Victoria reports - fall/winter 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Clover to Trial yesterday. Had a few good hits , but nothing in the boat. Some fish came into the OB Marina so they are out there!

I've been boatless for almost the last month. What started out as a tuneup ended as a larger job (sigh). Hope to get out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

TenMile
<'((((><

Today was nice and calm, fished west side of Trial to Clover
we were one for two on springs, but.... we trolled up a 40lb halibut
while scraping the bottom. [8D]
200' off the downrigger in about 150' of water.
Crabbing was decent too.

hi new at this so forgive me please explain how to be 200ft on downrigger in 150 ft of water i would end up hung on the bottom. what kind of gear how fast lots to learn thanks newfie

If you're trolling at 2 or 3 mph and you're dragging a 10 or 12lb ball your line will drag back such that it requires 200' of line to reach the bottom in 150' of water. Winter springs are right on the bottom (typically). On the flats and bluffs the bottom is sand or mud so you can bounce the bottom with your cannonball without getting snagged. Coyote spoons, hootchies and chovie all work well for winter springs ~ they are very aggressive and not too picky. 'And when your draggin the bottom you have a chance for a butt!

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

What kind of gear the the butts usually take on the troll? Hootchies,Spoons?

Yesterday the halibut hit on a green squirt, but i have caught them on spoons,hootchies and bait.
as long as you're in the mud you have a shot at one.

We hit the usual spots today, Clover,Flats & the Gap with
out so much as a strike.:(
Awesome day on the water and crabbing is still good, but
no fish.
Noticed Outfitter's boats heading towards border bank
for a second shift, so maybe that's where the fish are ?

Ya RS saw 3-4 boats working Conny as well. Talk to a guy at Esquimalt the other day and they have been hitting it hard with not much to show. Where are all the winter hatchery's.

quote:Originally posted by Fins -n- Skins

Where are all the winter hatchery's.

I think back to the 20 or 30 shakers I couldn't keep off the lines last fall and wonder if that might not be part of the problem...

I was talking with some of the ol'timers (50+) at esq. anglers before I went out on Sunday. Nothing good to report. Lots of skunks. I went anyways was by myself and blowing good 10+ knots. My threshold for sure. Anyways made a tack down to clover pt back. One hit one awesome spring close to 20lbs in the boat. Was lucky as that **** of a seal showed up just after I landed it.

I have a pic but always forget how to post 'em.

It should start picking up - and I look forward to the cold stable high pressures building. I love being on the water when it is freezing and sunny.

Score is now Seals 2 and Jimbob 0. Same as a couple of days ago on the waterfront. Hooked a good fish 10+ and lost it on the surface to a seal. Also lost the flasher and hootchie for the second time in a row as well. Anyone for Seal control???

Got a call from a buddy last night, he lost 7 fish to seals
yesterday off the waterfront !! none in the boat :(

Was walking the dogs along Dallas Road and saw a big dead seal. I hope it was one of the ones that follows our boats.

Score is getting better. It is now Jimbob 1 and Seals 2. Fished the waterfront today from noon till 3:00. Mighty cold but suprisingly flat water because the wind dropped significantly after 1:30. One fish hooked and landed with several seals in view but none quick enough to scoop the fish which weighed 8 pounds. Lots and lots of bait on the sounder including one school that went from 65 feet deep down to the bottom at 180 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back