Victoria Reports 2015

After fishing every day since last Saturday I finally got a fish in the bucket. Green glow flasher and Sitka spoon. I had almost given up on the Sitka spoon but was told how to fish it and I am now a believer. Caught in the Gap in oak bay. Only about 5 or 6 lbs but it will be great an the BBQ. Thanks to Scott for some info.

Nice fish! What was it that you learned that helped you turn the corner? I am struggling a bit with this spoon.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

`Franko. Craven told me to keep the damn lure on the bottom. got that one fish and have lost 2 more since. Will hit the Gap at 05:30 tomorrow and drag that spoon through the sand for a few hours......

Nice fish! What was it that you learned that helped you turn the corner? I am struggling a bit with this spoon.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Ditto. There is something that some folks are doing that is different that is for sure. Here in Sooke I have had one hit on a Sitka in several hours of trolling (and lost the fish LOL!). I have bent the spoon, put the coloured strips on, trolled fast, trolled close to bottom, trolled mid-water and nothing else has hit it.

Yet I know Wolf (Blue Wolf Charters) gets some big fish on it pretty much every time out. Although he is a fishing god, so perhaps not a fair comparison.......:D

The Sitka spoon works, only thing I've used in the last 3 months.
20lb & 10 lb Springs today

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2076.jpg
    2076.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited by a moderator:
Got out this morning and found this guy 40' down in 49' on the new AP Herring spoon that I've been working on. No flasher on the line. Oak bay propper. Thick 20lb hatch and the head is going in the return box.

And as Craven said, keep the Sandlance on the bottom and it should work if there are fish there. Some guys tell me they work best for them slow, some say fast. Most important...if the fish are on bottom put it on bottom.
image.jpg

Got out this morning and found this guy 40' down in 49' on the new AP Herring spoon that I've been working on. No flasher on the line. Oak bay propper. Thick 20lb hatch and the head is going in the return box.

And as Craven said, keep the Sandlance on the bottom and it should work if there are fish there. Some guys tell me they work best for them slow, some say fast. Most important...if the fish are on bottom put it on bottom.
View attachment 19150

I like that design of herring spoon Andrew...

Out both days this weekend,limited both days on springs 12-21 lbs..We also kept a halibut and released sole ,ling,rockfish,coho and of course pinks .Great times catching close to home.Now I have to decide if it's worth going to Bamfield as planned to catch 2 under 77 cm.Grrrrrrrr.

Where did you catch all that around Victoria? You know if ya don't go to Bamfield you will always be second guessing yourself! That's why I'm going up......

Talked with one of my sons about the new regs. in Bamfield and he's fine with keeping the smaller fish as I am so we'll still be heading to McKay Bay Aug.20-23.If we catch a trophy size fish we'll take a quick picture and maybe a measurement and release. Barrie,I was jigging on Constance,the trollers looked like they were getting mostly pinks.Flat water and slackish tides were perfect for jigging from 6-10 AM.

Looks like you've created another good spoon Andrew! Must be very satisfying hooking them on something you've created on your own, somewhat similar to tying a nice fly. Cheers

There was a great bite on yesterday morning in Oak Bay. Had 7 solid spring on in 2 hours in a quiet little eddie with no one around. 50' of water, gear any depth! It started with a double header too and no need for flashers. Saw a big slab rolling on the surface. Herring and Sandlance spoons. Brought home these two beauties.
View attachment 19163View attachment 19162

Rayvon,
Thanks for the info, I was one of the guys hauling pinks out there! They were even taking WCVI size spoons. Don't recognize you in the new boat, You must miss the "free" summer moorage at Daves old place!!

Yes,We had a lot of fun at Daves over the years.I was in the grey Tiderunner that was running back and forth to the hump,loving the new boat so far.I hear the new owner hasn't removed the name from my old boat "Rayvon",and I haven't decided what to call the new one.Rayvon 2?,Old Grey One? I don't know who saw it but "Outfitters" 30 Grady was inches away from wiping out the front of my boat.He had 6 people on board and they were all looking aft,nobody steering.I was drifting and thought that he was coming close to talk and I yelled as they headed right at me 10 ft away.If my motor had not started first kick so I could reverse away we would both be looking at big damage bills today.He said he had a fish on and a tangle up,obviously no excuse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back