What can WE do to help save the salmon?

Yee haw. Get the ball rolling boys, and lets get the truth out on those salmon farms.

How about we reduce the limit from 30 to 10. Would that not be doing our part?

Paper exercise, there are maybe 2 dozen people on this coast that keep 30 springs a year. Not worth the effort for the miniscule gains. Probably 85% of all BC sportfishers keep less than 5 springs a year.

then what is the problem with reducing the limits. And can you show me where you get your numbers from?

The problem is still with what is happening to them before they even reach catching size. With all your arguments even you should realize by now that there are way too many hazards in the way to maturity.

I fully agree there are many factors affecting the amount of available fish. Farms, habitat destruction, over fishing all contributing to the decline. Doesn't change the fact of what Is available today. So the thread is titled what can we do to help, my suggestion is reduce effort or reduce limits.

I agree then you also wouldn't mind contributing to Alexandra's research on the salmon diseases.

I fully agree there are many factors affecting the amount of available fish. Farms, habitat destruction, over fishing all contributing to the decline. Doesn't change the fact of what Is available today. So the thread is titled what can we do to help, my suggestion is reduce effort or reduce limits.

How about we reduce the limit from 30 to 10. Would that not be doing our part?

You bet it would!!

And i would fully support it, if you could show me a latteral move by the FN and the COMMIES. Reduce your pieces taken in ALL fisheries (gill, siene and troll) by 66% like you are asking us and im game.

Lorne

I agree then you also wouldn't mind contributing to Alexandra's research on the salmon diseases.

Absolutely… I have and will continue to support both verbally and financially Alex’s efforts. I am a 110% believer that fish farms are contributing to the decline in our salmon.

You bet it would!!

And i would fully support it, if you could show me a latteral move by the FN and the COMMIES. Reduce your pieces taken in ALL fisheries (gill, siene and troll) by 66% like you are asking us and im game.

Lorne

Ok Lorne I can see you have a fair bit of misinformation. As this thread is about chinook here ya go.

1) Seines have not been able to touch a spring for over 10 years. Offloads are monitored fish are sorted and areas are closed to reduce impact.
2) the troll fleet has been down sized by well over 66% and there is a $30,000,000 US dollar buy out going on as we speak. Also, and I am sure charlie will correct the numbers, the rec fishery doubled if not trippled the troll catch last year.
3) gillnet I have no numbers of but I know there effort has been reduced to almost nothing. I think they got 48hrs last year in the river.

FN ...... Dfo has spent $200,000,000 dollars of taxpayers money on a program called picfi. They buy and have bought out all types of commercial licenses on this coast. Herring, halibut, salmon, prawn,blackcod... you name it. That is the salmon that was suppose to be used to offset the in river fisheries. The problem, obvious, no one is counting what is being taken. The fish is worth a fortune and the FN will kill every last one if given the opportunity.

As you or I probably would if given the same opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well fish4 I do not mind losing part of my limit of chinook or other salmon, as I have never caught my limit and do not care if I ever do. The minute somebody decides to close the season I am going to start yapping in every ear I can bend and raise a big stink.

Ok Lorne I can see you have a fair bit of misinformation. As this thread is about chinook here ya go.

the thread is about salmon. Not just springs.

What kind of chinnook commercial fishery do they have in the Alberni inlet every year? You know the one where they took twice as many as they were supposed to in the first opening?

Lorne

the thread is about salmon. Not just springs.

What kind of chinnook commercial fishery do they have in the Alberni inlet every year? You know the one where they took twice as many as they were supposed to in the first opening?

Lorne

Exactly. Now let's see if we can dig up that picture from a couple of years ago (not 10) that's floating around on here...........

Last edited by a moderator:
not only that but also seen them pulling in nets with the huge springs as bycatch when there going for socks. Not fair to fish, commies should not be aloud in the inlet.

Back