Victoria Reports - Fall/Winter 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope LC haven't heard any hot reports from my buds who fish conny or brotchie only the seals are pesky as usuall but rumor has it the Sooke bluffs are hot... Sammy

The seals are getting worse. The other day I noticed that they have adopted a new tactic which is really annoying. Instead of following my boat on the surface (and waiting for a fish to surface before they grab it) they are now following the flasher itself down quite deep. I know this because I had two fish on which were grapped by seals within two seconds of being hooked. In both instances my lines were down over 150 feet. The only good news is that I got my gear back both times but now fish...just 2 heads!

Has anyone else noticed this? Apparently they can stay under water for 15 minutes before re-surfacing for a breath.

jimbob

The seals are getting worse. The other day I noticed that they have adopted a new tactic which is really annoying. Instead of following my boat on the surface (and waiting for a fish to surface before they grab it) they are now following the flasher itself down quite deep. I know this because I had two fish on which were grapped by seals within two seconds of being hooked. In both instances my lines were down over 150 feet. The only good news is that I got my gear back both times but now fish...just 2 heads!

Has anyone else noticed this? Apparently they can stay under water for 15 minutes before re-surfacing for a breath.

jimbob

Yep, the majority of times i lose fish to a seal, i never see it first.
they follow the gear around just far enough back that when a fish grabs
your lure, it only takes a couple of seconds for them to get on it.

Some areas are worse than others, and the water front is bad in the winter.
not so much in the summer ? :confused:

Ya Jim! We donated 6 springs to the seal meal plan the other day in exactly the same manner. FRUSTRATING to say the least! I couldn't believe that they were hitting our fish at 180ft! Flag pole to Clover seemed to be the worst but ironically enough, that's where the fish were too. I'm not gonna bother anymore. 1 less fish I hook is 1 less seal fed it seems. Yo mamma has it right! I've yet to lose a trout to a seal in elk lake! lol

Addicted seal attacks @ the lake !but it sure is a Hoot watching the float tubers lake flyfishing @ Langford Lake lose the trout to the Eagles!LMAO

What a coincidence jimBob , I am starting a publicly funded study on the impact of fisherman on seals on the Victoria waterfront!!!

Cmon Scott you going to let that stop you??? LOL only kidding thats way too rough was down in esq today WOW there had to been 8 to 10 fters out there.I dont like that stuff..
hope you have a good x-mas.

Wolf

Just looked it was doing 55 kts at trial tonight.. crazy!!!

Wolf

Cmon Scott you going to let that stop you??? LOL only kidding thats way too rough was down in esq today WOW there had to been 8 to 10 fters out there.I dont like that stuff..
hope you have a good x-mas.

Wolf

yep pretty ugly out there lately, might even be a challenge in your boat Roy !

Merry Christmas :)

No way man too rough for me but know of some guys who will go out in that stuff. anything past 25 I really dont like and im used to it. I always use the motto if its rough for me who been on a boat all the time i know its too rough for clients cause they are not used to moving or walking on a boat. I know its not enjoyable for them. thats not my goal.

wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back