Victoria reports - spring/summer 09

Watch out when fishing deep southwest corner of the flats, just east of Brody rock.
there's something submerged there that's taken 3 cannon balls in the last week.
no warning , just happily trolling along and bang ! Break off.

hey Scott , It is a liveabord fishing boat that had a fire and sank while being towed about 6 years ago. I know where it is and I still lose balls there!!!

Can you post a gps coordinate of the hazard? I can plot it on a chart and post a picture of it here.. so every one can see exactly where it is on a chart... great info !

quote:Originally posted by beemer

hey Scott , It is a liveabord fishing boat that had a fire and sank while being towed about 6 years ago. I know where it is and I still lose balls there!!!

I just e-mailed ya, lets post a pic of a chart showing the hazard..

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Watch out when fishing deep southwest corner of the flats, just east of Brody rock.
there's something submerged there that's taken 3 cannon balls in the last week.
no warning , just happily trolling along and bang ! Break off.

Thanks Brian, i know the approx area now, but it would sure be
nice to get a pinpoint on this junk as it's going to continue
to cause us grief [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Thanks Brian, i know the approx area now, but it would sure be
nice to get a pinpoint on this junk as it's going to continue
to cause us grief [xx(]

I chatted with Beemer, he's out fishing today and he's going to get me a gps coordinate of the spot and I will post a chart pic of the hazard.

Snag-Hazard.jpg

I was trolling by there today and after I went by that spot I pulled up my lines to check the bait. The leader was broken off about 1 feet down from the swivel. I must have hooked onto something there and that was it.

Tom

Hey guys that is definately the spot. I could not get out yesterday to get an exact lat/long as I was called in to work. I work on the water(yes,I am one of those AAAholes in the yellow boats!!) so if you see me in the vicinity of Brodie today "looking for whales";)
Its me trying to get a fix.

About 6 or 7 years ago Oak Bay Sea Rescue was towing a 36 'livebord that had a fire and it took on water and sank right around Brodie. it had a boom and rigging .Pretty sure that is what it is. never know though could be something new.

Of interest a diver friend of mine was diving on Brodie about ten years ago looking for cannon balls and he found a ball attached to a manual downrigger attached to a 4' section of the side of wooden boat!!!

Any fish out there yesterday?????????

I got an 18 lb 1 oz red spring and missed two other strikes. Only saw one other fish caught. There was a Minke whale in the area part of the time too.

Back