Victoria Reports 2015

Thanks Hambone. It sure does feel good to create something that works for both me and others. It's all my grandpa's fault who taught me to tie fly's a the age of 5 or 6. I am pretty sure I have cursed/blessed my boys with the same fate!

Looks like you've created another good spoon Andrew! Must be very satisfying hooking them on something you've created on your own, somewhat similar to tying a nice fly. Cheers

Very cool footage, Andrew.

My vacation starts in 10 days and you're making those last 10 days go VERY slow with your recent posts. LOL

Thanks Hambone. It sure does feel good to create something that works for both me and others. It's all my grandpa's fault who taught me to tie fly's a the age of 5 or 6. I am pretty sure I have cursed/blessed my boys with the same fate!
Excellent brace of fish there Andrew! My word!!
Cannot tell for sure whether the top spoon in the pic of the fish on the grass is the Sitka sandlance or your new herring lure. Either way it looks pretty bent, so unless the fish did that, I'm gonna try bending my sandlance even more to see if I can get more strikes and maybe get a fish like that in Sooke. Still not got anything bigger than 14lbs this season LOL....:D

Roland,

I wouldn't go playing with your bend unless it is deformed from the original. I really never touch mine for the bend other than bending back into original shape, which takes quite a few fish, IMO.

In the pic they are both new herring version although they both were getting hits, which has the same bend profile as the sandlance. The outside profile is much different. It would have to be a very big fish to bend these new ones. They are like tanks.

Excellent brace of fish there Andrew! My word!!
Cannot tell for sure whether the top spoon in the pic of the fish on the grass is the Sitka sandlance or your new herring lure. Either way it looks pretty bent, so unless the fish did that, I'm gonna try bending my sandlance even more to see if I can get more strikes and maybe get a fish like that in Sooke. Still not got anything bigger than 14lbs this season LOL....:D

I like a bit more aggressive bend at the tail section which seems to improve the darting action.

Attachments

• sitka.jpg
    sitka.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 553
Was out for lunch downtown today on a patio when the wind started to howl and blow all the umbrellas around. For kicks, drove down to Dallas Road -- weather station at Ogden Point is showing a sustained wind at 48kph with gusts well over that! Watched a smaller boat limp home from Constance Bank in the slop -- would like to hear the story on that ride if it was one of us.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150720_131459.jpg
    20150720_131459.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,074
Andrew...
When are we going to get a shot at those new Sitka Herring Spoons?
They look like they would be great with the bigger bait around now.

Thanks!
Tips

Rayvon,
Outfitters guides some of them are beauties. Kid in that Grady 28 came by me 25 feet away a week or so ago off clover, full bore and thinking it's funny. I gave him a little return present on Sunday on Constance. Same Grady 28 almost hit me on the flats last year. Their mothers must be so proud of them. I'm sure they would act differently if they could afford to buy a boat.

Strange I had the same thing happen on one of my Stitka's on Tuesday. Not sure when the hook came off just noticed it during a bait check, my buddy had lost a fish earlier on that rod, but didn't notice at the time.. Love the spoon but maybe it would be wise to check how the hooks attached.
A friend caught a 22 pound Chinook off Pedder bay Sunday July 12th and it had a brand new SS Siwash hook in its mouth. The ring was open so had obviously detached from the spoon. Might have been yours!

I have a batch in the works and of course my 'internet fishing friends', as my wife puts it, will be first to know.

Just to clarify, the Sandlance Spoon and the Anchovie and Herring Spoons are actually products of AP Tackleworks and technically not Sitka products. That said, Sitka resells the spoons and they will be available there very soon for folks to try. About the split rings....the ones on the Sandlance are 40lb test and I have tested them.....so perhaps lighten up on the drag and let those big guys run!! ;)

Ok, this is a fishing report thread though....so back to reports! Anyone out in the gale yesterday?!

Andrew...
When are we going to get a shot at those new Sitka Herring Spoons?
They look like they would be great with the bigger bait around now.

Thanks!
Tips

Gave the flats a spin after work tonight -- 1 x 18 hatchery and a long line release of another reel screamer.

Out to Constance at 8 this morning, produced nothing but pinks , so moved to OB flats at 10am where we picked up 2 springs. A fiesty 13lber that I thought a seal had grabbed because it took off on a good run and was splashing around a few hundred feet behind the boat, but not a mark on him.

Was checking the regs and there hasn't been an update to area 19 since the "one over 67cm" expired on July 17th. So I take it, we're just back to normal -- 2 Chinook over 45cms (north of Cadboro Point) and over 65cms south of Cadboro Point?

plus...
2 Coho (hatchery only until Oct)

4 Pinks

combined total 4 salmon per day..., 2 days posession

Thanks -- just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

BTW -- tried the Craven-mod on the Andrew P spoon -- hook on a swivel attached to the slip ring. The spoon wasn't in the water more than 5 minutes last night after the mod when it got hit hard, and I pulled up a 12lb chinook. Gives the spoon a bit more of a tail wiggle.

Bait all over Oak Bay last night -- was a light flood all evening -- stayed out until about 730 until the wind started to build. Massive bait balls marking on the sounder at all depths -- showing many fish as well, I am assuming mostly pinks. Both fish I kept were full of needle fish.

Have a bunch of family in town from North Carolina next week -- hoping the pinks stick around so the kids can have some fun.

BTW -- tried the Craven-mod on the Andrew P spoon -- hook on a swivel attached to the slip ring. The spoon wasn't in the water more than 5 minutes last night after the mod when it got hit hard, and I pulled up a 12lb chinook. Gives the spoon a bit more of a tail wiggle.

How are you attaching the hook to the swivel? Do you use swivel with a snap link attached?? Or are you using a second split ring?

Back