Victoria reports - spring/summer 09

I like the downrigger story. A few years ago I was longlining, and we hauled up the transom of a small sport boat with a pair of men's underpants tangled on it. I'm still not sure whether this is funny or not.

Todays catch from the flats. Anchovie on a 6' leader behind
a gold peacock flasher. Lost 2 other good ones

tim.jpg

feed the seals two at brody rock today saw one 25 the other came off the clip and the sealwas already on it im sure****** seals!
went to the gap after and 30 seals over that way so i came home

got sealed once and lost one at the boat on the flats. Still looking for the exact lat/long of that wreck.

Was out Saturday on the flats, no salmon, but i hooked into a massive (150+ lb) halibut. Played it for about 1 hour 20 mins on salmon gear before the line snapped.

Went out the next day (sunday july 5th) to the waterfront, fished from the esquimalt anglers ramp to ross bay/clover point.
Came up with one spring barely retention size...125ft on a coyote spoon.

It's been pretty slow out there recently..

Hey Ugly ~ welcome to the forum! ;) That's a pretty crazy experience ~ very rare to land those really big ones on light gear. I was out on the waterfront for a while saturday afternoon and landed a 50lb butt (on hali gear!). They are definately out there...if you can weed thru the doggies.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

got sealed once and lost one at the boat on the flats. Still looking for the exact lat/long of that wreck.
Hey Beemer, Buddy and I were drifting for hali there last week and both got hooked up and lost our gear right around that spot. It seemed to me that we were just a little North East of the spot you marked. My gps indicated that we were closer to the bend of that 33M troff that you put your mark in. I can get a lat/long next time I'm out.

Here is the lat/long of the wreck.The position on the chart that The Rock and Craven put together is pretty accurate. This is the position that I have. 133 feet of water SE of Brodie Rock
48 24.144N
123 16.638W

Could be other stuff down there or the wreck could have shifted. I was out this morning and got sealed again on the flats with a big one. Managed to get a 10 in the boat.

hey beemer,
im heading out thursday morning with a friend from out of town,
what you catching them on?

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Here is the lat/long of the wreck.The position on the chart that The Rock and Craven put together is pretty accurate. This is the position that I have. 133 feet of water SE of Brodie Rock
48 24.144N
123 16.638W

Could be other stuff down there or the wreck could have shifted. I was out this morning and got sealed again on the flats with a big one. Managed to get a 10 in the boat.

Hey Baz , you name it. I like green and silver coyote with a 6' leader. Green flasher. Copcar spoons have been working , green squirts and of course bait. Good Luck!!!

Very slow for us today, trolled the Flats and the gap from 8:00 am
to 12:00 noon , not a sniff...
The jigger's seemed to do better than troller's today with a few
fish up to 20lbs.

Hit Constance Bank this morning and spent the first 40 minutes wacking dogfish, two to a line. The little buggers were THICK out there to say the least. Quickly decided to abort hali fishing and debated weather to hit Oak bay or Sooke for salmon. Started heading towards Whirl Bay but heard a report from Oak Bay that somebody had just landed a 15lb'r so we turned around and hit the flats. There were probably a dozen boats there so we threw the gear down and trolled down the Brodie tack. About 25minutes later I heard line screaming off one of the reels and assumed it was my buddy dropping his gear but when I looked over my shoulder it was my deep line off the clip, bent sideways and losing line fast! [:0]I grabbed the rod and slowed him down and quickly realized it was a hali. [:p] It quit running and just sulked on the bottom. Typical butt. Anyway we managed to haul him up and never did get any salmon. Heard of a couple others caught but never saw anyone get any. Heard reports that Secretary was loaded with coho and pinks.

IMG_8016.jpg

JESUS Cory whats with the gray goatee??? LOL LOL and your a young guy!!!!LOL LOL
Nice halibut

Wolf

Yeah well it wasn't grey when I started fishing this morning but after reeling up all those f&^k%g$ doggies.......

Back