Victoria Reports - Fall/Winter 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a few winter's off Victoria waterfront, I put 9, 7 & 6lb fish in the smoker yesterday.
they are deep 140-170' right off the bottom.
the usual glow gear seems to be working.

Got out to the harbour mouth this morning. 1 winter at 140' on the rigger in about 160' of water caught on little green "coho killer". They're out there. Check your lines often - we dragged a number of little guys.

Slow off the waterfront today, one missed and another decent size fish lost to a seal...
First theft of the winter season. :(
Got the gear back though, so could have been worse. ;)

That's why I moved the boat to sooke R.S I swear they used to fallow me out of the harbour after getting a free fill of herring from the touristas @ fishermans warf bloddy cute .The vermin seemed to wait till you got a slab on the line before filling there faces even a wrist rocket didn't seem to deter em not that i would ever resort to that. regards Sammy

Seems if there's lot's of boats, you can get away from them by leaving the pack..
but if you're out there alone or only a few boats, watch out !! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey RS - I saw you loose that fish to the seal at CLover. Crappers that was one big seal. I was in the striper with the top down waved at each other. I got lucky and managed to hook and land one while you were feeding the seal. Decent winter spring about 12 lbs. I actuallly thought it was a seal at start did a huge run. Jelly fish squirt at 140ft worked for me. ALso did a clean release on one about 4-5 lbs. The weather got pretty ugly after you split.

Well it was friggin' cold out there today, but there were some fish around...
Put 3 in the tub 8-9 lbs, and lost a better one to a seal who ended up getting
hooked himself.
He must have let go of the fish and ended up with one or both hooks in his flipper.
Needless to say we eventually broke him off and lost the gear...:(

8 crabs to finish off the day !

Nice one Scott! I will be finished my new hardtop this week so hopefully I will be out next week. Did you see the sailboat aground on Carolina Reef? I put in a long night on that one, no joy. cement does not float!

That tank is not going anywhere. it is all broken up on the starbord side. Gonna be there for a while. I am trying to get the owner to take off the mast and rigging so its not another gear ripper when she slips into deeper water. oh well.

I heard the resident killer whales were feeding heavily on chinook from Constance to Albert head on Sunday. Gotta get out there!

Hey everyone,
has anyone been out lately thinking might head out tomorrow to the water front or even might head out to constance

Waterfront was decent today 4 Springs in the tub up to 11lbs , released 1 and lost 1 .
Nice day and some nice hard shell dungies as well :D

Level wind works just fine :p

My first time out this yr will be sunday. Any tips on what was working, where, depth? Taking son out and would like him to catch a couple.
Appreciated, Cheers!!

My first time out this yr will be sunday. Any tips on what was working, where, depth? Taking son out and would like him to catch a couple.
Appreciated, Cheers!!

Try fishing glow squirts on a 32" leader behind a glow/green/chartreuse flasher
in 140-180' of water and keep your gear on the bottom.
There isn't a lot of bait around right now, however if you can find it on your sounder stick close by as the fish won't be far away.

Didn't see you out there Scott -- we fished the flats and were on our own for the afternoon -- we were out there from noon until about 3. 6 springs hooked -- kept 3, released 1, and 2 released themselves. Also picked up a very large lingcod.

Didn't see you out there Scott -- we fished the flats and were on our own for the afternoon -- we were out there from noon until about 3. 6 springs hooked -- kept 3, released 1, and 2 released themselves. Also picked up a very large lingcod.

We were west of Trial, hooked 9 fish including 2 double headers.
2 around 10lbs , 2 around 7 lbs in the tub.
smoker's going in the rain :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back