Victoria reports - spring/summer 09

So many trailers at Esq Anglers this morning I thought there was a derby on. They were even parked out on the street.

... and it tasted great on the BBQ tonight ![:p]
IMG_1595.jpg

Originally posted by yammy5

Hit Constance Bank this morning and spent the first 40 minutes wacking dogfish, two to a line. The little buggers were THICK out there to say the least. Quickly decided to abort hali fishing and debated weather to hit Oak bay or Sooke for salmon. Started heading towards Whirl Bay but heard a report from Oak Bay that somebody had just landed a 15lb'r so we turned around and hit the flats. There were probably a dozen boats there so we threw the gear down and trolled down the Brodie tack. About 25minutes later I heard line screaming off one of the reels and assumed it was my buddy dropping his gear but when I looked over my shoulder it was my deep line off the clip, bent sideways and losing line fast! [:0]I grabbed the rod and slowed him down and quickly realized it was a hali. [:p] It quit running and just sulked on the bottom. Typical butt. Anyway we managed to haul him up and never did get any salmon. Heard of a couple others caught but never saw anyone get any. Heard reports that Secretary was loaded with coho and pinks.

Yammy. Think we heard and watched you out on the flats. After hearing the reel peeling off we figured you had a nice spring but watched you gaf a hali. Nice Job and fish.

We started out on the flats(5:30am) seen a couple boated and a couple lost. Moved to the water front (10am). Slow in both places but managed a 15 lb, 74feet on downrigger, in 80ft of water. Purple haze flasher, and coyote cop car.

First post on here

Draggin' Bait

Hey, welcome Twisted and appreciate the detailed report! You answered three of my questions regarding hardware, location and depth, so thanks! :) Previously I've moored in Sooke with The Rock but for the first time we moored in West Bay so we're constantly looking for tips on fishing the waterfront. Halibut have been great this spring but we just need to nail down a system for springs...

I know it's a little slower on the Flats, but are needle fish still the dominant bait in the area? Also, anything from the breakwater lately? Thanks.

hey steelhead. Still lots of needlefish on the flats , but the fish have slowed. I saw several fish come in on the weekend from the flagpole to the breakwater. Not hot , but not bad.

I am going to give it a try tommorow morning. Nice slow tide. Tempted to try Hali if the wind is down.

Hey beemer et al,

Did you get out there yesterday? How was it?

I'm thinking of hitting up the waterfront or the flats tomorrow am. I'm moored in West Bay so Sooke can be a long haul.

Would appreciate any tips.

Cheers.

nada. One soft strike in fie hours. The waterfront is the only hope right now close to town.

I was out sunday , Hit the breakwater, in tight real early , first ones out

Had a good one on right away ,,, broke me off .Felt like the biggest fish this year....ill never know

nothing the rest of the day .. a few others out , no nets out

windy as heck

tubbed

Out off Oak Bay last night fishing the entrance to the Gap. One large line peeler that spit the hook of a 4" Cop Car Coyote spoon. Probably about 20 cod including 2 large ones that I initially thought were salmon as they popped the rod off the rigger and were peeling out line for a moment.

Lots of bait balls rolling around with all sorts of ducks and birds all over the place. Very fishy, just no salmon.

TenMile
<'((((><

Fished the flats this a.m for a couple hours
no salmon, although there's still tons of bait.
we picked up a 20lb halibut, gut's were stuffed with needlefish.

Fished the waterfront this morning. Got one nice spring at 10:00am about 400 feet off the breakwater. Green/white coyote, 60 ft down.

Quite a few boats out there, but didn't see much action.

Fished Oakbay again this am, one rod in the water purple haze/anchovie...
just dropped second set of gear, and number one rod popped and fish on.
I got to play it for about a minute before Mr.seal grabbed it, saw a quick glimpse of a nice silver side and big tail before it got ripped
off the hook. :(

Did anyone get out to the waterfront or the flats this weekend? Thinking of hitting up one of those areas tonight, but wondering if it's worth it.

Cheers

Did anyone get out to the waterfront or the flats this weekend? Thinking of hitting up one of those areas tonight, but wondering if it's worth it.

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by tightjer

Cheers

13 lb spring on green/pearl squirt from the
flats sunday morning, it's been slow.

Thanks R.S.

Do you know which has been better: flats or waterfront?

Thx

Back