Victoria Reports - Fall/Winter 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
craven i thought you were an oak bay man? there seem to be a few in there recently, we got a 56 today, probably our last of the season, but I said that yesterday so we'll see I guess. man alive alot of dogs though!

craven i thought you were an oak bay man?

Yep, i launch from cattle point.
we have been running out to Constance when the weather permits...
No dogs out there, but ratfish chewed up our bait.
Are you in the 180' off the east corner of the flats ?

What a great week with all the clear sky's and light winds...
We managed 3 Hali trips off Victoria over the week and
caught 72,60,35,26 & 23 lb fish.

Oct162010Halibut004.jpg

Oct162010Halibut002.jpg

hey scott do you have a scale at your house. or a measurement chart i've been looking for a measurement sheet but cant find one

well we went for one final outing yesterday and got nothing but dogfish. o well can't complain its been a good final week and the weather was perfect.

pm'd you scott - nice meeting you there at cattle eh

Fished Constance Saturday.Gorgeous day!! Two doggies, two frickn huge Octopus shacken off at the boat because im scared of them and one 65lb hali. There was a two inch area of meat around the gut area that had little worms in it, the rest of the slabs looked fine. Is this common? I cut the section out but is the rest of the fish ok to eat?
Great closing day for us. Boats coming out of the water this week.

Most Hali's have some worms around the gut. The fish is fine-just never tell the wife about it or you will get no peace-or fish either!!!

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Haven't been out much since the summer but got a chance to get out in the boat for a quick jaunt Sunday late afternoon. Went out to try the Middle Bank area. Hooked up but lost a nice Chinook right on bottom at about 150'.

Just as I was pulling up my gear, I noticed a number of large salmon finning about 2-300' off the boat and figure these must be Coho. Tried to target them for about 15 minutes, but didn't want to get caught out in the dark in the shipping lane so had to head back in around 5pm. On my run back in to Cadboro Bay, I saw tons of fish finning at the surface all the way back in. Might try to kick out of work early one afternoon this week if the weather stays calm and see if these are Coho still hanging around...

TenMile
<'((((><

Those finning fish were most likly chum. Have been seeing lots of them in Sooke. They sure dont seem to want to eat anything right now either.

-Steve

Could have been Chum -- thought of that, but I've never seen them around here before. Weren't jumping -- saw their backs coming out of the water in large schools. They seemed to be very shy of the boat and I'd only see them from a distance. I find that if Coho are active, they will surface all around the boat.

Never tried targeting Chum before -- any recommended go-to trial spoon/hoochie/whatever?

TenMile
<'((((><

Hey Scott , they might be chums. A friend of mine nailed a 13lb chum off race on the weekend. I was down near Port Townsend on Friday and the chum fishery is in full swing and they were thick!

My feeling is some of the water temperture patterns have changed in the Juan de Fuca in the past year and some of the traditional salmon and feed patterns have consequently changed as well.

beemer

Well i learned something then...
I know they get a few every year west of Race rocks,
Just never seen them in east Juan de Fuca. :D

More than likely they will be chum! few bunches off Darcy Island and starting to show through the Sidney, Saanich inlet area as well....

All the plankton feeders jump the same way, they side flop. Sockeye, pinks and chum all do this. Springs and coho launch straight up and out, or they surface like a porpoise.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

or they surface like a porpoise.
Seen them all do it. While their jump is different I believe they all porpoise.

Some nice fish on Constance yesterday. Kept an 8 anda a 10 pound winter. 120 to 140 feet. Glow Hootchies. Did not see much bait however. I wonder when they will start to show up in numbers off the waterfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back