing some shallots and deglazed with 4 cups of water. Dropped 2 Knorr rich beef stock pots and put on simmer. Pulled the beef, pat dried and torched the beef. Poured the drippings into the au jus. Then sliced the beef. Nice surprise is the meat is perfectly rested out of sous vide so no bloody run off. Wish I could justify the $1500 for a proper deli slicer to shave it. Strained the au jus of the shallots and beef impuri with a Japanese fat strainer and plated it up. Beef came out very tender like properly cooked prime rib but larger grains. Wife who is a self proclaimed prime rib and beef dip expert was really amazed at how nice it came out. Great way to feed a crowd simple real food without breaking the bank. I’m sure 98% percent of general diners would believe it was prime rib if told so. View attachment 94678View attachment 94679View attachment 94680
Try some short ribs around 48 hours & 135 F. Amazing. Pork belly, Ribs, even eggs Benedict and creme brule.

Easily triple the production of last year, but last year was especially bad.
Yeah ours were smaller and sour last year too. This year, massive amount of huge sweet berries. It’s insane. Nice but crazy to see. On one of my work trips to Alberni in May I dug up a few salmon berries and a couple wild black berries and tried to transplant them in the garden here in the valley. One of them lived. Think blackberry. Or at least I hope it’s a blackberry lol. We’ll see next year I guess.IMG_6886.jpeg

No pics, but tonight we had teriyaki white spring kabobs, beets and carrots from the garden, potato salad (everything but the mayo from our garden or our chickens) and the wife made a deadly blue/blackberry crisp (first wild blackberries of the season). I love the 50’ meals that summer allows

Back