Victoria reports - fall/winter 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today was the maiden day out with the new boat so we went around to clover chatted to jimbob and said it was dead so off we went to the bank (basically a reason to go for a cruise) LOL
all by ourself out there got 2 fish on and landed one about 10 lbs got a few lings and what I call true cods out there.

Boat ran great and with the new heater in it was nice and warm and toasty.Here is a few pics of the boat
NEWBluewolf26014.jpg

NEWBluewolf26011.jpg

And finally the crazy crew I went out with today im sure you know one of them!!!!!

NEWBluewolf26010.jpg

Definatlly a great day to be out fishing with buddies

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

A 9.9 high trust Yammy and moves it no problem.

Wolf

Wolf, notice you fabricated a S.S. mount for your rigger rather than
use a Scotty mount.
Uneven gunwhale ?
She's a beaut !

I do not recognize the Hull. Lokking for a new boat and I like the design, who's hull?

Zero, zip, nada from 745am-12p yesterday from Brotchie to McCaully. Fished green glo, cop car, purple haze, electric chair, glo hootch green stripe from 130 -160 ft of water on bottom. Only 5 other boats out there and saw 1 hook up off Brotchie. F, should have gone to Connie.....

Forgot to mention only saw 5 or 6 seals which is way down from the 30ish we were seeing weeks prior. Marked some bait but not as much as a week and a bit ago. Back out Sunday..Connie, Pedder, Whirl, Fairfax????? Bad taste in my mouth from yesterday need my fix and some #'s!!All around has it slowed down for you guys? Oh well maybe Jim Bob, Craven and Porcupine will bang'em today and re instill my faith in the Waterfront.

Jack **** for us out front yesterday as well. Managed to get 3 in the boat off Connie today. Oak Bay to Sooke things have slowed down in the last couple weeks IMO.

It was pretty slow, but we managed 13 and 10lb Springs(no seals)
and released a 20lb Halibut.
once again, right on the bottom.
What a beauty day out there :D

What are you guys doing with the little codfish? Sounds like they are too small to make a meal, but let me tell you, there is nothing better for hali bait. I am not very experienced sport fishing halibut, but lots of years long lining proved to me just how deadly they are.

Is it pretty common to see so many out there? I know there was a targeted drag fishery for them on the bank a few decades ago, but the few times I've fished out there, later in the season, I haven't really seen them. Perhaps one fish species is actually making a come-back?

From the DFO site, it looks like there is no closed season, no min or max size limit, a daily limit of 8 and a possession limit of 16. I got this under "codfish" on the regulation table from the PDF of the printed regs, which covers Pacific Cod, Hake and Pollack. So make sure these little codfish are one of those before you follow this reg.

Apparently they were much more plentiful out there many years ago - maybe some of the oldtimers could confirm? I found an article on Pacific (true) Cod in an early version of the "How to catch bottomfish" series. Easy jiggin for the Cod in the JDF and Pudget Sound for specimen of 10 - 15 lbs. Hate to see you guys wasting them for bait etc if there are signs of them to recover...

don't worry there more than recovering.but could go just as fast.a few years ago in reny you could hardly catch a hali as there was so many true cod, then the next year gone.

Looks like alot of boats off the waterfront this morning.
Flat calm and high tide.

You guys do anything?

I didn't see any nets out. So what happened?

sleeping?

Picked up one in Ross Bay and lost a good one off the flag pole otherwise crazy quiet. Couple boats at Anglers had nada.

Another day that felt like summer out there though, gotta like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back