Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Clover Point Anglers' Association held their 16th Annual Salmon Derby this past Saturday and Sunday. Fishing was not great. Two springs and a sockeye were caught Saturday and today only one spring and one sockeye. It was pretty tough fishing this morning in a 12 foot tinny and I wouldn't want to be out in much rougher water. The derby was won by Lance Foreman with a 22 lb spring. Tom Vaida was second with a 9 lb 9 oz spring and Jim Hale was third with an 8 lb spring. One of our anglers, Greg Kutyn picked up a 15 lb 14 oz halibut while trolling near Brotchie Ledge. In spite of the slow fishing, everyone had a good time and our generous sponors ensured that everyone got a prize.

out with the hali slayer the lad got his 1st ever 40lbs then a 25 and i a 30 to finish off the limit treated to a humpback show(mom&youngster) to round off a spectacular day! thanks again R.h & to coaster for picking the spot

"Big wave Dave" called it wrong today at 5 knots.
we surfed back in to Oakbay on 5-6 footers with white on top [:0]
My knuckles are still white.
one chicken about 25 lbs today :)

Managed to get a halibut today. 1st one ever! Learned a few things today too. It hits and I start the battle. Wifey reels up her rod then jumps on the downrigger, which had a chum bucket on it. I realize that my line is hooked around the cable and this fish is going nuts. She gets the ball up and gets the line free. I hand her the rod and get ready to gaff it. It sees the boat and freaks! Serious head shakes outta the water, then it takes a long run. Had no idea these fish fight like this. So, the lady reels it back to the boat, I gaff it and as I'm pulling it up into the boat, the gaff hook breaks off, back in the water it goes. Fighting for it's life. So now I'm scrabbling to figure out what to do. I grab the knife and fish bonker and as it gets close again, I stab it about 10 times in the gills, doesn't seem to effect him though. I start wacking him between the eyes, and that seems to stun him. I grab my big salmon net and was able to get about half of this guy in the net. He is trying to get out and I wrestle him to get in the boat. He flops into the boat and I pull my lady back and let him do his thing for about a minute. I start wacking him again and a few more slices to his gills. We decide that was enough adventure for us, and seeing as how the wind has picked up quite a bite, and we are bobbing around in some rolling seas, we organize the gear (including a bent net and broken gaff) and make our way back to Esquimalt. 10 minutes into the rough ride home, this thing decides it isn't done yet. Starts flip floppin about and even with more wacks, it was still messing things up good.
Anyways, fun and adrenaline filled fishery for sure. Will do it again but with a better gaff, and some rubbing alcohol to drunk up the next hali. Hope to put the next one to sleep with a smile on his face.
Here is a couple pics.
dsc1127u.jpg

dsc1129ki.jpg

Nice work Dave, Did you get her out of bed today? I am sure I will get the full scoop at work tomorrow. Harpoon on your Christmas list???

Hey Dave, for your own safety - hog-tie those things before you bring then into your boat. Seriously, quite a few boats have gone down from mad halis! Tie a rope through mouth and gills and tie around the tail and pull tight until the fish looks like a sushi roll. Congrats anyway - great story!

How do you get a rope around a tail of an angry halibut? That seems kinda dangerous as well. Any pointers are much appreciated.

boats gone down from mad haly and many haha like to see that.harpoon or sharkhook hang on side of boat cut gills once bled out bring in and hog tie.

If you are in a 10 ft nailed together wooden rowboat, you may have a problem. I have yarded in many a big halibut, and subdued them (And sometimes my excited guests) with no problem. I figure if you are going to play with your food, wait untill you get it home. A big hali usually saves you the trouble of bleeding it out when it rips a big wound around whatever gaff you have in the side of it. A harpoon will do the same thing. When you use a shark hook, they leave a big messy hole in the side.

I had a 90 pounder that I was sitting on, my knife was no where to be found, my bonker was out of reach, so I punched it twice above the eyes as hard as I could. It didn't do much after that. And I've dealt with plenty of other big ones by bonking, stomping, kicking and don't forget to cut across the tail and break the back bone there, it will bleed out niceley and seems to stun MOST of them.

The days of halibut "sinking" boats are from when you have a wood boat made out of planks and nails that a little girl could kick apart.

Anyone wanna watch how to kill big hali's should watch myself, Wolf and Banannas this coming spring :D

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I had a 90 pounder that I was sitting on, my knife was no where to be found, my bonker was out of reach, so I punched it twice above the eyes as hard as I could. It didn't do much after that. And I've dealt with plenty of other big ones by bonking, stomping, kicking and don't forget to cut across the tail and break the back bone there, it will bleed out niceley and seems to stun MOST of them.

The days of halibut "sinking" boats are from when you have a wood boat made out of planks and nails that a little girl could kick apart.

Anyone wanna watch how to kill big hali's should watch myself, Wolf and Banannas this coming spring :D

I was pretty confident this fish was not gonna sink the boat, especially after the bonks to the head and a dozen or so stabs to the gill plate.

I would love to see you punch, kick, stomp, beat, elbow and whatever you feel like doing to take down your next hali. I recon you post a video on youtube and the hits will keep rolling in. All in the name of education right! ;)

kelly i have seen those big mitts of yours clipping little coho, and i think if you punched a grizzly twice hard in the head it would be stunned
i used to think i had big hands till i seen wolfy and then met you, i can see you now on top of a hali, no need to hog tie him, lol

quote:Originally posted by Dave S

How do you get a rope around a tail of an angry halibut? That seems kinda dangerous as well. Any pointers are much appreciated.

Make your self a couple of hogtie's , you need 5' of 3/8" rope
one end has a loop the other end cut off a 12" piece of coat hanger wire and tape it to the rope.
feed the wire end through the gills and it will come out the mouth
then pass it through the loop on the other end.
couple of wraps around the tail and halibut is hogtied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back