He wasn't there Brian. Dave and I saw him coming in
around the golf course. Spies spies everywhere
g*ddamnit!

I was out late last week sept 2-3 for the late afternoon tide
changes when the currents wernt so strong on the eastern
side of the bank trolling for springs. Had a 6 pound
shaker lost a screamer and 4 other big pin poppers, not
much of a report but there it is.:D

Fished The gap and the flats today. Lots of seals around. Picked up my first accidental hali!! Little chicken 24lbs. Anchovy tight on the bottom, purple haze flasher and purple haze cheater. The line broke as we got it in the boat. Had a great dinner tonight with family and friends. Where's the salmon??

Slack-tider

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Where's the salmon??

My guess is we'll be waiting till end of November for
winter springs to show up.
if you travel west to race rocks and beyond you could get into some Coho.
My guess is, that some of my late Pugest Sound salmon should be swiming through there about any time? I'd be watching for them! Remember those nice warm waters you were talking about this past summer? That be those nice El Nino conditions we had this past summer, which pushed them farther out (Swiftsure) and farther north than normal! They be three weeks late as we speak! :D

Hope you're right Charlie, we put in a 4 hour shift in the usual places ..... Nada ! not even a bite.
it's a bit early for winters to show here yet.

quote:Shaking a little bit, i take aim and shove the harpoon right into
the backbone behind the head, Bad shot tried to shove it through , no luck.
Scott thats why I have always said to all on here poon them right into there guts it will never fall out and goes right thru with ease I personally too have learnt the hard way and truely know how you feel never lost one but damn close to it, and im sure you will too. its a shame if it dies without being consumed.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Yup, this one was simply a miss aimed
shot. That 1st "real big fish" to the boat rattled my nerves
and I shot a few inches too close to the head.

Charlie is looking for his missing summer spawners not the winter feeders. Most of the spawners whether from the Fraser or Puget Sound hit Race Rocks then bounce over to the US side with the currents. Only a handful pass close to the waterfront.

Several years ago I took an older friends out halibut fishing, although he had his own boat and had tried to catch halibut many many times on his own he was having no luck at all. So we went to one of my favorite spots and dropped the anchor and just as the tide started to turn my rod starts to sizzle. After almost 10 min. of cranking there was a very nice 5 foot halibut beside the boat in perfectly flat calm water. By this time my older friend had the harpoon ready but because of his excitement when he went to harpoon the fish he missed it entirely which of course scared the fish and made it swim back down to the bottom 200 feet below. I looked at my friend and asked him how he could have missed something so big to which he had no real reply. Jokingly I told him that he was fired as our harpooner and handed him the rod and told him he could get it up again while I relaxed in the beautiful sunshine and had a beverage and continued to razz him the whole time. After another 10 min. or so he had the fish back on the surface and I proceeded to harpoon it through the gut bag always go for the gut bag. Whenever we see each other I always tease him about that day and we both have a good laugh because he's a good sport and although he's come up with a million excuses about how and why he missed that fish I know it was simply because he was so excited.:D

Amazing killer whale show today on the oak bay flats. They came around
trial island and right down onto the flats in about 70 feet of
water must've been close to 30 animals. With all the tails slapping
spy hopping and breaching I thought hopefully they were driving in a
school of salmon but as it turns out it was just a mating frenzy. As
I sat in the back of the boat watching the main group off to my
starboard all of a sudden a huge male breached just behind the port
transom about 30 feet away and I thought oh boy here we go I'm going
to be the first know Orcas casualty when he does that again and
comes down on the boat with every whale watching boat in the world
taking pictures. As it turned out it was a huge male courting a fully
grown female less than 30 feet from the boat with several breaches and
upside down rolls. Best whale show I have ever had but a little bit
too close for comfort!
And as for the fishing not even a strike.:D

ok hali guys, myself and a few others were wanting to hali fish tuesday. The current slack is at noon but with fairly strong currents on either side - would you say it is worth trying or is it too much? We were going to head out of cattle point but last time I tried oak bay on what I thought were borderline fishable tides we couldn't even get our gear to the bottom - that was off the flats-ish. Would it be better out further into the strait or more north or somewhere off constance or??

thanks

ok hali guys, myself and a few others were wanting to hali fish tuesday. The current slack is at noon but with fairly strong currents on either side - would you say it is worth trying or is it too much? We were going to head out of cattle point but last time I tried oak bay on what I thought were borderline fishable tides we couldn't even get our gear to the bottom - that was off the flats-ish. Would it be better out further into the strait or more north or somewhere off constance or??

thanks

Jeff look what day you did go and see what it was doing... if its close to the same well if I was a betting man .....

Oak bay is good on an ebb if you find a spot blocked by the ilads in there sometimes moving a 100 yds makes a big difference.

Or you could launch out of flemming and go to albert head look for JIMBOB LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Jeff look what day you did go and see what it was doing... if its close to the same well if I was a betting man .....

Oak bay is good on an ebb if you find a spot blocked by the ilads in there sometimes moving a 100 yds makes a big difference.

Or you could launch out of flemming and go to albert head look for JIMBOB LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back