Victoria reports - fall/winter 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Web cams on bigwavedave.ca shows a few boats out there today. Great sites to see up to the minute conditions. Heading out rain or shine tomorrow at first light. Got a couple (4-5lbs)last week off of Albert Head @ 180 ft. Sounds like the bait and the fish are closer to shore these days. 130-180 ft and not in the 200ft. This is a great forum, let keep sharing the news!! Been a little slow lately.

Web cams on bigwavedave.ca shows a few boats out there today. Great sites to see up to the minute conditions. Heading out rain or shine tomorrow at first light. Got a couple (4-5lbs)last week off of Albert Head @ 180 ft. Sounds like the bait and the fish are closer to shore these days. 130-180 ft and not in the 200ft. This is a great forum, let keep sharing the news!! Been a little slow lately.

frustrating day today with several good hookups, one hook bent
one taken by a seal, a couple of undersize.
7 hits , only one fish in the tub...
crabbing is fantastic !!

tubbed 3 springs up to 10 lbs today, lost 2 and another one to
a seal...
160-180' on cloverleaf hoochies right on the bottom.
There was a good bite on between 11:00 and 12:30.
not much after that.

Quiet morning between the yellow can and the breakwater Saturday. One in the boat and lost one at the boat. A couple seals around like vultures. I'm liking the slingshot idea to scare them off.

My wife and I walked the dogs this morning on Dallas road. Sunny, calm, and not a boat to be seen from Trial Island to constance Bank to Albert Head. Must be Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone.

We had a few strikes yesterday, had one almost to the back of the boat when a seal grabbed it:(:(
One of our other buddies lost 2 and we saw another boat lose one
all to seals.
It's getting so bad, you only have a 50/50 chance of getting it in.

We had a few strikes yesterday, had one almost to the back of the boat when a seal grabbed it:(:(
One of our other buddies lost 2 and we saw another boat lose one
all to seals.
It's getting so bad, you only have a 50/50 chance of getting it in.

Hi Guys, I'm fairly new to winter spring fishing. Had a nice one on today off the flag pole. Seal got it, I could see the seal and the fish come right out of the water about 250 feet behind me. Some guy on another boat who was closer to the (seal's) fish yelled "let her go!"

Seal pulled so hard I finally cut my line and lost the flasher and spoon.:(

Any tips on landing the seal bait. Reel real fast?

Thanks
Fog

Hi Guys, I'm fairly new to winter spring fishing. Had a nice one on today off the flag pole. Seal got it, I could see the seal and the fish come right out of the water about 250 feet behind me. Some guy on another boat who was closer to the (seal's) fish yelled "let her go!"

Seal pulled so hard I finally cut my line and lost the flasher and spoon.:(

Any tips on landing the seal bait. Reel real fast?

Thanks
Fog

You won't win the battle with a seal too often..
your partner needs to drive the boat over top of the seal while you reel hard to pick up the slack.
try and stay over top of the seal and sometimes it will let go.
use a lighter leader between the flasher and lure, so at least you
get the flasher back on a break off.

Slow off the waterfront this morning, only one small one released.

You won't win the battle with a seal too often..
your partner needs to drive the boat over top of the seal while you reel hard to pick up the slack.
try and stay over top of the seal and sometimes it will let go.
use a lighter leader between the flasher and lure, so at least you
get the flasher back on a break off.

Slow off the waterfront this morning, only one small one released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back