Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Slow go out of Pedder yesterday. That being said, I long line released an absolute tank on the tide change yesterday. Bounced the bottom with chovey, ran into the swirl of weeds and bang!
Any day now.....

Picked up two chicken hali yesterday on a quick fish. The first was about 15 a little ping pong paddle the second much nicer around 30.

My dad has pics of the actual fish not sure why I didn't take any but I did snap a shot of the cleaning table when I was done with them.

IMG_0696.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I picked up a small Hali at border bank just before 10. The went to Constance to troll for salmon and picked up another Hali on the salmon gear right away. Too bad I lost it while trying to gaff it. If I used the net we would have come home with two good eaters.

Bird Dog

Me and a friend went out with Trevor of No Bananas today. First we dropped lines for halibut. It was slow to start but once the tide changed, we got our halibut. The first was a nice 58lb slab that put up a really good fight. Right after it was harpooned, the leader broke. Phew, that would have been tragic. After getting 2 chickens, we switched over to the salmon gear. Got a small hatch early but released it. We had good action for the next while, but it wasn't red hot. Just before we called it, my side hit and it didn't feel like a salmon. Got it up and it ended up being a hali. Released it and headed back to the docks. Great day out there. Glassy, some glimpses of sun, and good times. Learned some things too!

More photos here.......
https://picasaweb.google.com/113305236572191447313/20120530?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzp4qz3tsa50gE#

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

Very nice Dave... great pics...

Bananers.... How you liking the close to home fishin?

Lippy, I love it!! It doesn't hurt that the fishing has been pretty epic all spring!!!
I'm Reny bound next week, the first couple runs to Swiftsure are going to be tuff after a 4-7 mile run around here.

Deadsville on this thread. I can't believe it. In past years this thing was lit up this time of year. No fish, regs, what is it???

Deadsville on this thread. I can't believe it. In past years this thing was lit up this time of year. No fish, regs, what is it???

I have a feeling it's the reg's that has quieted down this thread. Sooke thread seems quiet too. It's a shame.

It's been a little slower than usual this year but I think there's another problem.
I believe some people are hesitant to post too much success as there are forum members
who jump all over them and criticize.

Example's:

" wonder how much fish he has in his freezer ?"
" that fish was too big, should have been released so it could spawn"
" too bad he keeps all those small fish ?"

This is unfortunate as it discourages the success stories which most appreciate seeing here.

You said it Craven.. I am by Cattle point everyday and see at least 4-5 trailors daily. Then there are boats coming from Oak bay marina, yacht club and Flemings. So plenty of people fishing, but not much reporting. Bottom line is there are alot of BEEKS on this forum.

Fellas I am pretty new to this but it has been quiet. I don't get out on the water to much other than maybe once every couple weeks. I live vicariously through ur stories and tips so please keep it up. To add to the stories a bit, I did get out last weekend with a buddy and did manage 2 nice eating halis... 40 and 30 off Albert head... Large strips of tuna was the ticket..

What do you guys think of the tides Saturday morning to launch at Equimalt Anglers? Looks a little low at 1.5 ft at 0700

I doubt you would have any problem at Esquimalt , it will be fairly low
but with the nice concrete ramps and docks you shoudn't have a problem.

Could be they're keeping their cards close to their chests ;)

Dead quiet off Oak bay this morning, saw one landed for about 10 boats fishing...:(
hope somebody had better luck ?

Back