What can WE do to help save the salmon?

Well, you did such a fine job with that information, how about taking that information posted regarding Cermaq reporting on those “winter sores” and write another? Which btw that "could" actually be ISA disease, as until now "winter sores" has been pretty much unheard as being a problem here the Pacific Northwest?

Charlie, you are a brilliant researcher!!! I'll put the letter out but we need more than one name on these . My wife agreed to author this one, so we'll see if we have "editorial fatigue", yet. The lobbyists change it up - designated hitters: this time going by "Warkentin."

Reply to T.C.; May 4 Opinion: Warkentin - Aquaculture Salmon Healthy; Disease- free

Once again, a fish farm lobbyist provides us with an inaccurate portrayal of farmed fish. To suggest that open, net-pen-farmed Atlantic salmon are healthy or disease-free is an enormous departure from scientific evidence and the reported facts.

Fact: The writer states the farmed salmon need inoculations against contagious diseases. Our wild salmon are provided no such advantage.

Fact: Dr. Miller, D.F.O., has found wild salmon with viral infections identical in genetic make-up to those so prevalent in farmed salmon.

Fact: The Report to Shareholders from Norwegian fish farmer Cermaq states that they are experiencing lower revenues in B.C. That's because their fish are not marketable when covered in contagious "winter sores" - ISA viral ulcers.

Fact: Norwegian fish farmer Marine Harvest has informed their shareholders that revenues have also suffered in B.C. That's because of wide-spread and contagious Kudoa infection. It causes "soft, mushy flesh", making the diseased fish unmarketable.

Fact: Dr. Kristi Miller has stated that unless the contagious diseases propagated by fish farms are contained, our wild salmon are just "dead fish swimming."

Fact: Salmon feedlots have prohibited further testing.

Are they afraid to reveal the truth to the public about farmed Atlantic Salmon - that they are seriously and contagiously diseased!

The shareholders already know that!

Charlie has provided enough information for several more opinion pieces or letters - whos' up next? Let's keep the pressure on and keep putting the facts out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest:
Reply to T.C.; May 4 Opinion: Warkentin - Aquaculture Salmon Healthy; Disease- free

Once again, a fish farm lobbyist provides us with an inaccurate portrayal of farmed fish. To suggest that open, net-pen-farmed Atlantic salmon are healthy or disease-free is an enormous departure from scientific evidence and the reported facts.
I believe you will find them stating their fish are healthy, well managed, and control of both sea lice and disease, plus is a healthy food - all lies; however, I do not believe you will find any stating their fish are "disease-free"! That would be a huge PR blunder.

Fact: The writer states the farmed salmon need inoculations against contagious diseases. Our wild salmon are provided no such advantage.

Fact: Dr. Miller, D.F.O., has found wild salmon with viral infections identical in genetic make-up to those so prevalent in farmed salmon.

Unless things just recently changed... Dr. Miller "believes" as she is not allowed to test farmed salmon.

Fact: The Report to Shareholders from Norwegian fish farmer Cermaq states that they are experiencing lower revenues in B.C. That's because their fish are not marketable when covered in contagious "winter sores" - ISA viral ulcers.
Cermaq's would have either harvested early, or those fish DIED! "Winter sores" - ISA viral ulcers? Winter sores is a disease that produces boil like ulcers. It is completely different than ISA which is the result of ISAVirus. To the best of my knowledge neither are Northwest diseases; however, the big question there have they been tested by the government and is it "winter sores" or really "ISA"?

Fact: Norwegian fish farmer Marine Harvest has informed their shareholders that revenues have also suffered in B.C. That's because of wide-spread and contagious Kudoa infection. It causes "soft, mushy flesh", making the diseased fish unmarketable.

Fact: Dr. Kristi Miller has stated that unless the contagious diseases propagated by fish farms are contained, our wild salmon are just "dead fish swimming."

Fact: Salmon feedlots have prohibited further testing.
Salmon feedlots "morts" (dead fish) are actually only tested by BC (Dr. Gary et al) In Cohen the originally advised the would allow Dr. Miller to test their fish - they have since withdrawn that and are now prohibiting Dr. Miller to test their fish.

Are they afraid to reveal the truth to the public about farmed Atlantic Salmon - that they are seriously and contagiously diseased!

The shareholders already know that!

The are not required to disclose information (and do not want) to the British Columbia public to know. However, being a public traded company they are required by law to disclose and inform shareholders!

Charlie has provided enough information for several more opinion pieces or letters - whos' up next? Let's keep the pressure on and keep putting the facts out there.
Aaaaah, YEP - that is why I just keep on posting it and providing those links! GET THEM OUT! :)

May I suggest:

I believe you will find them stating their fish are healthy, well managed, and control of both sea lice and disease, plus is a healthy food - all lies; however, I do not believe you will find any stating their fish are "disease-free"! That would be a huge PR blunder.

The are not required to disclose information (and do not want) to the British Columbia public to know. However, being a public traded company they are required by law to disclose and inform shareholders!

Aaaaah, YEP - that is why I just keep on posting it and providing those links! GET THEM OUT! :)

Thanks for the feedback, Charlie. Here's the link: http://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...almon+healthy+disease+free/6565376/story.html

"Disease-free" !!! Whether by Warkentin or the T.C., it's a headline and a big OOPS, as you say, Charlie!

Another ouch for the feedlots - Da Boyz just keep doing it - shooting themselves in the feet. Put your guns down and walk away, boyz!

Thanks for the feedback, Charlie. Here's the link: http://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...almon+healthy+disease+free/6565376/story.html

"Disease-free" !!! Whether by Warkentin or the T.C., it's a headline and a big OOPS, as you say, Charlie!

Another ouch for the feedlots - Da Boyz just keep doing it - shooting themselves in the feet. Put your guns down and walk away, boyz!

"Aquaculture salmon healthy, disease-free" is a play on words, and/or misleading, and/or just flat-out lie? Remember most only read the headlines?

They do go on to state, "enter the ocean healthy and free of disease" and that may or may not be a true statement in itself, as even if the water is "UV treated" it has been shown UV does NOT kill "furunculosis" and if furunculosis is treated, it then can become immune to that treatment, allowing it to be carried over from year to year. :eek: :eek:

It may be that the newspaper added the title.
Hmm... Mainstream Canada Communications Officer, 2010 - present
If that was the case, which it might be? :confused:
Then guess I would have to ask... did he finish last in his class, or is he just STUPID? :eek: :p

Grant Warkentin
I work for Mainstream Canada, which grows farmed salmon in B.C. I am trying to figure out what I can do with a Google Plus page...

Tagline: Comfortable in the natural world and the virtual world.

Introduction
  • Born and raised in B.C., grew up a country boy and loved it.
  • Married my sweetheart from university and moved to Alberta for a couple years.
  • Moved back to Vancouver Island for a journalism job.
  • Working now in communications in salmon aquaculture, a fascinating and exciting industry.
  • We have two wonderful kids.
Bragging rights: I have two brilliant kids.

Employment
  • Mainstream Canada Communications Officer, 2010 - present
  • Black Press/Campbell River Mirror Reporter/Photographer, 2011
  • Sun Media/Hinton Parklander 2001 - 2002
  • Canadian Autoparts Toyota Inc. (CAPTIN)
  • The Balanced Life magazine
  • Various dairy, hog and poultry farms
  • Plant nursery
Education
  • Kwantlen University College Journalism, 1999 - 2001
  • Trinity Western University History/English, 1995 - 1999
  • University College of the Fraser Valley 1994 - 1995
  • Sardis Senior Secondary School 1992 - 1994
  • Vedder Junior Secondary School 1989 - 1992

Hmm... Mainstream Canada Communications Officer, 2010 - present
If that was the case, which it might be? :confused:
Then guess I would have to ask... did he finish last in his class, or is he just STUPID? :eek: :p

Charlie - you have me lol again. :D
I'm going with stupid - so last in his class (in Vedder and Sardis, yet).
I do not know how you do it but you are THE RESEARCH GURU! (TRG from now on.)

Charlie - you have me lol again. :D
I'm going with stupid - so last in his class (in Vedder and Sardis, yet).
I do not know how you do it but you are THE RESEARCH GURU! (TRG from now on.)

You could be correct with the "STUPID"! :D

As Mainstream Canada is who... Cermaq! What did Cermaq just report? Disease! How much did that "disease" just affect the profit in Canada?

Now... was it the newspaper in error? Or, was it Mainstreams "communications officer"? Who is trying to tell everyone their fish are "disease-free"? Wondering minds want to know!

Nothing like asking who is trying to mislead the public here and can we have CLARIFICATION, EXPLAINATION, and a PUBLISHED RETRACTION on that one?

So much to "someones" PR career! :eek: :D

Oh... forgot! Please don't try and tell anyone this a "Myth", "Innuendo", “Presumptive", "Exaggeration" "Partial truth" "not confirmed", "unconfirmed", or any other of the terms Mainstream Canada is becoming infamous for, as this just happens to be "FACT" according to none other than - Mainstream Canada themselves!

And to add... what is posted on their website I can only say... What a f*@king joke:
http://www.mainstreamcanada.com/news/research-articles.php

Just to note... Canadian Senator Nicole Eaton was as appointed by Harper. The 'Anatomy of Deception (2012)' was written by an "ex-fish farmer" who now produces food for the "fish farms". 'Could escaped Atlantic salmon colonize B.C. waters? (2011)' wake-up Mainstream and/or do your homework as Atlantic salmon are already spawning in BC! Or are you want to play on the word "colonize"?

nothing new. conservative governments all favor corporations. ronald ray'gun started this movement in the 80s, was cemented in place by newt and went into full court press by the tea baggers. the corporatization of the US is virtually complete. canada has a ways to go but now that the pathway is clearly marked, it won't take very long. stopping this moving train would be a miracle, i know it's not going to happen on this side of the border. shuffle in our supremes and we have virtual control of our nation by major corporations who could care less about anything save obscene profits.

nothing new. conservative governments all favor corporations. Canada has a ways to go but now that the pathway is clearly marked, it won't take very long. stopping this moving train would be a miracle, ... shuffle in our supremes and we have virtual control of our nation by major corporations who could care less about anything save obscene profits.

I wonder how this could happen in a nation of reasonably well-educated people. Well, there's the problem: we are trained - not educated.
With the apparatus of government brainwashing (schooling), serving only to bamboozle us into the ingrained belief that government has a positive role to play in virtually all aspects of modern life, it should come to no surprise to anyone that we are now trained to look to big government to solve our problems – even though the same government (different parties, same government) created our problems in the first place (DFO?... sound familiar?) These governments keep alive the mythology they have created about their integrity and competence (DFO? F-35's? robo-calls? contract scandals?) ... so we now allow the Gordon Gekkos to run our world. The wealthy are celebrities (like pirates and western outlaws were)!

Government and their powerful corporate partners are expected to provide pretty much the whole dream wrapped in a tidy bow – including free "brainwashing" (schooling), day-care and health care, cheap goods from China, good jobs (exporting our resources to China), E.I., the down payment on homes, doctors, police and firemen when we need them, pensions for a lavish retirement and all that's to be provided through the taxes taken from...someone else! ...and certainly not the corporate partners either (DFO and fish farms?). Now the alarm clock has gone off! It's musical chairs - get your seat before the music stops.

Our country, from Mulroney (NAFTA and globalization is good for you.) onward , was being systematically destroyed from within, while we were watching ...
... pro-sports (sorry about those Canucks, again), Survivor and American Idol? So get educated on the issues (our wild salmon, Enbridge), help by organizing, protesting, writing, rallying, voting - show up, do something, while we still have some semblance of a democracy.

I happen to know where there is 5,000 or so people, plus people they know that really should get on board and support these efforts. Can you imagine 5,000 X 100 = 500,000 (plus) posters of this distributed to local supermarkets?

Well done Anissa!

Anissa Reed Wow.. thank you all for sharing this message. It prints out at 11 by 17. You can print them out at a local print shop or Staples, Kinkos etc. if you can share in your community. Our money is swallowed fast by the cost of testing fish so it is up to everyone to participate if we want wild salmon

Alexandra Morton you can download here and post everywhere http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2012/05/dont-bring-home-the-virus.html

Don't Bring Home the Virus! - alexandra morton
alexandramorton.typepad.com
Download virushomemay5_edited-4.jpeg (402.8K)

virushomemay5.jpg

Thank you Charlie. To many other Canadians wild salmon just does not appear on their radar. This needs to be viewed by as many as possible.

Hey Guys

Just got back from the interior, people are very worried about the salmon dying on the river banks without spawning. We are testing farm salmon in towns throughout Canada because the heart virus is extremely durable and in the flesh which means it can be flowing down drains as people wash fillets into watersheds everywhere. Was at a Canadian Food Inspection Agency meeting yesterday in Port Hardy where the CFIA denied all the test results we have to date and said they are going to let the fish farmers test their fish themselves for the ISA virus. That was pretty revealing, because at Cohen the CFIA testified that markets will close to farm salmon if ISA virus is confirmed in BC. We all know what that means, the salmon farmers are never going to find it and Canada is not going go looking in the farms. We have already passed tests Chile would accept, but Canada is telling us they won't believe it's ISA virus until we catch it alive, put it in a petri dish and grow it. This is difficult and generally only possible during a full blown epidemic..... I don't really want to wait for that so i am working hard to get enough samples to the labs in hopes they can catch the virus alive. This means fresh samples on ice shipped 1,000s of km. We were almost successful in a wild salmon, but I sent preserved not fresh samples and could not catch the virus alive. HOWEVER, just got the first bill and it is $25,000 !!!!! Bit of a shocker. We have set up a Go Fund Me account and I am asking for help. It costs $200/fish to do everything to a standard that will be accepted. It doesn't need to be that much, but we are breaking new ground and so be it. So please know every $20 helps, but I have to ask where are the rich folks who claim they love wild salmon???? It is time for the big guys to step up, if you know any please consider asking them to get involved. The Go Fund Me site is: http://www.gofundme.com/SalmonDiseaseTestingFund

It's up to us.

Hi Alexandra, I have marked your donation site and although things are tight for me right now I figure if I forgo a case or two of beer I can donate some $$$ to your fund.
Dave.

I have just sent you a donation and will try to keep more coming.

The way I figure it , if salmon farms are going to kill my salmon fishing I am going to invest my money in exposing them.

Thanks for the link, guys. - another donation done.

Back