What is your favourite type of rod holder?

gotta be sanford or kirby lol..

fd

Kirby it is! Good on ya! Kinda figured you would be the one to guess that. Fell in love with Barkley sound this summer. I spent time in Barkley, Nootka and quatsino this summer, this was by far my favourite trip. Stayed at Pachena Bay.kids played on the beautiful beach, wife enjoyed camp for once ( hard to beat that camp) I will be back next year.

They still make those!

The old Sidewinder #222

222_Sidewinder_side.gif

Still my favorite!
Dave

You guys using the orca's make sure the lock is engaged I learned that lesson the hard way this year. I was lazy and liked to leave the lock off so I could quickly get the rod out of the holder. Found out a halibut can get it out even quicker then I can.

I still use the Orca from time to time but always engage the lock and it's a pain in the butt when you have to fiddle to unlock it before you can grab your fish. I liked them a lot too... but lose one rod over the edge and you'll be re thinking them.

I warned ya about that GDW, Haha, sorry for your loss! Scotty Striker's all the way, !

I would be worried about the amount of leverage on those puppies. That is a lot of stress on that joint through bolt connection given the length of the arm. Over time, UV deterioration & big fish strike....doh! A while back guys where talking about the "stock" scotty DR holders breaking. Seems to be way less leverage on the Scotty design, so if they were breaking....

That said as funny as it sounds, some pretty incredable plastics being made these days.

Just my $.02

Been using Folbe's for 6 years. Have had big Sturgeon bend the rod tip into the river, no problem, just lift the loaded rod straight up, with no effort. Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using Folbe's for 6 years. Have had big Sturgeon bend the rod tip into the river, no problem, just lift the loaded rod straight up, with no effort. Awesome!

Been hearing the samething.... just wanted to make sure before doing the switch...

:)

The design of the Folbe rod holders differs from orcas mainly in the guide box design. The Folbes have a integral semi circle shoe in the centre which guides the moveable side of the holder in a fluid continuous straight up motion to facilitate the easy rod release. Orca requires a jerking motion to get the rod out, andmoveable side is hinged at both ends. Folbe rod holders do not damage cork rod handles. Their self locking design requires the user to lift on the rod in front and rear of the holder to release its grip. If lifted from one end only, the design just tightens the grip on the rod, thus allowing the rod to be held even tighter and not releasing the rod overboard. Folbe have a push button lock on the side,Orca have a locking ring on front. Folbe was the original designer of this type of rod holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
another vote for folbe's, I use them for all types, fly, spinning, mooching and baitcasters.
perfect for the Sturgeon hookset

Good stuff guys. This is exactly the type of banter I was after. I have never heard of folbes. I'll check them out. My wife's family are all from the mainland and so I always have to take them fishing. I have had more than one good fish lost this year due to problems getting the rod out of the holder. I even hold a mini " tutorial " on how to remove rod from holder, remove slack and set hook all in one motion. ( kinda ) but the main problem for them ( and sometimes me admittedly ) is the initial contact with the rod. I used to fish with this guy a lot, once he saw the rod bounce, he would use his motor to set the hook. I thought this was kinda stupid, but the more I dwell on it, the more I wonder. I mean, the guy has caught more fish in the last three years than I have in my life. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Good ideas dropping or raising the rigger or speeding up the motor to set the hook. It will give the guys using the old style rod holders time to get the rod out and then fight the fish.

Folbe's are awesome. I've tried the Orca's too and I think the Folbe's are better and much smoother. A quick tip on the Folbe's for keeping them releasing smooth as butter is to take it part and then use a piece of 2000 grit sandpaper lightly on the edges of the slide bar. It makes them just like brand new.

DSCN6918.jpg

Back