Victoria reports - spring/summer 09

Iam doing the evening bite either at Ogden or Pedder tomorrow, if the winds low, will report.

Hey Poppa swiss , all quiet over here as well. The odd spring coming in from the flats and Ogden ,but not much more.

There are still needlefish and small herring on the flats.
lots of ballup's on the surface....
with all the feed there should be some fish, yet it seems slow.

[?]

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

There are still needlefish and small herring on the flats.
lots of ballup's on the surface....
with all the feed there should be some fish, yet it seems slow.

[?]

Its the same around the corner here..(Island view beach/Saanichton spit)
Tons of bait....no fish!

Hit the wall on Mon night and picked up a 20lber. Man was it fun. Been long time waiting for that hook up. Large Anchovie in purple haze teaser at 60ft. tonnes of bait around.

The last few weeks I have been going to trap shack and otter with no springs of size to show for 3 days in total of fishing. Very slow July this year.

o ya dont forget the sun screen like i did

Nice work! I was there Monday, too - not a sniff. I will agree with everyone else - tonnes of bait.

Really slow today. I did not see a single fish caught. I did have one strike, and at that, I felt like a hero! Also, the currents never really set up to bring fresh fish along the waterfront.

Got out for a quick fish on the flats last night and hit a 20lb
spring on a green/pearl squirt.
there were over 40 fresh needle fish in the stomach.

20lbspringjuly26.jpg

lots of needlefish holding, springs seem to come through in waves.
last week there was some smaller fish up to 12lbs.
hope the big boy's come through next !

Got out this morning for a couple of hours. Not a sniff, however, very cool we saw a Minky Whale right off the Chain Islands in Oak Bay. I've seen Orcas here before, but not one of these guys. At one point it came within about 100' of the boat and we got a great look at it. They don't surface for long so we got one photo which I will try to post here later if it turned out good enough.

TenMile
<'((((><

Here's the picture...pretty hard to see it.
IMG00559.jpg

nice photo! not many people have this opportunity to see this minky whale. You are lucky to see this whale which is rare. Good on you! I have heard a cruise ship has rammed another minky whale with its front bow and the whale died a week ago. Anyways, nice photo!

quote:Originally posted by fishspoon

nice photo! not many people have this opportunity to see this minky whale. You are lucky to see this whale which is rare. Good on you! I have heard a cruise ship has rammed another minky whale with its front bow and the whale died a week ago. Anyways, nice photo!

Do you mean the Fin Whale that was dragged/pushed into Vancouver Cruise Ship terminal recently?

Minke whales are not all that rare as far as populations go....seeing them is a bit different; I have had the chance to see a few of them in my days, but I have NOT seen a Fin Whale which are quite endangered.

I saw a Minke the last time I fished Oak Bay in early July. it same from Brodie to discovery while I was there, surfacing regularly. I've also seen them right along the Victroia Breakwater when the needlefish were thick.

You guys are in the wrong pond, should be under Oak Bay!. Victoria report generaly should be esquimalt to Trial and beyond out to constance. Anyways the Breakwater should be good any day now.

Back