What can WE do to help save the salmon?

Ok Lorne I can see you have a fair bit of misinformation. As this thread is about chinook here ya go...

I'll say!!! Here's fish4all commenting on the recent article in the Globe:
fish4all

12:10 PM on May 14, 2012
Last year the sports sector took 500,000 chinook off this coast. Far more than the commercial trollers touched. I dont care how much money they think the recreational fishery contributes. If there is no fish there is no fish. Conservation is suppose to trump. Having 275,000 unaccountable anglers will be the end of our coast. Pretty short sighted article.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...es-in-the-bc-fishery/article2430217/comments/
500,000 chinook??? Really... Your credibility is non-existant!

There has been a lot of talk lately on what DFO needs to do to save the salmon. They do NEED to step up and make changes to their management and they NEED to base their decisions on science, not money or politics. But I have rarely heard suggestions on what we (sporties) can do to save the salmon. I am interested in hearing what others have to say regarding this.

I don`t want to start any fights, just want to encourage forward thinking.

This thread has turned into some kinda monster. Just seeing if I can get some thoughts from others on what they have done, or are doing to help the salmon.

This thread has turned into some kinda monster. Just seeing if I can get some thoughts from others on what they have done, or are doing to help the salmon.

Sorry about that Dave. This is the kind of thing that certain members that have posted want to happen.

I am starting to get more involved with my local hatchery with donations and hopefully volunteer time in the near future.

Just seeing if I can get some thoughts from others on what they have done, or are doing to help the salmon.

It's pretty clear that large numbers of us have decided that the 3 best things we can do for salmon are 1) to petition politicos and the media to get disease-ridded fish farms out of our ocean, 2) to boycott Atlantic salmon and the stores that sell it and 3) to raise funds and awareness in the support of Alexandra Morton's research into the rampant disease that's originating from the salmon feedlots.

But I have rarely heard suggestions on what we (sporties) can do to save the salmon. I am interested in hearing what others have to say regarding this..

Personally, I have attended here, D.F.O. meetings and Alex's seminar, to educate myself; I have written letters and op-ed pieces to the TC and the Globe; I have protested at the Leg. and signed many petitions protesting against fish farms and the Enbridge NGP; and I have donated money to Alex's great work.

I'd say you initiated a good thread, Dave and that it is accomplishing more, positive things for our wild salmon than you might have imagined. Good job! :)

I'll say!!! Here's fish4all commenting on the recent article in the Globe:
fish4all

12:10 PM on May 14, 2012
Last year the sports sector took 500,000 chinook off this coast. Far more than the commercial trollers touched. I dont care how much money they think the recreational fishery contributes. If there is no fish there is no fish. Conservation is suppose to trump. Having 275,000 unaccountable anglers will be the end of our coast. Pretty short sighted article.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...es-in-the-bc-fishery/article2430217/comments/
500,000 chinook??? Really... Your credibility is non-existant!

phone up maynard and the salmon commission and get the numbers yourself. Seriously you have 275,000+ participants that is less than 2 fish per person. Why so unbelievable. I am a poor at best sports fisherman and took 4 last year.

I live right beside the CAT stream here in Nanaimo,and will inquire about planting coho eggs w/ those Scotty incubation box's.The creek is perfect for it I believe.Anyone have any connections with the Nanaimo hatchery people..who to contact.???????

phone up maynard and the salmon commission and get the numbers yourself. Seriously you have 275,000+ participants that is less than 2 fish per person. Why so unbelievable. I am a poor at best sports fisherman and took 4 last year.

The Chinook angler average catch for 2011 will come out to be less than 1%, and actually probably will be closer to .053% per fishing trip. There really is no need to contact Jeremy Maynard, if one would just read what was actually written by him? Here let me help you out once and for all and maybe stop with that 500,000 BS number and this is the actual article written:

The Ardent Angler : 2011 chinook numbers are impressive
Jeremy Maynard , Campbell River Courier-Islander
Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2012

With the arrival of the new year the finalized accounting of the 2011 fishing season catches is finished and the results published. There may be small adjustments to come but these will be minor and in no way substantially alter the current understanding of what was caught where or when and by which separate fishing group.

Many recreational fishermen, me included, thought 2011 was one of the best years overall for chinook salmon in southern British Columbia for some time and now the finished catch data supports that impression. In this vast area, which in DFO accounting is the area between Cape Caution and the border with Washington State and includes the Fraser River, the aggregate recreational chinook salmon harvest last year was approximately 195,000 fish, an impressive total to my way of thinking.

Of this over 138,000 were caught along the west coast of Vancouver Island. Because part of this broad area falls under management provisions arising from the Pacific Salmon Treaty (PST) the chinook harvest, by all user groups, is divided into two categories: aggregate abundance-based management (AABM) and individual stock-based management (ISBM). Although there are seasonal exceptions, as a generalization these can be considered respectively as outside and inside the surfline.

I don't have the historic catch data but I'm thinking the 2011 WCVI recreational chinook catch might be a record, or close to it. At 78,000 fish certainly the AABM or offshore catch was, with especially strong results from the southwest area between Nitinat and Tofino. In addition to abundance, weather conditions were generally more favourable last summer, without the relentless westerly winds that so characterized the previous season, allowing anglers to more consistently head out into open water.

As the word aggregate would imply in this context, the stock composition in the offshore area is highly mixed and in fact on average, across the years and by all gear-types, about three-quarters of the chinook caught there are US origin fish hence the overarching PST management provisions.

Inshore the strong ISBM catch of approximately 60,000 chinook salmon was driven by higher than forecast returns to the terminal areas adjacent to the three main WCVI hatcheries - Robertson Creek (Stamp River), Conuma River (Nootka Sound) and the Nitinat River. Good news as this was, it contrasts with another low chinook return to the more numerous smaller and frequently unenhanced WCVI rivers. Why there should be such a disparity in their relative performance is something of a puzzle but until a sustained rebuilding trend with these smaller chinook stocks becomes evident the complex suite of time and area recreational fishery regulations along and inside the surfline will remain.
With some local exceptions, overall chinook fishing in Johnstone Strait and the Strait of Georgia was good last year, totaling about 40,600 fish between Port Hardy and this side of Victoria. The catch in Juan de Fuca Strait at 16,700 chinook was a little below the recent five-year average, in part caused by the suite of regulations designed to lower the harvest of passing Fraser River stocks of concern in the spring and early summer.

In 2011 anglers in the Fraser River lost the first two and a half months of their traditional salmon season once again and for the second year in a row salmon fishing in-river was prohibited until July 15. However, thanks largely to another very strong return of summer-run chinook to the Thompson River, anglers in the Fraser watershed caught just over 16,000 fish.

Switching to coho salmon, the contrast in fishing success between the west coast of Vancouver Island and the inner south coast in 2011 was even greater than with chinook. In the stretch from Victoria to Quatsino Sound anglers retained approximately 65,000 coho, mostly adipose fin-clipped fish but also some wild coho from some areas inside the surfline. In addition another 111,000 coho were released. If to those who only wet a line in the Strait of Georgia these numbers seem almost like those from yesteryear, I can vouch from personal experience the kind of fishing that lead to their creation.

Conversely, in the stretch from the east side of Victoria clear up to Kelsey Bay, including the mainland side of the Strait of Georgia, the assessed retained catch of coho last summer totaled about 1,200 fish, all adipose fin-clipped, with a little more than twice as many released. Thinking back to the 1970's and '80's and recreational harvests that sometimes reached a million coho, with a substantial commercial troll catch in addition, it is hard to believe we're talking about the same area. More than a dozen years after the coho harvest was all but ended around the inner south coast this stock complex stubbornly refuses to bounce back to anything like its former level of abundance.

Along the upper part of Johnstone Strait and the associated mainland shore (areas 11 & 12) the coho catch was somewhere in between the two previously described areas; at about 6,000 fish it was a little higher than the recent five-year average.

Switching briefly to Fraser River sockeye and having previously described the disaster that befell the Early Stuart run in 2011, in total the Fraser sockeye return was quite a bit larger than the mid-point pre-season forecast 3.17 million fish. As well, once the freshet subsided somewhat all the other sockeye stocks had good in-river migration and spawning conditions.

Bearing in mind the usual four-year cycle of these fish it is worth noting that, in the 80 plus years of consistent assessment for Fraser sockeye, the early summer stock return in 2011 was the second largest on this cycle line and the summer stock was the fourth largest in the time series. Something to celebrate and hopefully laying the foundation of a productive season in 2015!

In finishing, it was disappointing to see DFO Minister Ashfield was in BC last week and yet not a word regarding halibut allocation. For the west coast marine recreational fishery no decision is more important and it can't come soon enough.
© Campbell River Courier-Islander 2012

195,000+60,000= 255,000 south of cape caution. So the north caught zero?

Would you just "STOP" and do the ****'n math and, I do quote:

"I don't have the historic catch data but I'm thinking the 2011 WCVI recreational chinook catch might be a record, or close to it. At 78,000 fish certainly the AABM or offshore catch was, with especially strong results from the southwest area between Nitinat and Tofino."

IF... the Canadian "sport sector" was to catch 500,000 Chinook, the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and California would be all over the government of Canada - as in breach of the Pacific Salmon Treaty!

Enough said... as "YOU" are really starting to look like a "FOOL"!

Would you just "STOP" and do the ****'n math and, I do quote:
"I don't have the historic catch data but I'm thinking the 2011 WCVI recreational chinook catch might be a record, or close to it. At 78,000 fish certainly the AABM or offshore catch was, with especially strong results from the southwest area between Nitinat and Tofino." Enough said... as "YOU" are really starting to look like a "FOOL"!

fish4all is a DISCREDITED FOOL! Thanks for calling him on his outrageous bullsh*t, Charlie.
Here's some numbers, courtesy of a friend:

For the period October 2010 through September 2011, the forecast chinook abundance index was 1.15 of the PST base period. Therefore, under treaty provisions, the maximum allowable catch was 196,800 chinook for WCVI AABM fisheries; which includes a 30% reduction consistent with the new treaty provisions that came into effect in January 2009.

Of this total, 60,000 was the pre-season expected catch for the offshore recreational and First Nations fisheries. The remaining 136,800 Chinook were allocated to the WCVI troll fishery.

Further considerations for managing chinook catch in WCVI AABM fisheries are driven by concerns regarding the low status of natural WCVI, Lower Strait of Georgia (LGS), and Spring 42/52 and summer 52 Fraser River chinook and Interior Fraser coho populations.

Several ocean fisheries in Canada that intercept WCVI origin Chinook, including Northern troll, Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii) sport, WCVI troll and WCVI sport, are limited to a 10% exploitation rate, even if PST provisions allow for a higher catch. Management measures are in place to reduce the impact of fisheries on WCVI origin chinook while still providing harvest opportunities.

Continued efforts were made in 2011 to limit the impact of the troll fishery on low status chinook populations, including time and area constraints, as well as limits on effort (boat-days) to protect Spring 42/52 and summer 52 Fraser River chinook stocks.

AABM chinook catch and release information from all fisheries can be found in Appendix 3.

Table 6 1: Pre-Season and Post-Season Total Allowable and Preliminary Catch Estimates for October 2010-September 2011 WCVI AABM Chinook
.......................................Pre-Season ...................Post-Season
WCVI AABM Abundance Index: 1.15 ........................under review
WCVI AABM Chinook TAC:....... 196,800 ..................under review
AABM Recreational Catch: ....55,000 ..........................78,350
First Nations Catch:................... 5,000 .............................4,289
Area G Troll Catch:................. 136,800* .......................123,930

Total AABM Catch:................................................................. 206,569
*The total Area G troll TAC is calculated as the difference between the WCVI AABM chinook TAC less offshore recreational catch and First Nations FSC catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a curiosity question: who and how are fish, shellfish, sea weed.... quotas counted?

down this way, commercial fishermen sell to buyers who are required to submit their tonnage tickets in a regulated manner. tribal commercials typically sell to tribal buyers who apparently are not required to report tonnage tickets in a regulated manner. as a result, setting quotas before fishing for anything, would appear to be a mystical dance performed for the enjoyment of management at WDFW.

fish4all is a DISCREDITED FOOL! Thanks for calling him on his outrageous bullsh*t, Charlie.
Here's some numbers, courtesy of a friend:

For the period October 2010 through September 2011, the forecast chinook abundance index was 1.15 of the PST base period. Therefore, under treaty provisions, the maximum allowable catch was 196,800 chinook for WCVI AABM fisheries; which includes a 30% reduction consistent with the new treaty provisions that came into effect in January 2009.

Of this total, 60,000 was the pre-season expected catch for the offshore recreational and First Nations fisheries. The remaining 136,800 Chinook were allocated to the WCVI troll fishery.

Further considerations for managing chinook catch in WCVI AABM fisheries are driven by concerns regarding the low status of natural WCVI, Lower Strait of Georgia (LGS), and Spring 42/52 and summer 52 Fraser River chinook and Interior Fraser coho populations.

Several ocean fisheries in Canada that intercept WCVI origin Chinook, including Northern troll, Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii) sport, WCVI troll and WCVI sport, are limited to a 10% exploitation rate, even if PST provisions allow for a higher catch. Management measures are in place to reduce the impact of fisheries on WCVI origin chinook while still providing harvest opportunities.

Continued efforts were made in 2011 to limit the impact of the troll fishery on low status chinook populations, including time and area constraints, as well as limits on effort (boat-days) to protect Spring 42/52 and summer 52 Fraser River chinook stocks.

AABM chinook catch and release information from all fisheries can be found in Appendix 3.

Table 6 1: Pre-Season and Post-Season Total Allowable and Preliminary Catch Estimates for October 2010-September 2011 WCVI AABM Chinook
.......................................Pre-Season ...................Post-Season
WCVI AABM Abundance Index: 1.15 ........................under review
WCVI AABM Chinook TAC:....... 196,800 ..................under review
AABM Recreational Catch: ....55,000 ..........................78,350
First Nations Catch:................... 5,000 .............................4,289
Area G Troll Catch:................. 136,800* .......................123,930

Total AABM Catch:................................................................. 206,569
*The total Area G troll TAC is calculated as the difference between the WCVI AABM chinook TAC less offshore recreational catch and First Nations FSC catch.

no point in getting personal foxy. I was repeating numbers from one of the representitives I have emailed him again this morning for clarification and if I am mistaken in the math I will post it.

just a curiosity question: who and how are fish, shellfish, sea weed.... quotas counted?

down this way, commercial fishermen sell to buyers who are required to submit their tonnage tickets in a regulated manner. tribal commercials typically sell to tribal buyers who apparently are not required to report tonnage tickets in a regulated manner. as a result, setting quotas before fishing for anything, would appear to be a mystical dance performed for the enjoyment of management at WDFW.

In the groundfish fishery we have cameras and dockside monitoring. They count every fish we encounter.

Salmon, herring, dockside monitor counting/ weighing fish.

All monitoring is followed by a bill as we are responsible as a harvester to pay the majority of those costs.

In the groundfish fishery we have cameras and dockside monitoring. They count every fish we encounter.

Salmon, herring, dockside monitor counting/ weighing fish.

All monitoring is followed by a bill as we are responsible as a harvester to pay the majority of those costs.

is this true for FNs as well??

The Nanaimo hatchery has just release a lot of pinks into the system. I'm learning a bit about how their whole system works and the Millstone River side channel is apparently working great. I want to help out more locally if I can in the future. We just replaced a ladder on one of the docks that the hatchery uses. The ladder was not removable and got torn off during one of the winter storms. We donated a nice galvanized removable ladder to take it's place. Little thing's like this all add's up in the end with the whole program. I will keep it up if I can.

Sorry Dave S for the butt hat that keeps hijacking this thread. He is paid to be here to ruffle our feathers between ourselves and we just have to deal with it however we can.

Cheers,
John

Not at all jumping on the "Fish4all" band wagon; however, "the butt" has donated more than me and most? So, I guess I need to correct that? And, I do challenge any and all of you to do the same and I do quote:

$500.00
Fish4all
1 day ago
Keep up the good fight Alex. Thank you for all your efforts.

NICE JOB... FISH4ALL! :)

Back